World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im always changing diffrent strains of line can you get diffrent spools so i dont keep on wasteing line on a line change

also it has a line guide on it would it have to have a diffrent cadge for it or do i just take off the guide

·
Registered
696 Posts
yeah you can get different spools, try flea bay. And i believe you can take level winds off most multipliers, but dont know how tho. maybe try your local tackle shop. I dont use them as the leader knot hits this and it make casting awkward.

hope this helps

·
Registered
221 Posts
You will need a strengthening bar to replace the level wind, as the cage could be too flexible without it. Lots of tackle shops stock them. You can also buy seperate cages without the level wind.

Lots of anglers just have different reels for different line strengths, as it is much quicker to swap reels on the beach if needed. Sometimes, if I just need to use a particular breaking strain once or twice, I will wind the line onto an old boat multiplier or fly reel if I intend to use it again.

D

·
0 Posts
to do a propper conversion on the 6500 u have to cut a bar out of it as well as remove the level wind.this gives you more room to grip the spool when casting.

but if your happy with just the level wind removed,fair play to ya.....dave.:)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I was given one of these reels a couple of weeks ago and think it's brilliant. removing the level wind is not really on the cards yet until i get used to casting but it don't half go!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
the conversion kits cost about the same amount as the CT cage.

i don't think the spools are too much new either.

give pure fishing a ring on 08450500091.

if they're too expensive or can't get you the stuff you need i can try and get a price of the reel repairer who does abu's. it might take me a while though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
allright all you multiplier thougherbreds,this will probally make you boys cringe,im really a fixed spool bloke i cant seem to get on with a multiplier,and i admire all you boys that can, especially when i see you all on the beach giving the cast the big one without holding back,if i done that !! well lets not even go there ,a multiplier is just not for me,however having said all that ,i do own and use one ,it is a abu 6500 ,dont ask what model or anything because i dont know, but i can tell you it is over 15 years old,i bought it when i was going to become the casting champion of the world (didnt happen ),my reel has a level wind on it,i know that because of the gearing on level winds they slow a cast down and so reduce distance and as one thread states the leader knot catches on guide bars,and this is one of the problems that i had,because at the time the reel cost a pretty penny i did not want to get rid of it,so to overcome the problem of the leader knot catching on level wind bars i just got a round tapered bar and carefully splayed the bars apart increasing the gap size by about 50%,and ive not had a problem with leader knots since,ever since that day ive used the reel for short to middle distance fishing and had no problems.every now and then i used to think that i had mastered the reel and yeah youve got it i;d give it the big one and it all went tits up on me,now i dont bother i just stay within my boundarys and use it the best way for me .:)thank **** for fixed spools.
kjp.

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
must admit i started out ona fixed spool but when going rock fishing and off high areas the fixed spool just didnt perform so i though id give a multiplyer a bash and since then ive been with multi's

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
i really wouldnt start changing spools on a multi while your out fishing. you only need to drop and loose one tiny part of the reel and your going home. far better to get a second hand reel as a spare. i carry at least 3 reels while fishing all suited to the venue i,m going to. a quick change over only takes seconds.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
i really wouldnt start changing spools on a multi while your out fishing. you only need to drop and loose one tiny part of the reel and your going home. far better to get a second hand reel as a spare. i carry at least 3 reels while fishing all suited to the venue i,m going to. a quick change over only takes seconds.
Same a s Bill,i carry a sl30sh with 30lb line,supermag with 18lb line and an abu 6500 sports rocket with 12lb line,very simple and quick to change over,and covers any venue i attend

1 - 11 of 11 Posts