World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to take apart my Leeda Piranha 5500 rear drag. But having issues getting the thing apart

How do I get that center pin out, so I can slide it out?

I need to get to the rear drag mainly as its sticking. Seems like you have to take it all apart before you can get to the back.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Take it to a shop who knows what they are doing, as you may never get it going again

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tbh, would like to do it myself. Cant be that hard, just need someone to get me past that one trouble some part.
Anyway, this reel was my very 1st, so wasnt expensive & see it more as a learning reel.
Have a good mind to replace it with a descent front drag shim though :drunk:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Saw a post on taking rear drag reels appart on here a while back,do a search and see if you can find it

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
You'll need to take the body apart first to get the oscillating shaft off (the bit with the pin ringed in your photo). It disengages inside the gubbins (usually with a little pin) and then just pulls out ... then you can take the roller head off. The body always has to be opened up first on a fixed spool.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll need to take the body apart first to get the oscillating shaft off (the bit with the pin ringed in your photo). It disengages inside the gubbins (usually with a little pin) and then just pulls out ... then you can take the roller head off. The body always has to be opened up first on a fixed spool.
Ive taken all the screws I can get to out but the body doesnt seem to come apart. Something seems to be keeping it together still :headhurt: Ok, will keep looking to find the hidden screw! :S

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Trying to take apart my Leeda Piranha 5500 rear drag. But having issues getting the thing apart

How do I get that center pin out, so I can slide it out?

I need to get to the rear drag mainly as its sticking. Seems like you have to take it all apart before you can get to the back.
You need a hedgehog

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Ive taken all the screws I can get to out but the body doesnt seem to come apart. Something seems to be keeping it together still :headhurt: Ok, will keep looking to find the hidden screw! :S
Take a look at the rear drag knob ... I've come across a few that need that taken off first (little screw under that rubber sleave that goes round it). Once the knob is off the rear (shiny) cover comes off and you are away. Sometimes the shiny cover just slips off. ****** fixed spools are a pain sometimes

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take a look at the rear drag knob ... I've come across a few that need that taken off first (little screw under that rubber sleave that goes round it). Once the knob is off the rear (shiny) cover comes off and you are away. Sometimes the shiny cover just slips off. ****** fixed spools are a pain sometimes
Ah, the rubber sleave does come off to reveal a clamp. This came off & was able to pull off the drag knob & get to the drag washers. This was mainly what I needed, Thanks Blackdog :punk:

Still didnt manage to find how to get that shiny cover off as looks like I may break it if I tried hard enough.
All back together now though & with a smoother drag :clap3: (Drag washers prob need replacing as look abit worn but not sure if I will find any replacements)

See Meanstreak, as I said its a learning reel & Im learning.. Forums are there to learn from...

You need a hedgehog
Err what the hell is that? Cant really make out what its doing :S

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
If you took it to a shop they would have put new drag washers in it and given it a lube up, the tool is used to push the pin out,

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes but that costs money which I dont need to spend. They will last the time for what I use it for & that will be sometime though...
Its all about money savings in these hard times Meanstreak... Every penny counts ;)

Forgot to mention that the service would prob cost as much as the reel, so another reason to DIY...

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Its a good job you didn't knacker it as you would then have to buy a replacement,

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
they would have put new drag washers in it
I reckon they would have struggled like hell to get new drag washers for it personally. As with most ****** stuff, spares do not seem to be an important issue.

The shiny cover usually "unclips" or slides off ... you need to be a bit brave ... but ultimately you've done what you need to do.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its a good job you didn't knacker it as you would then have to buy a replacement,
Idd I was lucky :p

I reckon they would have struggled like hell to get new drag washers for it personally. As with most ****** stuff, spares do not seem to be an important issue.

The shiny cover usually "unclips" or slides off ... you need to be a bit brave ... but ultimately you've done what you need to do.
Yeah I couldnt find any info on the reel, so spares I think would have been impossible.
Just gotta try it out now & see how goes. Maybe next time I will brave it abit more & try to get it apart.

Maybe the "Headghog" is for newer & better made reels!!

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Idd I was lucky :p

Yeah I couldnt find any info on the reel, so spares I think would have been impossible.
Just gotta try it out now & see how goes. Maybe next time I will brave it abit more & try to get it apart.

Maybe the "Headghog" is for newer & better made reels!!
Its for pushing out the pressed in pin at the front ... but that will only allow you to get the roller head off so it's pretty pointless for getting at gears and internals.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah thats how you get it out.
Looking under the roller head, there are some screws which cant be got to without it coming off (Maybe with a right angle driver). Not sure if they would also need to come out to get to the internals? :wacko:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Ah thats how you get it out.
Looking under the roller head, there are some screws which cant be got to without it coming off (Maybe with a right angle driver). Not sure if they would also need to come out to get to the internals? :wacko:
Alan Tani has a theory that Shimano & Daiwa spinning reels are priced at $1 per individual part, hence he avoids them like the plague. He has no fear about ripping in to any conventional reel but has a morbid aversion to eggbeaters.

If you want to while away more hours than there are in a day, take a look at Alan's website

1 - 20 of 21 Posts