World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( can any body be of help? i'm looking for a cheap uptider or boat rod and a L/H multiplier to fish off mumbles,swansea. i've done only a small amount of sea fishing, so i don't really know either to go for a boat or uptider rod, your help is greatly needed quickly, as the cod are starting to move in!!!!!!!!!!

regards,

andytred

ps

can you also recommend a good left wind multiplier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cant comment on the reel, but as for rods I'm amazed at how cheap these things are. I suggest a trip to a decent angling shop near the coast and have a gander.

D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Andytred,

You can downtide with an uptide but you cannot uptide with a downtide.

My opinion is to purchase an uptide rod i.e. if most of your angling trips will be from uptide venues. Your rod will also be capable of downtiding especially when using lures for Bass and Pollock.

Once again that is my opinion and maybe not that of others.

Whatever you decide DO NOT BUY A CHEAP ROD.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Andytred

The tides around Swansea are quite strong. With an uptider you can still use fairly small weights and still hold bottom. A good uptider should have a flexible tip (so the boat movement does not pull the grip weight out) but should then be fairly stiff in the middle, and butt section to give good lift of heavy fish. Fortunately there are loads of suitable uptiders and you can get a reasonable one for around £20 - £30 with a top of the range one around £100. I’ve used both ranges and apart from the expensive ones tend to be lighter, and are slightly nicer to use I didn’t find much difference (they both catch fish). Another advantage of an uptider is that it can be used as a short range beach caster, which can come in handy if your boat trip is called off at the last minute.

Regarding left hand reels you won’t have as much choice. The most commonly used uptide reels are the ABU 7000 range. I prefer the level wind version but that’s your choice. ABU reels tend to go on forever, I bought my 7000 nearly 25 years ago and its been used and abused ever since. Its needed only 2 new spools and a new handle in all that time. I believe there is a left hand version (I think its called a 7001) which may be worth you considering, its not the cheapest reel but I’ve owned loads of cheap reels and they just don’t last.

Hope this helps, good luck with the cod.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
By size 14 what do you mean
If it's your feet join the club being 6'8" aint to handy either! :angry: :angry:
drop me a line if you want about footwear if you want as I have some info if needed
Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts