World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a new rod for beach casting however im having a problem with my casting,what im worrying about is when im letting the line out do i need to hold the line ? or should i just let it go? and if i do will it just all tangle up? what i meen is when you lift the bail arm and cast should you keep a finger on the line going out ? also the weights i have bought all vary in size, if i use a larger one could it weaken my rod and cause eventual snapping? id prefer to use a larger one to stop it moving with the tide! im really struggling you might think these things are obvious but i really have no idea! and im going to illfracombe in devon is that a good spot for catching?
please tell me your opinions!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have just bought a new rod for beach casting however im having a problem with my casting,what im worrying about is when im letting the line out do i need to hold the line ? or should i just let it go? and if i do will it just all tangle up? what i meen is when you lift the bail arm and cast should you keep a finger on the line going out ? also the weights i have bought all vary in size, if i use a larger one could it weaken my rod and cause eventual snapping? id prefer to use a larger one to stop it moving with the tide! im really struggling you might think these things are obvious but i really have no idea! and im going to illfracombe in devon is that a good spot for catching?

hi mate, and welcome.

Firstly, your rod will have a casting weight rating, a lower and an upper limit. Trying to cast weights outwith these limits is asking for trouble, including a broken rod.

When casting with a fixed spool reel, you need to hold the line with your index finger while opening the bail arm. You only let go of the line once the rod is pointing in the direction you want to cast, ie at the end of the casting action.

Cant help with your other query.

Let me know how you get on.

Bill

·
Registered
6,715 Posts

hi kiemcd222

welcome to the wsf matey

i think cononfisher has covered the basics but if you dont mind me asking where abouts in lancashire are you matey ?????

tightlines..........................daz

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
hi and welcome to the site. to get a grip with lighter leads look for wired grip leads. check the casting weight of your rod. [ should be on the blank] and definately dont go over that.

before casting hold the rod with one finger around the reel foot. put the line around your index finger behind the line of the front of the spool. then you can open the bail arm without line spilling off. as you cast over your head let go of the line pointing up at 45 degrees towards the sky. only let go of the line with your finger not the whole rod. lots of people new to casting actually let go of the rod and hold onto the butt when casting:uhuh:

good luck

·
Registered
424 Posts
what i meen is when you lift the bail arm and cast should you keep a finger on the line going out ?
After releasing the line during a cast you just let it go until the lead hits the water. You should then put your finger on the lip of the spool to stop excess line from flowing off in the wind. Keep your finger on the lip, applying just enough pressure to stop the line billowing in the wind while allowing the line to slip off the spool as the lead sinks. As soon as the lead hits the bottom engage the bail arm and wind in any slack line.

Your rod ought to have a casting weight range, i.e., 4-8oz, printed on it. Always keep within this range. If you need a heavier weight than this to hold bottom then you need a stronger rod.

Tight lines,

John

·
Registered
184 Posts
After releasing the line during a cast you just let it go until the lead hits the water. You should then put your finger on the lip of the spool to stop excess line from flowing off in the wind. Keep your finger on the lip, applying just enough pressure to stop the line billowing in the wind while allowing the line to slip off the spool as the lead sinks. As soon as the lead hits the bottom engage the bail arm and wind in any slack line.

Your rod ought to have a casting weight range, i.e., 4-8oz, printed on it. Always keep within this range. If you need a heavier weight than this to hold bottom then you need a stronger rod.

Tight lines,

John
thats good well explained sound advice mate,practise your casting and good luck,you,ll soon be belting them out there no worries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts