World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a week in Wales catching some reef pollock I was pleased to get out without a paddle yesterday. After a sudden change in plan, myself, my Turkish mate Ibrahim and his 10 yr old ran down the western Solent with the ebb tide. Flat calm.

Mackerel were hard to come by off the Needles but we got a few. Beautiful conditions were made better when a school of dolphin came along to keep us company. They were mobbed by ribs and jet skis and didn’t stay for long.

Anchored up for the beginning of the flood tide and we’re straight into bream.

Overall a good day. Lots of bream best about 2lb which I’ve just had for dinner, big scad, a few mackerel, conger to 25lb, dogs but no hounds or tope which surprised me.

My 10 year old guest was relentless. Want to continually reel the lines in, snagging them. Fried us mackerel for lunch. Was happy to descale the bream and had qualms about holding the fish. No sooner did we begin the car drive home he fell fast asleep. Happy memories for him.

Attachments

·
The Cheeky Essex Lure Fisher, joined March 2010
5,584 Posts
After a week in Wales catching some reef pollock I was pleased to get out without a paddle yesterday. After a sudden change in plan, myself, my Turkish mate Ibrahim and his 10 yr old ran down the western Solent with the ebb tide. Flat calm.

Mackerel were hard to come by off the Needles but we got a few. Beautiful conditions were made better when a school of dolphin came along to keep us company. They were mobbed by ribs and jet skis and didn’t stay for long.

Anchored up for the beginning of the flood tide and we’re straight into bream.

Overall a good day. Lots of bream best about 2lb which I’ve just had for dinner, big scad, a few mackerel, conger to 25lb, dogs but no hounds or tope which surprised me.

My 10 year old guest was relentless. Want to continually reel the lines in, snagging them. Fried us mackerel for lunch. Was happy to descale the bream and had qualms about holding the fish. No sooner did we begin the car drive home he fell fast asleep. Happy memories for him.
hate dolphins being mobbed
in the states it just wouldnt happen unless u want a big fine
nice fishing on the bream
great eating fish

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Lovely weather to be at sea Paul, and a good mix of fish. I gave the weekend a miss - expected it to be very busy on and off the water.

·
Registered
210 Posts
great fishing - i miss the needles - im IOW born and bread - but live in weymouth now (cant complain too much!)

wreckfisher it was pretty busy on Saturday, lots of pleasure craft about - plenty fishing the ledges - i didnt go out far was just doing a sightseeing tour with family!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve - was very busy in the afternoon and took a long time to drive home up the M3.

Mike - must be a bummer catching turbot and brill and not Solent Salmon!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well done, some great fishing memories for the lad there. I saw that yacht sailing along Bournemouth on sat...she's quite often moored up in Poole harbour...belongs to a currency exchange founder and cost 110,000,000 apparently.

·
Registered
210 Posts
"SV Golden Horizon is a steel-hulled five-masted barque rigged tall ship which is intended to be used as a cruise ship. Originally named Flying Clipper, luxury vessel was designed by Polish naval architect Zygmunt Choreń, for Star Clippers Ltd. of Sweden, and built by the Brodosplit Shipyard in Split, Croatia. She is the largest sailing ship ever launched. Her design was based on France II, a famous French five-mast cargo windjammer built in 1911.[1]

Due to a dispute with the shipyard, she was never delivered to Star Clippers. Instead, she has been chartered by Tradewind Voyages and renamed Golden Horizon.[2]

She will enter into operation in May 2021"

shes been in Portland and Weymouth bay recently too!.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"SV Golden Horizon is a steel-hulled five-masted barque rigged tall ship which is intended to be used as a cruise ship. Originally named Flying Clipper, luxury vessel was designed by Polish naval architect Zygmunt Choreń, for Star Clippers Ltd. of Sweden, and built by the Brodosplit Shipyard in Split, Croatia. She is the largest sailing ship ever launched. Her design was based on France II, a famous French five-mast cargo windjammer built in 1911.[1]

Due to a dispute with the shipyard, she was never delivered to Star Clippers. Instead, she has been chartered by Tradewind Voyages and renamed Golden Horizon.[2]

She will enter into operation in May 2021"

shes been in Portland and Weymouth bay recently too!.
Stunning craft. From some angles the masts look like a giant waffle!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Looks a great day out. The weather was wonderful, glad your crew enjoyed themselves your friends son looks delighted. Let’s hope this unsettled spell passes shortly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts