World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent a week fishing around this area.

All my fishing was carried out by spinning. I fished for four days throughout the week and on every occasion i caught 15 or more mackerel. Other fish were taken which included pollock and coalfish. One squid was also caught. Best number of fish caught in one day was 47. Mostly small coalfish. The big pollock show when conditions calm down. Thats when the fun begins.
Best times to fish this area are at low tide and calm sea conditions.

If the weather is rough then i would suggest staying away from the rocks as they are dangerous.

On a different note: Whilst fishing this area during the summer keep an eye out for the dolphins, seals, orcas and sharks.

All in all a fantastic time had at Neist Point as i always do when i fish this location.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Top mark Neist, just wish it was 10 miles down the road from me instead of 500+ LOL! What's access like there these days - heard there were a few problems a few years back with the new owner of the lighthouse.

Cheers - John

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No probs with access. In fact they have turned a couple of buidlings into accomodation that you can hire out. :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
FlounderAl

Did you stay locally to the mark? I could do with a wee break this summer –*can you give me any further details re costs for renting a b&b locally etc? My son loves fishing and has a thing about basking sharks etc at the moment so it sounds like a great place.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Blenny

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blenny said:
FlounderAl

Did you stay locally to the mark? I could do with a wee break this summer –*can you give me any further details re costs for renting a b&b locally etc? My son loves fishing and has a thing about basking sharks etc at the moment so it sounds like a great place.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Blenny
Blenny

I stayed at a place called Skinidin which is near to Dunvegan. It took me about 20 mins to get to Neist Point from there and there are tons of b&b places around there. The best thing i can say is to search the net for some. Yes i did say that you can stay locally at Neist Lighthouse. I don't know if they have a website but i have lost the number for the person to contact. Best thing to do is try to contact the Skye tourist board in Portree and see if they have the number.

Official Skye website

Skye Accomodation

As for the sharks well there are a few around there at the moment. Also there are Orca whales (Killer whales) which are there for the seal cubs.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi

Just been looking on the web and found a place 10 mins walk from the lighthouse etc. Looks good at £17.50 a night. Sent an enquiry to the proprioters. Was there any bait about on the rocks/beaches? Might be a long journey to take crab/mackerel in the car!! :eek:

I saw on there website that there is also fishing trips and boat trips.

Let you know if I go and how I get on!

Blenny

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blenny

There is a small fishing tackle shop in Portree and Dunvegan. If you can get the numbers for them they might be able to order some in for you. Also Skye is a big fish industry area. They might have some for sale at the markets?

Keep us informed on how you and your lad get on.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Cheers Flounder

Must say you're a dab hand at finding out the right plaice for a trip!
Some might say you're brill.

Sorry. "Doctor, my medication please."

:(

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Don't forget your midge repellant!

When I fished it in the late 1980s I used large Dexter wedges and 6" Redgills, plus feathers. The big lures I cast well out, felt for them hitting the seabed then quickly wound clear of the snags. A steady retrieve up the submerged rockface then did the trick - pollack to 6lb, coalies, mackerel, and even ling to a few lb!

Enjoy!

John

·
Registered
423 Posts
Oh yes, I've already stocked up on the strong stuff as I take a bad reaction to midge bites! Thought I was ok at Gourock last week until one must have crawled up my jeans and bitten me three times around the knee!!!

Got some feedback from a local landlord who has a room and a boat that he doesn't mind taking out for the fishing. Sounds good!

Will keep you posted if I go etc. There should be a guide for others to use on this site –*would be good.

Blenny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts