World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi...yes ..!!.today nemo and i headed out with company of the happy hooker and crew..to see if we could bag a bass or two...

sea conditions were ok but not totally flat..i left brian and david to catch a few mackeral while i headed out to hit a quick wreck mark before heading back in.. it was a bit of a waste of time really as 4 drifts produced nothing on livebaits..and only scad on feathers..

still i tried .. so it was off back inshore to drift with the floats and prawns..the ones i gathered yesterday..if i was not fishing today i would have tried to eat them..
after several hours drifting and with a falling tide i decided to see how the others were doing..
with things not going well for me i got out my trusty plugs and with the ob in tickover i headed along the coast towards brighton... half an hour produced nothing only a seagull that decided to pick up the plug on the retrieve..lucky for him he dropped it..as i had visions of seagull pie..
anyway no longer had i got the plug back in the water when i gets a take ..waaay to go..yes a small bass the same size as the plug... number 1

as the time marched on and the tide was falling..i headed out to a small mark that produced a bass for me last week so with the hooker in tow we headed off to the mark..first drift on the prawns and billy number 2 came aboard..again small but its a fish..

great a quick call to the hooker boys had them racing over to me like a demented cat..
after a couple of more drifts and the hooker elsewhere i gets a third bass of the day again on the drifted prawns.. again small...

as the day was wearing on and the water dropping fast we headed in ,and for home,,

still that now makes the score andy..9 bass
brian...?..an update after his report...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Nice report Andy, well done for getting out even though it was a bit lumpy, I should have Lady R back up and running next week so if you fancy a midweek try we'll go and play with the big boys on those ofshore wrecks.....:secret:

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice report Andy, well done for getting out even though it was a bit lumpy, I should have Lady R back up and running next week so if you fancy a midweek try we'll go and play with the big boys on those ofshore wrecks.....:secret:
hi..cool..!!..looks like i`ll be on tea and net duty again...!!

need a billy over 4lb..still cannot do it..i think its down to you chris,terry or jd to put me onto one...i would be most grateful....

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi ..cheers rob,it was calmer than last thursdays trip..
i still need to find a bigger one thou..the scads i had were quite big,but will keep it in mind for my next trip out..
is there anyway i can improve the presentation of prawns..i had a small spoon 8 inchs above the prawns today bouncing them on the bottom..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great report Andy. Good to see you guys going out and catching some bass.

Out of interest how far out do you guys go??

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great report Andy. Good to see you guys going out and catching some bass.

Out of interest how far out do you guys go??
the exact mark fished is top secret..with only three people knowing its where abouts..but its a long haul to get there..but todays session under the cliffs saw brian almost on the beach...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
hi ..cheers rob,it was calmer than last thursdays trip..
i still need to find a bigger one thou..the scads i had were quite big,but will keep it in mind for my next trip out..
is there anyway i can improve the presentation of prawns..i had a small spoon 8 inchs above the prawns today bouncing them on the bottom..
Prawns are easy to present Andy...just hook them through the tail about 2 or 3 segments down with the point coming out of the back (as long as they are lively!).
Personaly (with tuition from a good bass fisherman) I float for them. Work out the depth you are in and get them approx 1m from bottom...find an area where there is flow (will take the float away from the boat) and leave in freespool but keep a good eye on the float.
Very early morning/tide run is best.
All assuming you are inshore. My best so far is 8lb.

Alan

·
Registered
697 Posts
As Andy said we headed off out together, and he left us trying to get some livebait just outside the harbour. With livebait onboard we headed off to play with some floats close in. We had a few lesuirely hours watching the float, drinking tea and listening to the cricket!

We caught up with Andy later later in the day and headed back towards home, stopping on the way to pick up a few mackerel, whilst doing this Andy rung to say he had another billy on and whilst on the phone to him I picked a small one up onb the feathers as well, only to knock it off swinging it in the boat.

Not a lot to show for the day but it was nice to be out in the sun after 3 weeks enforced lay up due to the crap weather seeming to know when my days off are.

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice report Andy. Although you're not getting the big one you're after, doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong, small uns are better than blanks :)
hi...funny thou ive had 20 now in 3 years boating and still cannot get a four pounder+..
but in my days of shore angling i had 2x10 pounders and very rarely caught schoolies...

locotion is the key..im learning fast..
if you find a place thats frequented by smaller bass..would you expect the same place to produce a big one,,
or do the two not mix..

·
Registered
322 Posts
well done andy
hope to get out this week been busy working
brian got his work to do now
tempted to give the beach ago this week
keep trying for the big 1 he will come.:happy:

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
big thanks darren your info is top dollor..as always..

why does brian get the top pout marks and i get bass marks...?

hope to see you down there this week then..

·
Registered
696 Posts
well done andy
hope to get out this week been busy working
brian got his work to do now
tempted to give the beach ago this week
keep trying for the big 1 he will come.:happy:
Is old George a bit of a slave driver then daz....keep in with Brian as I want all the pout he can catch for live bait....but I think Andy may have cracked m8 as he's throwing flounder spoons at them now :doh:

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is old George a bit of a slave driver then daz....keep in with Brian as I want all the pout he can catch for live bait....but I think Andy may have cracked m8 as he's throwing flounder spoons at them now :doh:
no not a flounder spoon..a bass spoon...if you find one of your teaspoons on lady r is missing the bowl.. you know where its gone...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts