World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all last night when i went baiting with tomsrighthook, i was shocked to find gullys on walney channel with nets in them. i went back down today and there were loads more, some with mullet in them. i realy dont see the point in doing it + my bike got robbed + 2 crabs :uhuh: not a very good night at all

·
Registered
725 Posts
The channel isnt getting a chance to breathe this year, its very sickening :nonono:

Send me a pm with the area you saw the nets if thats ok mate.

Sorry to hear your bike got half hinched too.

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
they were opposite smite on the walney side of the channel

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was going out in my boat today and rapped that net around my prop opposite smite, it was low tide 3 foot under my keel (restricted movement) and the net was right across the channel.
Had to cut the net free, not easy and not helped by an irate net owner saying he was in the right to block the entire channel!

G

·
Please can we have no more posts about doing damage to nets. If anyone considers a net to be illegally placed then it should be reported to the authorities.

·
Registered
645 Posts
This has bin reported to the fisheries and the docks board by someone i know and they said he allowed to net the channel hes doing nothing wrong the only way he can get done if he gets caught selling the fish stupid realy its causeing more damagde than out else

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
This has bin reported to the fisheries and the docks board by someone i know and they said he allowed to net the channel hes doing nothing wrong the only way he can get done if he gets caught selling the fish stupid realy its causeing more damagde than out else
thats weird dukey. if he isnt selling fish him and his friends must be eating a hell of a lot. the other option is, the fish are going into crab pots?. the fact of the matter is, if a boats screw is likely to get fouled it could result in a nasty accident to any one of dozens of you lads launching from the slip.

·
Registered
349 Posts
hi all last night when i went baiting with tomsrighthook, i was shocked to find gullys on walney channel with nets in them. i went back down today and there were loads more, some with mullet in them. i realy dont see the point in doing it + my bike got robbed + 2 crabs :uhuh: not a very good night at all
Back in the seventies we went to fish the yatch club at Roe Island. Sat there waiting for the tide on a foggy morning we heard the sound of an engine. A trawler came slowly up the channel from seaward and disappeared in the fog. An hour or so later as the tide began to fill the channel he came back with his otter boards scraping either side of the channel. We all blanked that day. Wonder why?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Same with the trawlers if their under 10 meter they can trawl right up to the shore and that include up the channel iv bin told this but dont know how true it is

·
Short Arms Big Rod
1,537 Posts
Same with the trawlers if their under 10 meter they can trawl right up to the shore and that include up the channel iv bin told this but dont know how true it is

Yep ..seen a few small boats trawling right up to the shore down at hilpsford ...one of them was lucky not to get snagged (or worse) on the old breakwater stakes.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That is actually true. I've enquired in the past to the fisheries.

Ludicrous in my opinion.

·
Team Cumbria Captain
749 Posts
Byelaw No. 1 – revocation of byelaws heretofore in force
All byelaws heretofore in force in the Cumbria Sea Fisheries District are hereby revoked.
does that mean they have no bylaws in force :help:

G

·
All byelaws heretofore in force in the Cumbria Sea Fisheries District are hereby revoked.
Nope. Heretofore means up till now. so the old ones are killed off and new ones now apply.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
it mainly means gobbledegook, and its more complicated by the fact that when you are below the dudden area, the byelaws change. but if you want to simplify the barrow channel situation, the notice board by the slipway makes good reading:thumbs::thumbs:

·
Team Cumbria Captain
749 Posts
ill have a gander next time im over that way

1 - 20 of 24 Posts