World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's friends live down near Barassie beach and she has seen people regularly setting nets from the shore to catch fish which she thinks are sea bass.

She said they are down at the nets nearly every day and always seem to have caught fish. She walks her dog regularly in this area and this is why she is aware of this.

What are your thoughts on this? Also shows there are fish out there on Ayrshire beaches.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Far east oriental Asian appearance by any chance ? We had a serious problem with them around the mouths of various salmon and seatrout rivers and burns in the upper clyde a while back , were chased off a few times by game fishery baliffs I believe, so they are always looking for new grounds to set their cheap chinese made mono gill nets. They target anything that swims with no regards for conservation at all. The ones I came across on the upper clyde were coming all the way over from the lothian area at that time. I suspect they do it for commercial resale judging by the amount of times they were gill netting (every tide ).

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Oh dear ......well thats that area getting fecked then....lol
Cheers ken

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe they appear to be Chinese yes. My wife's friend thinks it is bass they are catching but have lots of them every day.

Can't be doing good for fish stocks in the area.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
506 Posts
If it's not legal call the polis.
If it is legal call everyone and their dog.Trusts, Environmental bodies, Marine Scotland, MSPs, MEPs, Green lobbies, everyone. Take a video and some photographs, post them on here and Youtube and everywhere else you can think of. Contact the local press. Sea Angler.
Just because something is legal it doesn't mean it's right or moral.

·
Registered
744 Posts
It is illegal. They are using single strand mono gill net. This is illegal everywhere in Scotland. If anyone sees anyone using it anywhere when they are out fishing put your knife through it and report it (for all the good that will do). They are also keeping more than one bass per day by the looks of things, rule is one per day for the whole of the UK now , no longer a cut off line at Loch Ryan.They are also keeping undersize fish,42cm is the minimum size for retention.

The Clyde has been hard fishing for a long time.There is great potential for a good bass fishery to develop if it gets a chance.If people want to see that happen then when they hear of things like this, or recreational anglers selling 9lbers (greedy bastard, i won't miss him next time i see him) report it to the relevant people, if you couldn't care less ignore it and watch it go the same way the pike fishing did.

The fault here lies with the authorities and ultimately the Scottish government.When was the last time anyone saw a sign with fisheries rules by the sea ? The people in charge of enforcement rarely appear to get off their arses to actually do anything inshore wise and their are more bums on seats at the fancy marine Scotland offices in Edinburgh than are actually tasked with doing the physical enforcement, so it's no wonder nothing is done.The people doing this probably don't know it's illegal and if no one explains the rules to them they will think it is fine.
SD

·
Registered
71 Posts
Who do you actually contact when you see what you suspect to be illegal fishing both inshore and the coast?
There's people at Torness every single day of the week filling up bags and freezers in vans with immature bass, surely whoever is responsible is aware of it at this point as it has been going on for years.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Who do you actually contact when you see what you suspect to be illegal fishing both inshore and the coast?
There's people at Torness every single day of the week filling up bags and freezers in vans with immature bass, surely whoever is responsible is aware of it at this point as it has been going on for years.
Maybe another way to deal with it is to put as many (anglers) on the mark at torness as possible and make it difficult and uncomfortable for them to take the bass. May help a wee bit if they get hassle every time they go down to bag up....
As nothing else has worked so far....
Cheers Ken

·
Registered
744 Posts
Marine Scotland compliance is the department to contact. If reporting an incident and it would be good if as many people as possible report this one ,please fill in the online form,DO NOT do it by telephone.The online form provides a public record of incident reports and makes it harder to ignore or forget about if they are busy.I have been informed by someone that has put reports in about other incidents that they will turn up to the area and look for these people,so it is worth doing.

Here are the links for reporting, the first one is the Marine Scotland compliance page and the second one is the report form.
https://www2.gov.scot/Topics/marine/Compliance
http://www.marine.scotland.gov.uk/mscomplainceForms/
SD

·
Registered
744 Posts
I will pass the info about it being illegal to my wife's friend for her to report the next time she sees them.

I had no idea if this was legal or not but thought I would see what the thoughts of the forum were.

Thanks for the information guys!
If possible could you ask her to fill the report form in , the link to it is in my previous post.
SD

·
Registered
654 Posts
Marine Scotland compliance is the department to contact. If reporting an incident and it would be good if as many people as possible report this one ,please fill in the online form,DO NOT do it by telephone.The online form provides a public record of incident reports and makes it harder to ignore or forget about if they are busy.I have been informed by someone that has put reports in about other incidents that they will turn up to the area and look for these people,so it is worth doing.

Here are the links for reporting, the first one is the Marine Scotland compliance page and the second one is the report form.
https://www2.gov.scot/Topics/marine/Compliance
http://www.marine.scotland.gov.uk/mscomplainceForms/
SD
Good info, is it worth the mods making the contact details a sticky for easy reference.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts