World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent thread talked of nets on the beach at Newborough putting him off fishing there even though he’d come a long way to fish. Those nets are a nuisance particularly as they are probably unlicensed. Locals are allowed to place nets until April it seems. Mind you if it’s the chap I’ve heard about, a builder who nets for a hobby, he had his nets down last year well into the first week in April. Someone photographed him, his car, trailer and nets and sent the evidence to DEFRA, but no action was taken! I met a chap from the Wirral there last April who has a caravan in Newborough. He gave me chapter and verse about this builder – it seems he boasts in the pub about 400 odd Bass in a week including a 14lber for example, and the arrogance to thumb his nose at the authorities. Of course it could be bravado and he's exaggerating but even 200 Bass and a 7lber is too much in my opinion! How many anglers I wonder would have been made up with just a couple of those fish if on holiday in Wales with the family?

There are some anglers who don't see any problem with this gill netting it seems even though many anglers spend a great deal of money/time coming down to catch and release just one Bass! There are some who do not appreciate that one tide's netting removes more fish than a year's angling, and the cupboard in many places is becoming bare! My thoughts are that times are changing and that the 'greedy' opportunist netters should be banned and any legitimate licences very carefully issued, and more importantly, policed. DEFRA seems to be more interested in the 'F' in its name - FOOD! Sports Angling is now an important 'Industry' in itself and part of Tourism. Perhaps the Welsh Tourist Board needs to be brought 'onside'?

There was a time when I built a coracle and launched it onto the Straits at the Gorad. It would not have been the first one there, as that was how my forebears would have caught fish for sale using 'paired-coracles' and a net! That was at a time when tons (literally!) of Herring were regularly netted in the Swellies every year along with many other species. It's true that many families lived off that 'industry'. They've gone of course just like those thousands who toiled in Slate Quarries! Times have changed and if there were enough fish about, then the inshore fishing industry would employ far more people than it can support now.

However there are individuals who still cling, mistakenly in my opinion, to some notion of the ‘traditional way of life’ in a mythical ‘golden’ past. In my opinion, speaking as a Historian, we’ve changed as a society, perhaps not for the best, but trying to ‘bring back’ the lost-past is just not logical. I don’t share the notion of walking the boundaries of my property, gun under my arm, and favourite dogs at my heel, to check my mantraps for poaching Welshmen!

There are some places where recent conservation has resulted in a relative increase in the numbers of Bass and other fish (herring again in the now cleaner Straits!). For example a couple of greedy anglers it seems caught a huge amount of Bass in a week last year. Not very sporting angling in my opinion and to be denigrated, but a trawl of these pages last year would reveal that this was definitely a one off! Most people would’ve enjoyed catching Bass but most did not particularly from the beach or shore! Well how many did you catch? As a lad I could catch a Bass from the Swellies most times/tides between June and October. I don’t class my self as an expert angler by any means, as those who have fished with me can tell you, but I do know my way around, but I can say that I have not caught a Bass from the Swellies in over three years. Am I really that cr*p? Can it be that this is the result of indiscriminate and illicit netting, because this has certainly taken place?

Inshore waters should now be considered the priority province of Sports Anglers. Legal commercial fishing in such places should be banned or very, very carefully chosen and controlled. Allied to this should be a form of fair compensation to those who would lose their legitimate employment. So far not one organisation has come up with a certain way to do this but to ignore the idea and continue paying lip-service to conservation whilst turning a blind, though I suspect envious, eye to the ‘greedy-good-old-boys’ presumed to be protecting an ‘ancient and traditional way of life as they empty the coastal cupboards.

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
:clap3:
A recent thread talked of nets on the beach at Newborough putting him off fishing there even though he’d come a long way to fish. Those nets are a nuisance particularly as they are probably unlicensed. Locals are allowed to place nets until April it seems. Mind you if it’s the chap I’ve heard about, a builder who nets for a hobby, he had his nets down last year well into the first week in April. Someone photographed him, his car, trailer and nets and sent the evidence to DEFRA, but no action was taken! I met a chap from the Wirral there last April who has a caravan in Newborough. He gave me chapter and verse about this builder – it seems he boasts in the pub about 400 odd Bass in a week including a 14lber for example, and the arrogance to thumb his nose at the authorities. Of course it could be bravado and he's exaggerating but even 200 Bass and a 7lber is too much in my opinion! How many anglers I wonder would have been made up with just a couple of those fish if on holiday in Wales with the family?

There are some anglers who don't see any problem with this gill netting it seems even though many anglers spend a great deal of money/time coming down to catch and release just one Bass! There are some who do not appreciate that one tide's netting removes more fish than a year's angling, and the cupboard in many places is becoming bare! My thoughts are that times are changing and that the 'greedy' opportunist netters should be banned and any legitimate licences very carefully issued, and more importantly, policed. DEFRA seems to be more interested in the 'F' in its name - FOOD! Sports Angling is now an important 'Industry' in itself and part of Tourism. Perhaps the Welsh Tourist Board needs to be brought 'onside'?

There was a time when I built a coracle and launched it onto the Straits at the Gorad. It would not have been the first one there, as that was how my forebears would have caught fish for sale using 'paired-coracles' and a net! That was at a time when tons (literally!) of Herring were regularly netted in the Swellies every year along with many other species. It's true that many families lived off that 'industry'. They've gone of course just like those thousands who toiled in Slate Quarries! Times have changed and if there were enough fish about, then the inshore fishing industry would employ far more people than it can support now.

However there are individuals who still cling, mistakenly in my opinion, to some notion of the ‘traditional way of life’ in a mythical ‘golden’ past. In my opinion, speaking as a Historian, we’ve changed as a society, perhaps not for the best, but trying to ‘bring back’ the lost-past is just not logical. I don’t share the notion of walking the boundaries of my property, under my arm, and favourite dogs at my heel, to check my mantraps for poaching Welshmen!

There are some places where recent conservation has resulted in a relative increase in the numbers of Bass and other fish (herring again in the now cleaner Straits!). For example a couple of greedy anglers it seems caught a huge amount of Bass in a week last year. Not very sporting angling in my opinion and to be denigrated, but a trawl of these pages last year would reveal that this was definitely a one off! Most people would’ve enjoyed catching Bass but most did not particularly from the beach or shore! Well how many did you catch? As a lad I could catch a Bass from the Swellies most times/tides between June and October. I don’t class my self as an expert angler by any means, as those who have fished with me can tell you, but I do know my way around, but I can say that I have not caught a Bass from the Swellies in over three years. Am I really that cr*p? Can it be that this is the result of indiscriminate and illicit netting, because this has certainly taken place?

Inshore waters should now be considered the priority province of Sports Anglers. Legal commercial fishing in such places should be banned or very, very carefully chosen and controlled. Allied to this should be a form of fair compensation to those who would lose their legitimate employment. So far not one organisation has come up with a certain way to do this but to ignore the idea and continue paying lip-service to conservation whilst turning a blind, though I suspect envious, eye to the ‘greedy-good-old-boys’ presumed to be protecting an ‘ancient and traditional way of life as they empty the coastal cupboards.
:clap3: :clap3: well said swelly i not lucky in catch 1 but not going give nor am i going give up try to get them banned,the goverment is weak maybe the welsh assbely wil have more b*lls to do something about it and also some anglers need charge there waystoo.shaggy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts