World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a regular driver of Hastings sea front, I have noticed over the years the amount of netting close to the beach. Sometimes all the way along(nearly 3miles), and only about four to five hundred yards off the shore I have even seen the pier surrounded with nets. And basically all your going to catch is small bass, pout, eels, and small whiting.

But something has changed recently, from about the begining of May small yellow bouys appeared the entire length of the sea front, about four of five hundred yards off shore and I have not seen a single net in that time. In fact I can't see any nets even passed the bouys.

Does anybody know if there has been a restriction in netting in this area. Maybe there is a bye law for this time of year for the saftey of swimmers.

On another note a few makkie appearing from the groins at either end of the town, the water has only just cleared, lots of white bait in the water. Lots of small bass when there is a surf.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
pointless trying to do anything about them mate defra will do nothing,
just take a knife to as many as possible, it's the only way and i do not give a stuff who disagree with that :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is very tempting to do that when they are there, but what I am saying is I have not seen any nets for two months now.

Also I should also say that the marker bouys are there all the time and four to five hundred yards from the low water mark, I did not make myself clear there, sorry. I am new to this forum stuff, so bear with me.

Anyway I will try to find out if there has been a ban on close shore netting in the area. I will let you all know.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have found out tonight that there is a restriction on netting along the whole beach to protect swimmers etc. As for speed boats it did not stop them tonight and the jet skis were out as well. So it's a good result for us humble fishermen, but the bad news is that it will be lifted sometime in september, just when the serious fishing starts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts