World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i realise this topic seems to come up every so often.
I was wondering though if anyone had ever tried using a drop net for collecting them as seems easier to do from a pier or off a kayak than the traditional netting method?

If not though then does anyone have any tips for netting them more traditionally? Especially since the beaches I know have very a quick drop off when about 2-3 metres in, at mid to low tide. (4.5 metre tide difference from high to low)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
But i dont have a fast drop off. I have shallow sandbars that are perfect for doing so.
Perhaps a trip to a different beach to top up your freezer supply every so often?
That is the one problem with where I’m going is that it’s an island so the choice of beaches is few, you can see the eels in the water as it’s very clear but also quite deep.

I’m only looking for enough for one session at a time so not wanting to fork out on a push net when I could get a cheep drop net to collect enough to do me. If it’s possible to use a push net on a kayak over the uneven ground (there is seaweed) is it easier?

·
Banned
247 Posts
i realise this topic seems to come up every so often.
I was wondering though if anyone had ever tried using a drop net for collecting them as seems easier to do from a pier or off a kayak than the traditional netting method?

If not though then does anyone have any tips for netting them more traditionally? Especially since the beaches I know have very a quick drop off when about 2-3 metres in, at mid to low tide. (4.5 metre tide difference from high to low)
I think that a sand eel can react quicker than you can pull a net up, tiny sabikis catch plenty, mouth hooked if you have the right technique of just 'trembling' the lures, foul hooked if you are more heavy handed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think that a sand eel can react quicker than you can pull a net up, tiny sabikis catch plenty, mouth hooked if you have the right technique of just 'trembling' the lures, foul hooked if you are more heavy handed.
Never thought of that :happy:
Don’t know if I would have the patience for sabikis as I can see them clear as day swimming in the water and in theory they look easy to net up?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What size of hook should be on the sabikis if I was to go down that route, I’m guessing as small as possible?
Yeah with the drop net I realised that you’d have to have them swim over it after you’d placed it and that conventional netting from a pier would be all but impossible.

I could possible use the push net in the bay created by the pier but there’s the tidal problem of that being empty of sea water for 2.5 hrs either side of low tide. Could that work though during high tide/close to it, if I were to use the push net then as the bay is all one height?

·
Banned
247 Posts
The Sabikis I use are Fladen, size 14 ( #1252-14) or 16 if I can find them (#1252-16)

Cheap to buy but they rust quickly and tangle easily so you have to learn how to handle them, let them dry before packing away.

Great for mini-species hunting as well as getting bait. You do need good eyesight and dexterity to bait them though..

If you cast them in away from the shoal and draw them into the fish you can see the sand eels and other baitfish circle around them when they are jigged and see the flash of their flanks as they are hooked. Keep the sand eels in a regularly wetted towel until needed as bait, they will remain live quite a while if kept cool and wet out of the sun. If you keep them in a bucket longer term you will need a pump and aerator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Size 6 or 4 will be fine.
Tidal isnt an issue as they burrow but location is important and obvioudly for pushnetting it has to be underwater, i always do on the ebb. They wont be at the high water mark, on a sandy beach you will notice a small undulation running parallel to the shore. Thats where they will be. Theres lots of instructables on tinterweb about sandeel locating for forking or knifing. For the life of me i cant remember the proper name.
Yeah I’ve considered vingling before but there seems very little on locating them on the actual beach more just about how you go about doing it. The undulation you talk about do you mean on the water?
The Sabikis I use are Fladen, size 14 ( #1252-14) or 16 if I can find them (#1252-16)

Cheap to buy but they rust quickly and tangle easily so you have to learn how to handle them, let them dry before packing away.

Great for mini-species hunting as well as getting bait. You do need good eyesight and dexterity to bait them though..

If you cast them in away from the shoal and draw them into the fish you can see the sand eels and other baitfish circle around them when they are jigged and see the flash of their flanks as they are hooked. Keep the sand eels in a regularly wetted towel until needed as bait, they will remain live quite a while if kept cool and wet out of the sun. If you keep them in a bucket longer term you will need a pump and aerator.
Thank you I will try look for as small a hook as possible if I go down that route, still considering the push net way from a kayak as seems more of guarantee for eels (when searching about sabiki use for sand eels nothing concrete ever seems to come up about it)
Thanks for tips on storage, I’ve heard wet newspapers works well for keeping them fresh too?

·
Banned
247 Posts
"I’ve heard wet newspapers works well for keeping them fresh too?"

They do; but if I think the fishing will be so bad I'll have time to read a newspaper I go somewhere else, I do, however take a towel/cloth with me every time I go.

I use tiny hooks as the rules for the species hunt state that the fish must be mouth hooked (or in the head forward of the gills) If you just want bait then that's not important.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"I’ve heard wet newspapers works well for keeping them fresh too?"

They do; but if I think the fishing will be so bad I'll have time to read a newspaper I go somewhere else, I do, however take a towel/cloth with me every time I go.

I use tiny hooks as the rules for the species hunt state that the fish must be mouth hooked (or in the head forward of the gills) If you just want bait then that's not important.
Ahaha I more meant instead of using another towel/cloth would the cheaper option of a used newspaper still be viable. I also for the life of me haven’t been able to find anywhere that sells hook size 14 or 16 sabikis. (I would like to enter the species hunt but am a bit behind in starting so would take anything I can get)

Watch this. I couldnt explain it better without a trip to the beach myself.
A trip at low tide will get you knowig how far down to be. Then just a case of going back when the water is about knee height and pushnetting

IMHO that looks like more hassle than it’s worth, don’t know if that’s the same thought for others though?
Also the lack of gravel sandbars where I’m going will make it impossible to actually dig or vingle any I guess?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasnt talking about digging them.
Its just the video perfectly shows the undulation i was talking about in regards to where best to pushnet.
If theres no sand where your going, i doubt you will have success.
Sorry I wasn’t specific enough, there is huge amounts of sand but it is all very pure sand and no such gravelly bars as mentioned in the video by TAF exist

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MAKE FEATHERS MYSELF 6 SIZE 10 WITH WHITE MALIBUR WHIPPED WITH RED SILK TRIM THE MALIBU DOWN TO LESS THAN AN INCH LONG EASY PEASY
Always thought that making rigs is something not suited to my hand size and dexterity which are more akin to spades, unsuited to the more nimble needs for that fiddly type of thing

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Youl be fine. Just look for the undulations and you will know what area will be best to do it in.
Okay cheers man I’ll have look when I get up there on Saturday,
I’ve always got a vingling knife to test for eels anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Could you use a bigger size than 16 and still get them clean hooked?
Or does a size 16 still allow you to catch smaller fish other than sand eels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts