World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after I had my first shore lure fish at the weekend, I was still anxious for more.

The tides were obviously later but I felt sure there would be an hour or so to do some buisness, turned up with a mate and we thought we would bang out a couple of bottom rods with crab on while we waited for the tide to start the ebb.

As the beach began to appear and with nothing but weed on the bottom I reeled in and moved along to where we lure, there was another chap (met him before, nice guy) already set up and casting and he looked like he had a fish on.

I cast out and on the second cast bang I felt a good hit rod bent nice little fight going on I turned me head left and what did I see??

A little work boat (registered and I got the name) with a drift net out coming our way, you can imagine the instant hostlie feelings I felt after reading all about netters killing off good spots.

I alerted my neighbour to this boat drifting our way, he was obviously as p**sed off as me, but I still had a fish on, I managed to land that fish nice 1lb 14oz.

I quickly cast again the boat getting closer to us again bang another hit, smaller fish this time but managed to land it and put it back.

The boat was on us now, we both started shouting at the guys, things like hey mate com'on your going to kill it you can see we are here, he started back with abuse and before long full on shouting match (mainly me as never know when to shut up) in which I said some really nasty stuff and he returned lots of abuse, may mate and the new guy both saying leave it's not worth it. The guys in the boat screamed off across the river.

That kind of killed it for about 10 - 15 min then we started getting hits again, on another cast I got a lovely hit and the reel started spinning out line on the clutch, I then began to move back in the water trying to get up the beach (wearing shorts and tee) I only fell over, I bet that looked really funny :) soaked but still happy catching, I managed to get the fish to me, it was only a small bass but it was hooked just above it's eye no wonder it peeled line off..

The dark came I could see this little boat making it's way in an arch but towards us and 2 guys on this time, here we go I thought, I stayed in the water where I was preparing myself for another row or worse, he came close and said "lets sort this out" once again we raised our voices but then we listened he assured me he was doing no wrong, that they were not going to destroy the fish population, ended up apologising for what I said but also saying well all you had to do was avoid us, he assured us he would have had he not already shot his net, he was really ok in the end I felt bad.

I intend to find out if what he was doing is legal as I dont know what is and what is not, but if they net it hard there will not be anymore fish...

Final round up - I think the new guy took three good fish but landed at least 6, I landed 3 or 4 kept one but lost one during the argument, my mate dropped 2.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
netting wil kill it off for sure,they will ring it with nets untill the fish are all gone.
we will have to look for another mark.:thumbdown:mad:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
netting wil kill it off for sure,they will ring it with nets untill the fish are all gone.
we will have to look for another mark.:thumbdown:mad:
And then post pictures of that one as well,amazing level of inteligence shown,,,,,,,,,,,,,not

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just spoke with a nice chap via these contact details below, he informed me that it is legal for them to net that close in, but he welcomes any reports such as these as it helps them build a picture of what is taking place and allows them to concentrate thier efforts, he wanted the boats number and assured me boats are being checked for undersize fish.

So if you see any netting be it staked or drift report it to these guys they will investigate it and they want to know even if it is legal it may help protect fish stocks...

The Kent and Essex Sea Fisheries Committee have a boat at Brightlingsea according to their website, and their contact details are :

Essex office
The Sail Loft
ShipYard Estate
Brightlingsea
Essex
CO7 0AR

Phone and fax
(01206) 303261

[email protected]

·
Wind Up Merchant
5,985 Posts
dont worry guys,i have another mark lined up ,wich im doing today or tommorow, ive got this one on good authority as well.lol.

come on edd get ya coat:mail2:,cheldies on tour once again

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Jason as a registared fishing boat crew and a shore angler we do not want to catch undersized fish or to kill off the fishing inshore. I have sent Geordie Si reports about what we are catching and where but I do not post on here as we do not know who reads these reports and as shown by posts on here there are people who fish and if they catch it its in the bin EG the Sunfish at Dover this year and the alleged incident at Herne Bay.I told Si when we started to get hounds off Deal so he would know when to angling there and about the 40lb est Tope that we netted of Sandwich Bay and I put it back alive as it was fenale. We lost a lot of fish last trip due to seal attack so there are a lot of reasons for the lack of fish.If this boat was drift fishing when the gear is in the water going with the tide you can not just stop it and avoid any one fishing in front of you as I believe this guy explained to you so best of luck with the spinning and if you post a picture only show the sea as a background so it protects your spot that way as well Pete

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Unlucky Jason on your confrontation and lucky it didn't come to blows.
Don't worry mate Terry has another secret mark for which we can enjoy.
Just really looking forward to see if I can get my first Bass on a fly rod.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Great report - thanks.

:clap2::clap2:

Glad things didn't "kick off" too much!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Had a little think about this and can see both points of view but full marks to the man for taking the time to come back out and explain his position to you. It never hurts to hear both sides and as was said Im glad it didnt come to blows because no one wins there. Regards Jim

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I promise this will be my last ever post here but after all the photos and posts what did you expect ?
I can recall being ridiculed on here when mentioning I thought a lot of commercials and amateur/pirate nettsman read WSF .

Concrete's similar post here - http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566153
The guy thats been a member for 4 years without posting I vaguely know - he is a very succesful full time commercial Bass Rod & Liner .

Guys - Think before you post or suffer the consequences .

I'm gone ................

·
Registered
12 Posts
I promise this will be my last ever post here but after all the photos and posts what did you expect ?
I can recall being ridiculed on here when mentioning I thought a lot of commercials and amateur/pirate nettsman read WSF .

Concrete's similar post here - http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566153
The guy thats been a member for 4 years without posting I vaguely know - he is a very succesful full time commercial Bass Rod & Liner .

Guys - Think before you post or suffer the consequences .

I'm gone ................
Nice of you to say that mate LOL...

I was trying to put them straight on just how daft it is to put marks on here..

·
Registered
12 Posts
As a PS to the above post....

You can see by the link to the other thread that I was trying in a clumsy way to warn you about exactly what is happening.

But I was the one that was made to be the villain

I wonder if the blokes that replied on that thread have read this one....

If you have now you know I know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
395 Posts
As a PS to the above post....

You can see by the link to the other thread that I was trying in a clumsy way to warn you about exactly what is happening.

But I was the one that was made to be the villain

I wonder if the blokes that replied on that thread have read this one....

If you have now you know I know what I am talking about.
I new what you was talkin about and i agree with it but theres better ways of getting your piont across than picking on one man thanks dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts