World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How weird is this?

I was down on Saltash Pontoon today with a friend chasing the whiting. We had a few swans hanging around for most of the day until they took to the air and flew upriver. The last swan flew into my line and dragged my right hand rod into the river. When I say "dragged" it flew about 50 metres out. Needless to say I was gutted at losing a rod and reel worth well over £200.

After I got over the shock I wound in my other rod when I had a bite. I could feel the fish kicking and it felt a good weight but was gobsmacked to see my other line snagged around the lead. I managed to wind it in complete with my lost rod in tow.

To say I was relieved was an understatement. What are the odds of that happeneing? To cap it all the lost rod even had a fish on - bonus!

·
Registered
21,543 Posts
How weird is this?

I was down on Saltash Pontoon today with a friend chasing the whiting. We had a few swans hanging around for most of the day until they took to the air and flew upriver. The last swan flew into my line and dragged my right hand rod into the river. When I say "dragged" it flew about 50 metres out. Needless to say I was gutted at losing a rod and reel worth well over £200.

After I got over the shock I wound in my other rod when I had a bite. I could feel the fish kicking and it felt a good weight but was gobsmacked to see my other line snagged around the lead. I managed to wind it in complete with my lost rod in tow.

To say I was relieved was an understatement. What are the odds of that happeneing? To cap it all the lost rod even had a fish on - bonus!
:) Fishing on a boat out of Bermuda with our rods in the rod holders when my mates rod leapt out of the holder and disappeared. 10 minutes later I had a good bite and played a nice trigger fish to the net. I could see a line around the fish so we carefully brought it inboard with the line still round it. Pulled the line in by hand and on the end was the lost rod and reel and on the other end was an even bigger trigger fish. Rinsed the reel with fresh water and he carried on fishing. The reel lasted for years. :)

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
How weird is this?

Many years ago our club had a boat outing and we had carted along the landlord of the pub where we held our club meetings. He wasn't particularly good at fishing and about 3rd cast he let go of the rod and out into the drink it went. Bout half an hour later one of our club stalwarts, Dave Clark (affectionately known as "Knobby the brush") reeled in the lost rod with fish on (as well as a fish on his own gear I think) ... this sort of thing wasn't unusual as Knobby was known for being a jammy git. He was also known for his fishing sandwich ... which consisted of a complete farmhouse loaf cut in two and filled with half the fridge ... I think he called it his "all day sandwich". Good days, used to come home literally aching because we had laughed so much :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wou
£200 worth of gear fly's into the sea, id be flying into the sea straight after it lol
I was tempted but the current there is fierce and I might not have been here to tell the tale!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
£200 worth of gear fly's into the sea, id be flying into the sea straight after it lol
I was tempted but the current there is fierce and I might not have been here to tell the tale!

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Not worth risking your life over. In fact it makes very good sense to try and cast over the line of the lost rod because I've known this sort of thing happen on a number of occasions. Good that you got the gear back.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
a few years ago a freind and myself were fishing from our boat in the solent. 4 rods out between us. right out of the way. up comes a bloody great wind jockey with 8 blokes sitting on the side .cut right in on the back of the boat within 20ft. mate grabs both of his rods i grab one the other flys out of the rodholder...brand new daiwa carbo whisker and abu 7000 both 2 days old. the air turned blue but the twats just kept flying along. i tryed for a while to tangle with the tackle but without any luck.....hence why i HATE wind jockeys.

·
Registered
21,543 Posts
a few years ago a freind and myself were fishing from our boat in the solent. 4 rods out between us. right out of the way. up comes a bloody great wind jockey with 8 blokes sitting on the side .cut right in on the back of the boat within 20ft. mate grabs both of his rods i grab one the other flys out of the rodholder...brand new daiwa carbo whisker and abu 7000 both 2 days old. the air turned blue but the ****s just kept flying along. i tryed for a while to tangle with the tackle but without any luck.....hence why i HATE wind jockeys.
:) Same sort of thing happened to my mate on a charter boat. He took the sail number, reported it to the RYA and after threatening legal action in the small claims court, as they didn't see why they should pay, because they had as much right to that bit of the oceanas he did, got full compensation. His solicitor said they were probably forced to pay up by the RYA because they didn't want a legal precident set. ;)

G

·
How weird is this?

Which rod had the fish one? and go do the lottery!!

G

·
I guess if your fishing the same spot how many times do you snap of but end up hooking up with your lost gear. Done it loads... Never a rod and reel as well mind lol

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reactions: blakdog
G

·
I was fishing in front of my beach hut when a sailing dinghy took four hundred squids worth of rod and reel out to sea. Thinking I'd seen the last of them, the guy in the next hut spotted my rod and reel floating about a hundred yards out. Using my other rod, I cast over it and dragged it back in. No fish on it, but I didn't care.

G

·
Many years ago our club had a boat outing and we had carted along the landlord of the pub where we held our club meetings. He wasn't particularly good at fishing and about 3rd cast he let go of the rod and out into the drink it went. Bout half an hour later one of our club stalwarts, Dave Clark (affectionately known as "Knobby the brush") reeled in the lost rod with fish on (as well as a fish on his own gear I think) ... this sort of thing wasn't unusual as Knobby was known for being a jammy git. He was also known for his fishing sandwich ... which consisted of a complete farmhouse loaf cut in two and filled with half the fridge ... I think he called it his "all day sandwich". Good days, used to come home literally aching because we had laughed so much :)

Those epic sandwiches, I'm sure one was a loaf of bread, cut in half with a whole chicken in it.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
I was fishing in front of my beach hut when a sailing dinghy took four hundred squids worth of rod and reel out to sea. Thinking I'd seen the last of them, the guy in the next hut spotted my rod and reel floating about a hundred yards out. Using my other rod, I cast over it and dragged it back in. No fish on it, but I didn't care.
The great thing about there is you know where they are going to come in ... and you can go wait for them :mad::mad::mad:

G

·
The great thing about there is you know where they are going to come in ... and you can go wait for them :mad::mad::mad:
I went to the sailing club and they told me it wasn't one of theirs. Two old boys in a light blue boat. Tangled a windsurfer too. I wouldn't mind,but I was fishing inside the end of the pipe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts