World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have nver been out on a charter boat before and I wonder what gear to take. This summer I intend to do a few trips out from Swansea and would like to get a good alround outfit. What would you recommend? I was thinking of either an uptide outfit or a 20lbs boat outfit. What would be the most general purpose.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
I am not sure what the fishing is like in that part of the world, but an uptide set up will be more versatile for you, best thing borrow a rod from the skipper when you first go, then see what other people use on the boat.
Remember that most tackle only catches the angler, not the fish.
try asking the same question on your regions forum, may get better response.
Jon C

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I have nver been out on a charter boat before and I wonder what gear to take. This summer I intend to do a few trips out from Swansea and would like to get a good alround outfit. What would you recommend? I was thinking of either an uptide outfit or a 20lbs boat outfit. What would be the most general purpose.

Get yourself a decent uptider m8, truth be told - if I was only limited to one rod for all my fishing - it would be an uptider;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did my first charter trip last weekend
( http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70247 )
using gear provided by the skipper. It was good quality stuff (Penn) and appropriate for the fishing we were doing.

As already suggested, I recommend waiting until after your first trip before spending money on new gear, that way you'll have a much better idea of what you are likely to want. Remember it's not just the rod and reel; you will need different rigs and weights too depending on what you are after and the prevailing conditions.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Take sea-sickness pills and try a trip or two with borrowed tackle before you spend on your own. You might find, as other have before you, that although you love the idea of boat fishing, your stomach does not share the same view. Plenty of boat tackle has been bought and used once. On the other hand you may be luckier and be fine, but at least having tried it you will have a better idea of what to buy.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I reckon that I do 90% of my fishing , including Swansea , with a 4 - 10 oz uptider. For blonde rays and conger I use a 30lb downtider and I use a lighter rod for bream and bass. but if I was limited to one rod it would be my uptider.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas, looks like an uptider it is then. I supose I could also use it as a pier rod etc....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts