World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv never been fishing on a boat and was wondering if charter skippers accommodate for beginners? Iv never used a multiplier either, can u use a fixed spool boat fishing?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Best ask the guy from your tackle and bait shop. He should know a few charter skippers, or ask on here , I'm sure some boat owners will take you out and show you the ropes! and yes you can use a fixed spool for boat fishing, happy dangling:D

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate I wasn't sure because all the pics iv seen in sea angler magazine people are using multipliers lol I wanna get out on a boat and catch some decent fish just wasn't sure cos iv never been on one and don't know a thing about boat fishing I.e what style to do, drift, reef, wreck etc I'm clueless lol

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I've not been out either, and its also something on my to -do list...

While driving along the coast, I've noticed that you often see short boat trips advertised for mackerel ect..

Most seem to provide all the kit needed, including the bait, and one of these short trips might be a way of getting a taster first. If nothing else, it will give you an idea if you are prone to sea sickness...

Hopefully the more experienced will chip in with some suggestions of how a beginner best gets started...

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A boat at brighton marina does a 90 minute mackerel trip for £22 with rod and bait hire free, that's my bait freezer topped up for next to nothing lol

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Go to CBUK or Deepsea, both are charter boat directories, find one you fancy and ring the skipper, tell him you're a new
to it and sea what he says, word of warning some are better than others you can tell the good ones they are booked months in advance.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Years ago I would have advised you to take a trip makeral fishing, just to see if you enjoyed it (before lashing out on boat material) but there are so few makeral about these day's they are not that easy to catch anymore, certainly not in any quantity (probably down to the tv chef's telling one and all to eat more makeral, it's sustainable!) consequently they have been massively overfished the last few years. Still there are other species to catch.
We all have to pay to learn so to speak, when you do book ask the skipper if it's wreck, drift, uptiding etc then ask again on here what rigs you need and, above all watch the other anglers on the boat (especially the ones catching) that doesn't cost much but if you are a 'tackle tart' the skies the limit!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Years ago I would have advised you to take a trip makeral fishing, just to see if you enjoyed it (before lashing out on boat material) but there are so few makeral about these day's they are not that easy to catch anymore, certainly not in any quantity (probably down to the tv chef's telling one and all to eat more makeral, it's sustainable!) consequently they have been massively overfished the last few years. Still there are other species to catch.
We all have to pay to learn so to speak, when you do book ask the skipper if it's wreck, drift, uptiding etc then ask again on here what rigs you need and, above all watch the other anglers on the boat (especially the ones catching) that doesn't cost much but if you are a 'tackle tart' the skies the limit!:rolleyes:
Wavebuster,

Its my understanding that even on these sort of trips, some skippers will have rod and reels for hire?

Regards,

Peter

·
Registered
497 Posts
Peter E,
Yes most skippers will have rod and reels for hire, the quality of which will differ between boats and skippers . OK if you only plan to go once. If however you get 'hooked' and decide you need your own gear then that's where the wallet can take a battering so to speak:oops:

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Peter E,
Yes most skippers will have rod and reels for hire, the quality of which will differ between boats and skippers . OK if you only plan to go once. If however you get 'hooked' and decide you need your own gear then that's where the wallet can take a battering so to speak:oops:
I can well imagine! lol

So how does it actually work then?

Do Skippers specify exactly what type of fishing trip is planned, and you just take tackle and rigs to suit, or do seasoned boat anglers take a selection of rods, reels, and lines to cover a broad range of fishing possibilities?

Thanks again,

Peter

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great question peter cos I would want to do some sort of fishing at anchor for rays, so can u ask to be booked on a trip that specifically does one sort of fishing or do u just do what the skipper wants to do?

·
Registered
497 Posts
It will be decided before you go, although it's always subject to change at short notice, (at the skippers discretion). You would normally expect to be notified of any change. However that's not always the case so most anglers do take a selection of rigs and leads, and of course bait.
Because of this 'you never know' attitude most boat anglers take far to much and the pleasure of a nice day afloat is lost because of all the 'lumping''. The older more experienced will be taking a couple of rods, a shakespeare type seat box with reels and rigs inside and maybe a coleman coolbox and that's it!:eek:

·
Top Blanker
1,670 Posts
There is a chap on here called Cascars who has a lovely boat in Newhaven!
He's a great coach & loves to get involved with new anglers !
He's an expert in all aspects of angling so maybe send him a message , he loans out rods & reels , even supplies tackle & bait !
8 hour trips for only a £20 fuel contribution !!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
It will be decided before you go, although it's always subject to change at short notice, (at the skippers discretion). You would normally expect to be notified of any change. However that's not always the case so most anglers do take a selection of rigs and leads, and of course bait.
Because of this 'you never know' attitude most boat anglers take far to much and the pleasure of a nice day afloat is lost because of all the 'lumping''. The older more experienced will be taking a couple of rods, a shakespeare type seat box with reels and rigs inside and maybe a coleman coolbox and that's it!:eek:
There are many different styles of boat fishing.

If you advise the skipper that you want to hire the equipment then it will work better if you don't have gear.

The one thing I would comment on is most people when they buy equipment (me included) think big rod = big fish. In fact most fish now in the UK can be had on a 12-20lb rod. It could be that untiding but most start with downtiding.

A multi is easier for downtide.. but you don't need a massive multiplier either.

Fixed spools work - although controlled lead decents are harder, FS are easier to cast.

I just go 'fishing' ... I have the different types of rod to cover most situations but in the end it's governed by tide with the amount of lead required..

G

·
There is a chap on here called Cascars who has a lovely boat in Newhaven!
He's a great coach & loves to get involved with new anglers !
He's an expert in all aspects of angling so maybe send him a message , he loans out rods & reels , even supplies tackle & bait !
8 hour trips for only a £20 fuel contribution !!
Very funny Mr Smith, especially as you started doing trips for free to pinch all my customers:eek:.
If I got out often enough fishingmad I would offer you a trip out to learn the basics, but not having been out myself since October and after promising numerous friends and family a trip 'next time' it would be a while before I am likely to have a spare space for you.
There are a few charter skippers that would be happy to take a newbie, and most will have 'hire' tackle but your best bet is to phone a few and see which sounds the keenest to help you.
I would not go down the route of going on a mackerel trip, they are designed to attract the holidaying grockles who have a couple of hours to spare, and not the serious angler. There are also few charters that will target Rays especially on the South Coast, as most people that charter a boat are after some fish for the freezer.
Some of the charters in Ramsgate will do trips for Thornbacks at the right time of year, and if you are happy to travel further then many of the Essex boats will do the same. Try a few of these, http://www.charterboats-uk.co.uk/port/ramsgate/
Of course there amy well be another member reading this that will be happy to offer you a space on their boat, and I occasionally will post on here if I need crew last minute so keep your eyes on this forum.

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks mate hopefully going to try get out on a boat this summer. Was looking to stay more local, Littlehampton maybe. Tight lines

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
We have a spare space on a top charter boat tomorrow (Thursday 11th Feb) out of Dungeness. Happy to help someone new to the game, if you want to come give me a call. 07814 753997

Tim R

1 - 20 of 32 Posts