World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new poster, and new to sea fishing I was wondering if anyone knew when the mackerel hit either the Clyde (Greenock area) or Fife (Burntisland)?

I've only fished once (last week) and caught a nice 1.5lb bass on my sons 5ft rod!

I want to keep him interested in the fishing so mackerel would be the obvious choice. I would cast out his wee lure and he could retrieve it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tight lines all.

PS Forgot to say he is only four, hence the casting out!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi Blenny,

Cant say when the mackerel get in over in the Clyde, but at Burntisland its about the 2 nd week in July they show up, you might get them earlier up at Methol/Dysart area.

hope this helps

·
Registered
91 Posts
They dont usually start appearing in the Clyde until about mid way through june, but dont come on fully until july, best places to fish are Gourock Pier, and Mcinroys point, which is also in Gourock, though i went to fish Mcinroys last week and the ferry company have put no fishing signs up :( , but i still fished anyway and nobody told me to move, dont know if it will be the same when the mackeral appear as it used to be mobbed down there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Blenny said:
As a new poster, and new to sea fishing I was wondering if anyone knew when the mackerel hit either the Clyde (Greenock area) or Fife (Burntisland)?

I've only fished once (last week) and caught a nice 1.5lb bass on my sons 5ft rod!
:eek: :eek: :eek: 51 yrs I've been sea fishing and I have yet to catch my first bass unbelievable his first time I've caught thousands of mackeral to use as bait caught most UK fish had people on my boat pulling in bass either side of me and never caught one and Blenny gets one first time. Thats it I'm giving up :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi blenny, I am from Burntisland and Bigdunny is correct, the mackerel are always a bit later to hit the shore in Burntisland. Usually Dysart is the first place to start producing a few. The boats of Kinghorn and behind the black rock will also take them weeks earlier than people from the breakwater/Pier.

I would aim to fish around mid July time on calm bright days. I always fish the breakwater rather than the pier. It's easier to land fish and there is always the chance of a nice pollock. The bigger tides fish better, most fish are caught when there is a bit movement in the tide. Either fish low water up or the turn of the tide back down. The increase in current seems to make them feed better. You could always put out a second rod with a worm fished under a float about 20 yds out - just to the end of the rocks. you will almost always pick up a few fish in the right conditions - codling, coalies, pollock and wrasse are always on the cards.

Best lure I have found is the Dexter wedge - you can buy them in Kirkcaldy. They cast like bullets, they are really bright silver under the water and vibrate as they spin.

If all else fails you could just take your lad to the chippy for some fish - I have heard there is a new one opening in Kinghorn - It is called "Kinghorn Chipper", it's going to be good....lol..I know this cause it's mine - opens a week on monday.

Cheers for now, hope you get a few - Craig.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the info people. Are the boats out of Kinghorn 'turn up and pay for a trip' type or do you have to book? Also, where is the breakwater in Burntisland. Do you mean the long wall with the rocks below before you get to the pier?

Might check out your chippy next time i'm through!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
The boats are just local guys, not many left now. I used to own a boat a few years back, mackerel fishing was great but not as much fun as catching them on a light rod from the shore. The breakwater runs in line with the pier, I like the part on the bend past the blue shed - there is some nice flat rocks along there. Fishing is not as good as it used to be but I did manage a fair few last year. Around 6 for a 3 hour session was about normal in the right conditions.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Craig

Do you mean the side nearer the public swimming pool? Have seen people fishing off there for mackerel before – can't wait myself for a wee cast out for them. My uncle (who lives in Burntisland has a boat and might get it seaworthy in the next few weeks)!

How do you find Dysart and Weymss? I've never fished there but have reports that it isn't a bad place to go with a nipper.

Cheers
Blenny

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would fish the other side of the blue shed - (not the swimming pool side). The whole area is probably the same, I just like the bit on the bend past the blue shed, caught plenty in the past and like i said before there are some ggod flat rocks.

I have never fished Weymss or Dysart but have heard Dysart is a good place to catch mackerel. Weymss on the other hand tends to produce a few fish but there are far better marks along the coast. Burntisland breakwater is a nice safe mark, you just have to watch what you are doing when you go down the rocks but once you are on a flat rock you will rarely have to move.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Dysart is a good spot for mackerel m8, but like Spell mentioned its a bugger for seals knicking your fish, dunno what weymms is like for them ? Burntisland is prolly your best bet if you have the young un

1 - 11 of 11 Posts