World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wondered why all suppliers were suddenly selling there 7000s at greatly reduced prices and if something new was due out.

i was right. there is a new ... i ... range. veals apear to have them all on there site.

supposedly better than the originals.

after lots of bad press have they decided to do something about it?

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Probaly trying to get shot of the c+++ ap made in T/wan China ? we have been through this before,they made a good reel,and to save money moved,correct me if i am wrong,but you get what you pay for I FOR ONE WILL NOT SPEND MONEY ON THEM, still somebody on site will and no doubt we will get feedback == PAT

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I have heard that the build quality is a lot better now than on the Big Game reels. IMHO the best Abus were built in the 1980's and 90's, the brass end plate models such as the 7000c syncro and some of the 6500 rockets were quality pieces of equipment that lasted a lifetime. I have reels now that are a lot older than me and still run aswell as my more modern reels. My friend had a 7000BG and after a few uses the lever drag bust and it had begun to get a few rust spot, i laughed at him because he was so full of how good it was when he bought it saying my 7500C3CT was outdated and due for retirement. Showed him, he actually offered me money for my 7500 and if you look on eBay the Blue 7500C3CT which i have, regularly makes over £100 for a used example showing wear, enough said.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Yeah bill there is the new 7000i range out, so every one the old ones off at less than cost. The new ones are much smoother than the old but the old Swedish made and built will probably never happen again.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Apollo 525 do you work at Spotty Dog Tackle in Stockton? I remember the lad there was called Steve, and i think it might have been you.

·
Registered
424 Posts
ABU claim the new 7000i series to be "stronger, better and more hard wearing than any other reel that Abu Garcia have designed in the last couple of decades," according to the blurb on Veals' website.

They list their features as follows:

- Centrifugal braking
- 36% larger main gear for increased strength and durability.
- Carbon matrix drag system for optimum drag durability and consistant smoothness across all drag settings
- 33% stronger handle and drag wheel
- Instant anti reverse
- 4 re-engagement points/handle turn
- Ergonomic soft touch handle knob
- 25% stronger reel foot
- New Ratchet alarm
- Spool surport for increased torque
- Lever release/auto engage
- Made in China

(Yes, they actually class the fact that they're made in China a "feature"!)

The question is, stronger and better than what - the old 7000s or the later ones of Far Eastern manufacture that are claimed to be inferior to the former?

Since we don't have an ABU rep as a member of this forum to answer questions it's anybody's guess until people begin to buy them and post their comments here. :g:

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Since we don't have an ABU rep as a member of this forum to answer questions it's anybody's guess until people begin to buy them and post their comments here.
Let's face it - they don't even have a website for their UK customers, so how much they care about our opinions must seriously be in doubt. Although I do like Abu gear it does feel like we are an afterthought.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
i brought a BG 7000 ,not used it yet,nice bit of kit paid 75 quid for it ,brand new and not made in tiawan,,,,made in sweden,well say payed for it i done some work 4 it, its got a clutch like drag...ive heard good reports and bad ones ,when ive used it ill make me mind up TIGHT LINES

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Does it have 'Made In Sweden' stamped on the end plates? Only reels that were actually built in Sweden have this mark on them, the newer ones just have 'Abu Ambassadeur' or 'Abu Garcia' stamped on them. I personally thought the new BG's were made in Taiwan, and my mate had one that was bad as i have said before in this thread.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Yes I Know I Was Stating The Reel Quality Thats All,i Know U Was On About A 7000 I ,,,,,,sorry,,,,,you Could Be Right Ther Only Has Abu Garcia,and The Crest On The Other Side Says On The Box And Instructions,,,,,made in sweden ,they Should Bloody Well State Were Ther Made By Law Ive Got The Hump Now,,,,,off To Tell Me Mate Doh

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Yes I Know I Was Stating The Reel Quality Thats All,i Know U Was On About A 7000 I ,,,,,,sorry,,,,,you Could Be Right Ther Only Has Abu Garcia,and The Crest On The Other Side Says On The Box And Instructions,,,,,made in sweden ,they Should Bloody Well State Were Ther Made By Law Ive Got The Hump Now,,,,,off To Tell Me Mate Doh
The Abu BG Reels I have seen have a golden paper sticker on the reel foot - the surface that meets the reel seat - says Made in Taiwan (or even Made in Sweden, which I don't believe as both reels I saw were of the same age but at different shops in Germany).

I would assume the labelling would have been the same for the other reels.

Steinbeisser

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I know the post was about the new range of reels, but this actually needs pointing out. As i said it is not a genuine Sedish reel made in Sweden from parts manufactured in Sweden unless it has 'Made in Sweden' stamped on the end plate. Looking at the Newer 7000i i must say i prefer the feel of the new power, winching handle and the fisnish of the reels looks of a higher quality than there more modern products. Although for the R.R.P. of £109.99 i can think i would be better off owning TWO brand new Okuma Magnetix reels. Its horses for corses, but 2 for 1 on a reel i feel is not inferior to the abu in anyway, you have to question the logic?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Although for the R.R.P. of £109.99 i can think i would be better off owning TWO brand new Okuma Magnetix reels. Its horses for corses, but 2 for 1 on a reel i feel is not inferior to the abu in anyway, you have to question the logic?
You can pick the 7000is up for £73.99 on Ebay. You can also get the Magnetix for £54.99 so the price difference narrows a bit. The Okumas aren't really tried and tested reels - but then neither ar the new ABUs. The former still seem to be a bargain, though.

Cheers,

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts