World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all you lot, i want fishing for the first time today and only had mackerel as my bait. my mother bought it from town but i could not get it on the hook at al. i tried to put elastic on it but was told by someone that tinned mackerel was no good even though i frose it at home. he was not very helpfull and just patted me on my back and was laughing. is everyone this rude? please help. my dad used to cahtc loads.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
The menu on the left of the home page is full of information and is a good place to start. Get reading! There are many good fishing books in the public libraries. Best of all join a local club - you will get all the help you need.

You will get help on this site but ask specific questions1 goog luck?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
hello prawn mate, sorry you had no success on your first trip out but you will learn. one of the things you will learn first is not to use tinned fish for bait, this will not work. do as pedro says and listen to as much advice as you can get. get the basics sorted out as you will only be disheartened if you keep failing,
cheers, ian

ps i cant help thinking that for a while you will not be catching your own mackies so go and buy whole mackeral from a bait shop and ask their advice, you will spend money in their shop so they will look after you. :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks mates
i probebly do nead some help. my mum thinks i should join a club so will prehaps do tjhat. where are you too from. could you give me some advice if i meet you :eek:

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Hi prawn,

Buy frozen mackeral from a bait shop then to use as bait take a sharp knife and cut strips from the fish-the belly tends to be better as this is silver and the idea is to make your bait resemble a small fish that would be eaten by the species you are trying to catch. So cut a strip about 1/2 inch(12 mm) wide tapering to a point about 2 1/2 to 3 inches away(60-75mm). Hold this up and you will see that it looks a bit like a small fish. Take your hook and push it through from the skin side first at the widest end of the mack then turn it and push back through and there's your bait. Don't be afraid to try other baits though, worm (Rag or Lug ) is always good. Best of luck m8 ;)

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I think worm on small hooks like No 3 gives the best chance of a quick catch! Do go into the tackle shop and ask! Phone them if you are embarrassed (but give them your name every time- they need your trade and will try to help!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts