World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php/1535970-Heres-the-new-record-bass

Thats a big old girl , a shore caught 20 cant be far away in the uk ...

Its normally a big old bait or live bait that take these big fish .

Know of a 14 pound plus lure caught this year here in dorset , but huge fish on the lure in the uk are rare from the shore imho ...

Only know of a handfull over 15 pound to lure , whole time i have been mad for it ...

Because i believe big fish got big by being a bit smarter , also are very very lazy and dont chase much about , imho .

Well done to the chap that caught it ,,, lovely fish and looks every bit of nearly 20 pound in the pic .

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Mark it was over 20lb when he caught it.
It was reported that it coughed up a 1 1/4lb pollack after he landed it.:huh:

Should have pushed it back in:spiteful:

Maybe the bigger bass's senses due to age like us anglers diminish
loss of eyesight, hearing, feel, taste become slow:wheelchai

Can only imagine catching one that size on a lure:yahoo:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
....Maybe the bigger bass's senses due to age like us anglers diminish
loss of eyesight, hearing, feel, taste become slow:wheelchai

Can only imagine catching one that size on a lure:yahoo:
Tend to think it's the other way around Manictoo, these big fish are the best of the best of the best. No national health service to prop these grandmothers up. If a Bass' senses start to diminish it's reasonable to assume they die out. Natural selection doesn't favour the weak! The big ones are a) very good at what they need to do to grow big and strong and b) are lucky they don't get swept up in a trawler net or get predated in an other way.

Like most species, genes will predispose some animals to grow bigger than their siblings either in weight or length or both, and so it will be with Bass I suspect. But these bigger fish must also become masters of their environment. A good memory will enable them to learn where there the food is, a good burst of speed will enable them to make the grab and beat their shoal mates to the kill, good eyesight and reflexes will always help too and their other senses need to be at peak performance as well for when visual hunting isn't possible.

No, to grow big in the Bass world means you have to be an exceptional specimen.

Now I'm off to develop a lure that looks like a dozy 1.25lb Pollack.

SCG :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php/1535970-Heres-the-new-record-bass

Know of a 14 pound plus lure caught this year here in dorset , but huge fish on the lure in the uk are rare from the shore imho ...

Only know of a handfull over 15 pound to lure , whole time i have been mad for it ...

Because i believe big fish got big by being a bit smarter , also are very very lazy and dont chase much about , imho .

Well done to the chap that caught it ,,, lovely fish and looks every bit of nearly 20 pound in the pic .
Hi Mark,

You've raised a good point here and got me thinking.

It's well known that big Bass come to baits, usually quite big baits and and as you say live baits. My biggest Bass (and I've actually no idea how much it weighed or how long it was as I didn't weigh my fish for many years) came to a ledgered whole mackeral when I was fishing for conger. Now this fish was scavaging for at least part of it's living but it was by no means weak and like this current beauty I'm sure it took it's fair share of 1lb - 1.5lb Pollack when the opportunity arose so given that a lot of lure anglers want to catch big Bass why do we all cast puny little 150mm - 200mm skinny lures into the water?

On my travels around the coast I've met up and fished with quite a few different guys (and gals) and even when I'm not fishing I tend to walk down and talk with guys lure fishing when I can and all of them are the same - small lures. Discounting a Slug-Go or soft rubber sandeel, all the lures are relatively small. Given that we know big Bass take bigger fish are we all sub consciously anchoring ourselves to small lures in the knowledge that there are a lot more small to mid size fish out their in the briny which means we are more likely not to suffer a blank.

Is anyone out there who actually fishes any Herring size lures?

Cheers.....SCG :thumbs:

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
63,068 Posts
Tend to think it's the other way around Manictoo, these big fish are the best of the best of the best. No national health service to prop these grandmothers up. If a Bass' senses start to diminish it's reasonable to assume they die out. Natural selection doesn't favour the weak! The big ones are a) very good at what they need to do to grow big and strong and b) are lucky they don't get swept up in a trawler net or get predated in an other way.

Like most species, genes will predispose some animals to grow bigger than their siblings either in weight or length or both, and so it will be with Bass I suspect. But these bigger fish must also become masters of their environment. A good memory will enable them to learn where there the food is, a good burst of speed will enable them to make the grab and beat their shoal mates to the kill, good eyesight and reflexes will always help too and their other senses need to be at peak performance as well for when visual hunting isn't possible.

Great Post.... I think they can be classed as 'survivors'...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts

Spot on Mark, all down to the amount of food they can find against the effort in finding it, be lazy gives them the best chance of getting big.

·
Registered
988 Posts
that is a cracking gurt bass!

not sure about the lure v bait comparison though. think of all the lads that are lobbing out big chunks of bait, especially at this time of year, for cod, rays, conger, bass etc. stands to reason theyre going to get more catches than the relatively few lure anglers. not conclusive I know, but the numbers have to be taken into consideration.

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Great Post.... I think they can be classed as 'survivors'...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
nick i think we have a couple more years then there gone for good ..until another good year class comes along we had one in the early 70s and 80s then they were gone.. there back now but for how long..i must admit iv been obsessed with big bass and kept up with reports for many years the biggest iv seen report was in the 70s from southern france it went 25lb iv heard of 25s caught by trawlers off cornwall so i think 25 is the absolute limit .unless global warming changes things ..as for big lures for big bass maybe someone should give them a try .iv got a bongo mullet what goes 60grms but am scared to cast it ..:my rod afaw could take it but it was 200 plus so i think not lols :marinheir..ps iv never heard of a 30lb fish in forty years maybe im wrong

·
13,191 Posts

hi mark would have loved to have seen gees 16plus on a lure :marinheir

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

And very ,very lucky to get to an age to wise up,in the same way a few survived going over the top in the trenches walking towards machine guns,not so much superior genes as just chance..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Mark,

You've raised a good point here and got me thinking.

It's well known that big Bass come to baits, usually quite big baits and and as you say live baits. My biggest Bass (and I've actually no idea how much it weighed or how long it was as I didn't weigh my fish for many years) came to a ledgered whole mackeral when I was fishing for conger. Now this fish was scavaging for at least part of it's living but it was by no means weak and like this current beauty I'm sure it took it's fair share of 1lb - 1.5lb Pollack when the opportunity arose so given that a lot of lure anglers want to catch big Bass why do we all cast puny little 150mm - 200mm skinny lures into the water?

On my travels around the coast I've met up and fished with quite a few different guys (and gals) and even when I'm not fishing I tend to walk down and talk with guys lure fishing when I can and all of them are the same - small lures. Discounting a Slug-Go or soft rubber sandeel, all the lures are relatively small. Given that we know big Bass take bigger fish are we all sub consciously anchoring ourselves to small lures in the knowledge that there are a lot more small to mid size fish out their in the briny which means we are more likely not to suffer a blank.

Is anyone out there who actually fishes any Herring size lures?

Cheers.....SCG :thumbs:

SCG,

Although it may have coughed up a a pound plus pouting, I believe that the fish was caught on a sandeel (Ammo variety - unless the pouting had swallowed it first, which seems a possibility). Bass are opportunistic and will eat anything that is easily caught and are not in the least bit bothered about the size of their food (my best this year, getting towards a double territory, was on a size 16 hook!! In fact, I have caught more big bass on fly than on lure and I am not a very special fly angler).

If big bass are of a slightly higher level of education, I wouldn't mind betting that they are simply going to swim away from a 12 or 18" plank of wood. Small lures seem to look more lifelike to me (at least, it is more difficult to distinguish something small as being unnatural) and all of the larger lures appear to 'swim' in the most 'un-lifelike' manner! (Marlin don't count in this big lure analogy - they must be stupid!).

Casting and working something of that size would require a physique that I don't possess!

Cheers,

Kes

·
13,191 Posts
was it caught in the dock yard ,??? is whats said...seen huge bass in the naval docks here in plym...me reckon they live there all there lives ...if its true then not a fare catch, ...just my opp..:rtfm:
high hennie make you dead right mate i used to be a shipping coordinater for p.o .in tilbury docks and a container lasher .well i used to see massive bass in the basins but u cant fish for them even though your a docker ..i always wondered what they ate ..then ..one day at low water i was seeing a ro ro ship out called the norking and noticed the prop wash ..loads of pout tings sole and other flatties getting mangled by the props .when the ship was fully loaded we had a depth 2metres under the hull so thats why the fish got mashed .fish laying stunned on the surface easy meals for gulls but also easy for those big girls ..ps used to live in plymouth ...mutley plain lane ..great place plymouth

·
13,191 Posts
SCG,

Although it may have coughed up a a pound plus pouting, I believe that the fish was caught on a sandeel (Ammo variety - unless the pouting had swallowed it first, which seems a possibility). Bass are opportunistic and will eat anything that is easily caught and are not in the least bit bothered about the size of their food (my best this year, getting towards a double territory, was on a size 16 hook!! In fact, I have caught more big bass on fly than on lure and I am not a very special fly angler).

If big bass are of a slightly higher level of education, I wouldn't mind betting that they are simply going to swim away from a 12 or 18" plank of wood. Small lures seem to look more lifelike to me (at least, it is more difficult to distinguish something small as being unnatural) and all of the larger lures appear to 'swim' in the most 'un-lifelike' manner! (Marlin don't count in this big lure analogy - they must be stupid!).

Casting and working something of that size would require a physique that I don't possess!

Cheers,

Kes
hi kes aways nice reading your posts mate.just wanted to ask something if bass as many have said are lazy what about using a massive softie reeled in slowly even in coloured water deep down.. just got a bass rod 1to3 ounces.thought about putting a big leadhead on to get the sp down and using it just past the surf line or drop shotting a rearly big shad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts