World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a 2nd succesful season with my 9'6 skyroad, I've come to the conclusion that I need a shorter and lighter rod to cover some of the marks that don't need the skyroad's power.

More specific, I've had some good sessions on topwaters but walking the dog on a 9'6" rod is wrecking my wrist, which isn't in top condition tbh.
So ideally I'm looking for a shorter rod which suits lighter lures, I'm guessing around 7' and casting weight 5-28gr. To 'survive' the winter period, I'm planning on using it for pike/perch fishing, which is going to be a new discovery as well.

So far I've been looking at rods in the £100-300 price range.
It doesn't have to be the cheapest rod nor the most expensive, just looking for a quality, lightweight rod.
Pecheur has a good deal on a major craft benkei rod which ticks both boxes but I can hardly find any reviews on it.

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I don't have one that short. I do have the 8'6" Skyroad, and can use it a lot longer than a 9'6" rod. There's a 702 and a 732 in the Skyroad range, but can't vouch for them!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I’ve got a 9ft HTO nebula which I was using for the same thing, bass in the summer and I’m now just crossing over onto pike as the bass are disappearing (locally anyhoo !).
I was getting annoyed having to swap from fluoro leader to wire trace depending on what I was using the rod for, plus the 9ft Neb was a bit too long on the river where I was piking when trying to cast in between reeds and bushes and the likes.
Anyway, I picked up a little 6ft baitcaster rod and reel, nothing fancy, a John Wilson six shooter rod and a Rovex Oberon reel, didn’t wanna fork out too much as I’d never used a baitcaster before so was just gonna give it a go.
Well it’s brilliant, once you get used to casting (had the odd birds nest :oops:), it so much easier in them tight spots on the river and just casting generally. Biggest I’ve had on it is a 7lb 3oz pike so far but it handled it fine.
I’m considering a similar set up for my bass fishing on marks where distance is not as crucial as I reckon it be less tiring flicking lures about with one of these. It well worth considering :thumbsup:

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm loving the Century Vectura 7'3" blank... really really pleasure to fish with.
But... the Century built is shoddy so I'd have it built by DFR to your specifications

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,472 Posts
I'm loving the Century Vectura 7'3" blank... really really pleasure to fish with.
But... the Century built is shoddy so I'd have it built by DFR to your specifications

Dfr is no longer mate .
Richard doesn't have the time to work , fish and family ,,, for little profit on the rods ...........
His workmanship is off the scale ,,, but to be fair ,,, people took the Mick ,,,
Broke blanks ,, expected replacement s ,,, couldn't admit some were there fault ,,,
I tested all his blanks to oblivion ,,, so we knew what was what ......
Shame really , I'm gutted ,,,,, but the hours that went into a rod ,,, to make little reward ,,,,
Something had to give ....................

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Ive not looked into century but I'm not sure if they fit the price range. I have built some rods myself in the past, including Century, but have no experience with spinning rods. I don't have the necessary tools to start shaping handles neither.

Might be a project for next time.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
So after a 2nd succesful season with my 9'6 skyroad, I've come to the conclusion that I need a shorter and lighter rod to cover some of the marks that don't need the skyroad's power.

More specific, I've had some good sessions on topwaters but walking the dog on a 9'6" rod is wrecking my wrist, which isn't in top condition tbh.
So ideally I'm looking for a shorter rod which suits lighter lures, I'm guessing around 7' and casting weight 5-28gr. To 'survive' the winter period, I'm planning on using it for pike/perch fishing, which is going to be a new discovery as well.

So far I've been looking at rods in the £100-300 price range.
It doesn't have to be the cheapest rod nor the most expensive, just looking for a quality, lightweight rod.
Pecheur has a good deal on a major craft benkei rod which ticks both boxes but I can hardly find any reviews on it.

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The Nebula 240 7-30 is a wonderful shorter rod and so light. It's a totally different animal from the 270 7-35, which is great for banging out metals and bigger hard lures. By comparison, the 240 (about £100) is a wand.
With a light reel strapped on you will fish all day and not know it's in your hand.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm probably get flack for this but the red rods are worth a look especially the injection series which really are very good.
Been looking at the injection 73m but the price is pretty hefty, not sure if its the best bang for the buck as a lot of other premium brands/models are still cheaper than these.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve got a 9ft HTO nebula which I was using for the same thing, bass in the summer and I’m now just crossing over onto pike as the bass are disappearing (locally anyhoo !).
I was getting annoyed having to swap from fluoro leader to wire trace depending on what I was using the rod for, plus the 9ft Neb was a bit too long on the river where I was piking when trying to cast in between reeds and bushes and the likes.
Anyway, I picked up a little 6ft baitcaster rod and reel, nothing fancy, a John Wilson six shooter rod and a Rovex Oberon reel, didn’t wanna fork out too much as I’d never used a baitcaster before so was just gonna give it a go.
Well it’s brilliant, once you get used to casting (had the odd birds nest :oops:), it so much easier in them tight spots on the river and just casting generally. Biggest I’ve had on it is a 7lb 3oz pike so far but it handled it fine.
I’m considering a similar set up for my bass fishing on marks where distance is not as crucial as I reckon it be less tiring flicking lures about with one of these. It well worth considering :thumbsup:
Havent thought about baitcasters but it could be interesting. How easy is casting against the wind, any issues?

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
Have a look at the savage gear lure rods , they are about 7 ft ,I used to use these before getting a skyroad which snapped then another skyroad which also snapped, they are nice little rods with plenty of flex and power

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Havent thought about baitcasters but it could be interesting. How easy is casting against the wind, any issues?
I haven’t cast it into any decent head winds as such yet really, but I was out last Friday which was pretty windy and against a cross wind it was fine. My set up is rated 10-35g and although it casts a lot better and easier the heavier the lure you use I’ve chucked 10-15g lures with it no problems.
You have to balance the reel to each lure you cast (if it’s a different weight!), but the trick is a nice smooth flick rather than trying to power cast it and keeping your thumb on the spool to stop it at the end of the cast. I started with my magnets on full but I’m slowly winding them down as I get used to it (they’re on about 60% now) an I can cast a lot further and more powerfully.
Defo worth a look at :thumbsup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Favorite Shard 7ft 7-28g
Tailwalk Northern Rock 7ft6 7-28g

For me, I’d possibly go lighter (rod of max 21-24g) for SP work during the calm of winter though, the bites can be very subtle. But up to yourself, if you’re going to be slinging heavier lures as well I can see the need for the 28g max.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Using an Apia Foojin Natural 77mh for the 12g-28g lures. Not cheap!...lol...but a perfect weight/length for those long seshs.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Caught a lure in a branch about six weeks ago, snapping line in the cast and sending the top section into a speight river.
Got another on order.
Could not be without it. Awesome salmon river rod, amongst other things..
Pity you had a bad build.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So guys, I went with the major craft Benkei limited france edition in 5-28gr, 7'2"
Pecheur was doing a pretty good deal on them, I couldn't resist :)

Rod feels alot lighter compared to my skyroad, so I think my wrist will like that alot!

IMG-20181027-WA0005.jpeg
20181027_121627.jpg

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Dfr is no longer mate .
Richard doesn't have the time to work , fish and family ,,, for little profit on the rods ...........
His workmanship is off the scale ,,, but to be fair ,,, people took the Mick ,,,
Broke blanks ,, expected replacement s ,,, couldn't admit some were there fault ,,,
I tested all his blanks to oblivion ,,, so we knew what was what ......
Shame really , I'm gutted ,,,,, but the hours that went into a rod ,,, to make little reward ,,,,
Something had to give ....................
shitting it now mark
if entice broke
one heart broken
git to find one that good

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
So guys, I went with the major craft Benkei limited france edition in 5-28gr, 7'2"
Pecheur was doing a pretty good deal on them, I couldn't resist :)

Rod feels alot lighter compared to my skyroad, so I think my wrist will like that alot!

View attachment 1127959 View attachment 1127961
holy crap yellow
dont show paddlers it
steam coming out of his ears
bad enough with the reds

1 - 20 of 20 Posts