World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

As the finances slowly start to sort themselves out, so I can get back to fishing this year. Reckon I need a new beach rod for those too rare trips so I'm looking for any advice/suggestions from the experts on the forum....

As I get older, I find I'm less of a rough-ground-any-weather type of angler, more of a lazy sunday afternoon-hope-there-aren't-any-snags type. Casting style is up and over and don't even suggest mounting the reel low down and using the 'wrong' hand to control the spool! I'm a skinny office-worker weakling too so it's going to have to be a slim/light blank. I use a multiplier but I'm open to returning to fixed spool.

Can anybody suggest a suitable rod? I fancy the look of a century CCC (but have never held one) or even a match rod rather than a blank I can't even bend.

Many thanks in advance of any advice.

I'm open to any sensible suggestions (or even daft ones).

·
Registered
3,656 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Welshcole, Im no expert either mate. I've had a second-hand Penn Powerstick Surf rod for years and I've always been happy with it. Pretty good all round rod. I think its 12'6 3-5oz casting weight. Hope this helps :thumbs:

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
I think the tip tornado ld supermatch is what you need, it also has guides which are fixed spool and multi friendly, my brother has this rod and its super, I have the ultra lite which again is a cracking rod. No bad reviews on the ttldsm. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
435 Posts
May be worth looking at the shimano speedcast, I have the 16ft version which casts like a dream with very little effort.

·
Premium Member
9,428 Posts
Welshcole... I'm a little like you, getting on in years ( but not too many ) started getting back into sea fishing last year.
Recently bought the new Shakespear Agility surf 13ft. I first bought the FS version and loved it. I now have the MX as well so I can now use both fixed spool or multiplier ( or both ) They are light and cast well. I paid £65 for each of them

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
you wont go far wrong with a ccc
very good rod easy to cast some say bit indication is poor but i disagree its fine this is the bristol channel afterall super fine tips are no good here

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's all down to price, if you want the best you won't go wrong with a Century Tip Tornado Supermatch, ideal for the Bristol Channel.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I would say according to budget available ,and new or second hand,up to a £100 ,new greys grxs,or sonic ,even a daiwa sandstorm if you are lucky,as for second hand again greys,sonix,anyfish anywhere,if your willing to go to £150 then a good tip tornado can be had ,for me the Shakespeare saltmx 12ft or 13ft are probably the best budget rods ever produced I have both and these will launch a clipped down bait a fair distance and have great bite detection I have hauled double figure rays up the wall on porthcawl pier and handled smoothound to 9lb with no problems ,you cant get new now but 2nd hand you will probably get a goodun for £35 on ebay or gumtree even on our sales page on here
regards gerwynmr2

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If you can get an original two piece Salt beach 13' MX beachcaster they're a great rod for the money.

new

Shakespeare Salt 13'' Multiplier Beachcaster | Sea Fishing | Hastings Angling Centre

Shakespeare Salt beach MX | eBay

Well made and easy to cast but with a lot of grunt at the bottom:thumbs:
Agreed, original salt MX is a cracking rod. I have a matching pair for my general fishing, I have recently changed to reel low but the rod is equally good with reel high.
Good distance with an overhead thump as its not too hard to compress the rod, even better distance if you can get a bend further down the butt.

·
Premium Member
38,484 Posts
If you can obtain one within budget a 15' continental styled rod is ideal over clean or semi-rough ground. They can cast up to 8oz, they are very easy to load so distance with either a fix spool or multiplier is no problem with an over head thump. Most are rung either or so suit both types of reel choices. At 70 I own two of these rods and I can still put the lead where it needs to go with little or no effort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd avoid the 6nbaits if your only fishing clean ground. They do take some effort to compress too. Great rods for rougher ground tho. 4nbait would be more suitable.

I've got a sonik NCT, best of both worlds really. Love it to bits. Bought 2nd hand for a steal. I'd buy a good 2nd hand rod over a brand new cheaper one

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just bought a 14' continental beachcaster by vercelli. Light has hell put a decent fixed spool on it with 10lb line and shock and you'll have great fun with it. Ok for the pebs etc. Not aberthaw in the rocks. £220 in holton rd angling. I'm skinny as well !!

·
Registered
92 Posts
If its clean ground fishing cant go wrong with an Alcedo modularis picked mine up from a site called Fisherbagstore for around 80.00 bargain at that price x

G

·
since i started back recently ive been using my old 3 piece daiwa
it still casts well but is somewhat heavier than most modern rods
being on budget i just ordered a daiwa sensor bass and same 13 foot f/s beach rod
both costing under a £100
hope to be bashing them out very soon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to everybody for their replies. Lots to think about and mucho begging to the FPO (Fishing Permission Officer who also controls the purse strings) required.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts