World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
morning all,
after finishing our new fishing boat, we have decided to moor her at sovereign harbour in eastbourne.she will be going in on sunday weather permitting and we hope to get out for a few hours fishing as well as her second lot of sea trials.
since were thames and crouch fisherman and have no experience of channel marks and techniques i was hoping some of you might be able to share your experience regarding possible tactics baits and marks around the harbour area and slightly further afield.
thanks in anticipation. also with regard to navigation are there any difficult areas to watch for.
i intend to post as many reports as possible and it would be lovely to not blank on her maiden trip.
kind regards
rob "Sonny Jim"

·
Registered
544 Posts
It may have all cleared now but there were huge clumps of weed floating off eastbourne thursday,best avoided if you see any as from what i have been told there was driftwood and junk wrapped up amongst it. Check eastbourne angling association website for a few marks.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
For starters ,you have rough ground at about 3 miles straight out from the harbour known as the horse of willenden(spelling?).A favourite bass haunt and ideal for a few hours sea trial.Drifting it with live joeys or sandeels would be my choice.

Ian

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Yippeee!
an eastbourne boat on wsf, now we can repell the newhaven hoardes cos theres two of us.
the horse is good but was blank today. sightly inshore of that is the reef called the elphick tree, which is where i took the bream off of today.
lots of wrecks beyond the tower and then out in to the channel.
navigation wise steer clear of the wreck to port as you leave the harbour.. stay in the middle of the channel in the harbour at low tide, avoid the nutters in the locks and apart from some rough water once you are out there if you hit anything you can get out and walk home.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks ospreyman
will be taking it down in a minute but no crane available today so we have to wait a week(doh)
thanks for your advice.we will be on the end of j pontoon (sonny jim) so give us a look when your about and we will start getting a plan to outwit the newhaven lot!
regards rob

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx mate
i cant wait to try new techniques
where will i find sand eels and whats the technique for catching em or do you purchase yours live
finally i love lures and jellies are they in the same league as real bait down there
regards rob

·
Registered
696 Posts
thanks ospreyman
will be taking it down in a minute but no crane available today so we have to wait a week(doh)
thanks for your advice.we will be on the end of j pontoon (sonny jim) so give us a look when your about and we will start getting a plan to outwit the newhaven lot!
regards rob
lol as an ex eastbourne beach launcher and now one of ''the Newhaven lot'' if you look at the Eastbourne Angling club website they have got a few marks listed and a small map indicating where they are for you to look at, phone glen at Anglers Den for a sandeel suppliers number who I think is in Pevensey Bay.......oh and if you and Greg need any help in how to catch them just ask Greg as he will know where I am plundering your shoals.................:roll1::whistling

·
Registered
20,936 Posts
lol as an ex eastbourne beach launcher and now one of ''the Newhaven lot'' if you look at the Eastbourne Angling club website they have got a few marks listed and a small map indicating where they are for you to look at, phone glen at Anglers Den for a sandeel suppliers number who I think is in Pevensey Bay.......oh and if you and Greg need any help in how to catch them just ask Greg as he will know where I am plundering your shoals.................:roll1::whistling
:clap:The sandeel suppliers number is, 07967 884878, or, 07939 612081, tell him Norm sent you.:fishing1:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi from another berth holder at soveriegn, and welcome, any way i can help with a few marks i will, you have a number for Rory, for live sandeels, just make sure you have a bait bucket and areater, if have not got a tank on the boat keep changing the water, if they get warm they will go over, on the horse if you drift it for bass with the live sandeels, it can be very good, but can be very tacklehungry, all the best m8 with your new boat, Graham---Pecheur--- e pontoon

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
We always used Rory for our sandeels and can vouch for them.Not sure what boat you have or how uve set it up but we always kept our sandeels in a cool box,a decent size ice pack on the bottom lots or news paper soaked in the tankwater, then the eels ,then plenty more soaked paper with another pack on top.This kept them alive all day,you may lose the odd 1 but most will be still alive when you get home!if you have any left wack em in the freezer.The trick is to keep them moist,covered and cold !not frozen.Worth a try if you havnt or dont want to set up a bait tank.Live prawns would be another idea.Would have to agree the horse is a tackle grave yard.Good luck and nice to see a bit of a Eastbourne revival going on.:1a:

Ian

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
id just like to say thanks for the replies,very encouraging start and cant wait to get the eastbourne/newhaven challenge going!
just come back from towing the boat down and plundering a few lagers whilst watching the marina.Spoke to a few people who said the mackerel were in great numbers and a lady had bream,bass and a 10lb cod,though shed come in because the easterley winds had made it a bit lumpy .
were now in next saturday so we will hopefully be doing a report when we get back
cheers again people
rob
ps i will borrow a few marks between then and now if poss thanks

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
chris
i didnt know there were any locally- let alone you are coming and plundering them!
get yourself a bream trip to the bar coming off the head lighthouse, thats the nearest spot to you that i have had them, if you let me know when i will try and come along with the mrs sea.
all the best
greg

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers greg
i should be in by middayish saturday and then a pontoon test then out hopefully,so if your about weather permitting we would gratefully accept your offer.what tactics prove best for the bream
regards rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Rob
All the best for your launch on Sat with "sonny Jim", Be down the boat the Weekend with the wife, so i"ll look out for you, With regard to the bream tactics, i ether use simple 2 hook paternoster, or flowing 2 hook trace, i always use circle hooks, and have found them great, the bream snatch and just hook themselves,as for bait no.1 for me is the party squid (baby ones) are fantastic and the bream love them, Rig i use for live sandeel either a portland rig 6 to 9ft trace sometimes have a rotton bottom on the lead, or a straight thru trace of the link swivel not running, not trying to teach u to suck eggs, Rob, The elphick tree be a good start for you to try for some bream, as some of the shoals do like anchors, Graham --Pecheur

1 - 14 of 14 Posts