World Sea Fishing Forums banner

New Boat - Help!!

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  ebgb 
#1 ·
Hello,

I wanted thank all the guys that helped with my enquiry last night over fishing from a speedbaot.....to keep you posted, the speedboat is now up for sale!! I wont be using it for fishing.

However (!!!), I have found something that might meet my needs of just the odd day out maybe a mile or two of the coast for some light fishing and fun with a friend and the better half. Nothing fancy.

I have posted link to the item and would value very much, any thoughts and comments on the boat, Etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fisherman-13-...0098614706QQcategoryZ1296QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As stated, It would only be used for the two of us, at a push three of us in the summer for no more than a mile or two off the east anglian coast for mackerel/bass/light bottom fishing.

Your thoughts and comments awaited.

(I have been in touch with the seller who works in a boatyard, and he has been using for the last year from the Essex coast and says it's fine)

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
Personally, I wouldnt go to sea in anything smaller than about 16ft. There are plenty of boats out there. May I suggest looking on boats and outboards as there are always nice little boats on there. If this fails but only as a last resort take another look on Ebay.

G
#5 ·
Fine for very close in work on a fair day.
Estuary, river, etc
Still need safety gear and a set of oars would be handy along with an engine (at a guess 6Hp max).

3 will be a real squeeze and it isn't the sort of boat that you will wander around on. Get your gear on, get on and then sit down where you will stay for the day.

Good luck.

Tom

G
#7 ·
I wouldn't go out in anything more than a very light breeze and then I would keep within a mile.
15 or 20 hp is massive overkill for that boat, it is a displacement hull designed for doing fast walking pace.
At a guess I would say that 6Hp would be tops.

#8 ·
So if this boat is no good at l for what we want it for, then I need not bother going for it then!

Thats put a downer on that!! :(

I see lots of 13ft to 16ft fishing boats coming up for sale on various sites most days and some f them are lovley boats like I thought this was, so what is the ideal sized boat for one or two people to have a days FUN on then within a mile or two of the shore from the places mentioned in my previous post?

What exactly is wrong with the boat I have chosen?

Is is unsafe to use or be dangerous for the two of us?

Why only use it for very close in fishing?

All your answers are excellent advice so they are very much appreciated.

Thanks

#9 ·
its a cat c boat so ok for inshore use say to about 2 miles and in low wind upto f3. get some proper lifejackets etc and it should be fine. id only want 2 max on it because any moving around will greatly unsettle the boat. max 10hp but more like 5-6hp will be plenty.

#10 ·
Three will overcroud the boat big time. Also as Tom says it's a sit down and stay down little boat. Any one standing up suddenly and moving to one side or other could easily flip the boat over. Engine 5hp MAXIMUM! Inexperianced people always show their inexperiance by over stating engine requirements. It's a testosterone thing.

I know you are desparate to get afloat but there are much better boats for your needs and money.
Look for a chathederal hull for stability and carrying capacity and 15ft as the minimum length.

Good luck and good hunting.

Afishionado

#11 ·
Afishionado,
Any Ideas on where I can find one of the aforementioned boats with tht hull?

I am looking to only spend £300 to £500 maximum on the hull with electrical gear installed & trailer minus engine (As I already have an engine im discussing with someone for this boat should all else fail)???

Can you give me links to any for sale?

As I said before, I would only use it for close in FUN fishing with 2 on board and only from April to September from Cromer - Great Yarmouth - Lowestoft, where the tides are not fast or hard.

Thanks

G
#12 ·
Afishionado has kind have said it.

RoarSM. What is your maximum budget?

Tell us the budget and I bet you'll get a load of web links posted to potentially good options.
Personally I wouldn't buy an old boat off eBay.

#16 ·
If you want a boat on a budget then a displacement, open 13 to 14 foot dinghy with as deep sides as you can get, and a 5-10hp outboard will fish 2 comfortably, 3 at a pinch and will give loads of fun for sheltered inshore fishing. A big plus is you can manhandle boat and trailer for launching, no need to worry about towcars on a slipway. I bet you could get boat, outboard, trailer, basic safety gear and all the bits/bobs you need and still have change from £1,000. If it works for you (and that is how I got started), then you can save up and trade up over time, plus get some fishing and experience in the meantime.

#20 ·
The RNLI use RIBS for close inshore work (they designed the original). If you want to be a whole lot safer in a short boat you could try a RIB.

You'll be lucky for £500...

#22 ·
Good Morning Guys,

I have been talking to the seller of the 13ft (Microplus???) as previously discussed in the above posts on this thread, and he has come up with something which looks more suitable for my needs (???)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ormalite-idea...0098618411QQcategoryZ1296QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Have a look and tell me your thoughts and comments, but please bare in mind what I will be using it for (You can see what I want it for in my previous posts on this thread)

The dimensions are as follows:

18ft Length
6.1/2ft Beam
2ft Draught

Rated to 25hp MAX!

What engine size do you think would be suitable?

Who is the manufacturer of such a boat?

Thanks in advance

#26 ·
Good Morning Guys,

I have been talking to the seller of the 13ft (Microplus???) as previously discussed in the above posts on this thread, and he has come up with something which looks more suitable for my needs (???)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ormalite-idea...0098618411QQcategoryZ1296QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Have a look and tell me your thoughts and comments, but please bare in mind what I will be using it for (You can see what I want it for in my previous posts on this thread)

The dimensions are as follows:

18ft Length
6.1/2ft Beam

2ft Draught

Rated to 25hp MAX!

What engine size do you think would be suitable?

Who is the manufacturer of such a boat?

Thanks in advance

It's a Microplus Explorer. Could be anything form 1970's to 1990's but from the look of her I would guess she is about 30 years old (not that that is a problem) As for the squeeze three aboard !!! An easy three and a possible four on a fine day.
They have a high freeboard and a shallow V hull certainly not a cathederal. Reasonable in their day as a harbour and coastal fishing/family boat but outclassed by the modern stuff.

This boat in particular needs a lot of cosmetic work at the very least, but having said that if it were cheap enough I would buy her in a heart beat as some hard work and paint would triple here value. Take the "all the wires and steering cables are in good conditions" with a pinch of salt, and if they are that's a bonus. However they are not too expensive to replace.

Engine needs to be a MINIMUM of 25hp and it will be great with a 40/50hp.

Good luck

Afishionado

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.