World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just boat myself an 18ft boat on a trailer. I've always kept previous boats berthed. I'd love to fish the boat off Swansea and especially Oxwich. Can anyone give me some info on where to launch. My main problem is that I'm pulling the boat with a Diesel Car. Are there suitable places to launch using a car and is it true that there is a farmer in oxwich who will launch for you? any info or contact information appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
JigaJig there are 2 public slipways in Mumbles (Swansea) One steep one which is open access, steep & wide, giving good facilities about 3hrs either side of H.W. the second is a longer shallower slip giving access at almost all stages of smaller tides. This second one is barriered & manned by Council Workers from 0800 to 2000, 7days a week in summer, but the barrier is open from 2000 to 0800. Access is to registered boats only during the day, it costs you £5 per year to register, take your insurance certificate with you & you can register in 2 mins at the slipway office, where you will get a stick-on number.
Oxwich is a beach launch, a ramp is available to get you onto the sand, but if the tide is well out you have a long way to bring your car & trailer back to dry ground, then you have to walk all the way back out to your boat etc, etc. Traffic to & from Oxwich in the summer is an absolute f*****g NIGHTMARE, personally I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole!
Port Eynon has a boat club which has several tractors at its disposal, again the journey down to Port Eynon can be a nightmare on that South Gower road in summer. Best person to ask about details of Port Eynon would be SWWASAC send him a private message.
blueskip
PS a 4x4 is not necessary at Mumbles, but at Oxwich & Port Eynon you are on the beach, I wouldn't fancy running an 18 footer across the sand with a car!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blueskip,

Thanks for the advice. Thought oxwich might be a nightmare. Looking forward to getting out on those banks and seeing if those double figure bass are still in residence.

Cheers Jig a Jig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts