World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all - me and a friend of mine are thinking about going into business - thinking about getting a boat...

now, as we are shore fishermen we dont know a great deal about offhsore marks, so does anyone think it would work if we ere to hire out the boat to anglers and that they can decide where they want to go - basically the boat is theres for the duration, to go where ever they want and to fish in which ever place they want for as long as they want? obviously the price would be much lower than in 'proper' charter boats as there wouldnt be as much experience on hand or knowledge of the marks.

i'd be interested to hear your ideas - would this idea work at al - would YOU hire a boat for a day or half day and use it as your own (that is with us skippering with the right qualificaitons and insurance etc)?

cheers

·
The Bean Counter
44,136 Posts
Interesting question. I would have thought that most anglers would be looking for the skipper to take them somewhere where they can catch fish, therefore, they would be looking for an experienced skipper.
I for one wouldnt fancy coming back to shore after a days fishing with no result so I would say the answer to your question is no.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
depends what area you are in.
if there is a resident charter fleet they might be willing to give you some help.
also depends how much cheaper you are.
if you don't have much experience in boat fishing then i would say you are on an uphill battle.
you may be better off hiring a local to skipper the boat for a year or two so you can learn off him.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think a spell on a charter boat learning hte ropes would be beneficial. at least then we can offer knowledge and advice. As you say anglers want to catch and any help we could offe would only help our business. Also i agree - a local skipper may be a good idea.

Cheers for the feedback by the way, keep it coming!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi Seaurchin. Nice idea but my view is that only a local angler would know what marks are worth fishing/ were they are/ when to fish them. A travelling angler would rely on you to supply this information. Thus, this would limit your potential customer base. Also, most of the established skippers have been in the job a long time, are a goldmine of information and are good at their job. No offence intended, but playing them at their own game would be pretty futile until you have a good knowledge of marks, tactics etc. My father-in law has a private boat (not charter) and it has taken us years to get to a state where we can usually predict what to do/ where to go on a particular day. Even now, we certainly would not like the thought of having to put paying anglers consistantly over fish. Sorry to pour cold water on your idea but at the end of the day, it does'nt matter how cheap someone is, its results that matter. Having said this, I wish you luck.

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
:) :) i think you should look at safety first. if you are intending to allow possible novices to take a boat out you may not get your boat back let alone all the people that went out on it. and wouldn't you require one hell of a deposit before you let it go out. all the kit, safety gear, electronics, insurance, mooring. ect. if you have that much money you should get a small one and use it for a good few years.
sorry mate bad idea :) :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks again fellas for the thoughts. on the point of letting people take the boat out on their own - that wouldnt happen, we would skipper the boat and have all the neccessary safety equipment etc - hell we were even going to go on courses to become qualified and insured of course, first aiders and even thought about life guards! Also although we would have the suitable qualification to take out paying customers i agree totally that that would be no substitue in the long run for first hand knowledge and experience.

perhaps i'll become a tree surgeon instead...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
seaurchin,

although most of the replies have been negative it doesn't mean it's not possible.
if you can afford to pay someone for a year or two to learn off it's maybe possible.
don't give up the dream just yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
The Bean Counter
44,136 Posts
Why not use the boat during summer months for taking tourists on boat trips and when they have all bogged of use it for taking local anglers, who know where they want to fish, out and about.
By the way the insurance for tree surgery work is very expensive. :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i aint gonna give up on the idea completely - just postpone it - i thikn we need to get a better understanding of hte local area first, the marks etc - perhaps in a year or two things will be more on our side. Taking tourists out on trips of the coast line wouldnt be such a bad idea - or even a ferry service running from port to port for a while.

not tree surgery then....anyone know what the insurance would be like for a freelance amputation service - kinda like avon only you dont have to wait for the goods - we call at your door, ask if you need anything lopping off, and out comes the chain saw (a relic from the tree surgery idea)?

i amy ask the local charter skippers if they have any room for a deck hand - that may help us out.

P

·
0 Posts
hi mate, i for one did not mean to discourage you and i am sorry if i did. when are you getting your boat cos i would be your first customer.
Thinkin about it ididnt say anyting annyway sorry :confused:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi prawncocktail - slightly confused by your appology there lol as for the boat - we havent got anyhtign yet, just widnow shopping at the mo. we have afew business ideas that we're looking at - we've both got degrees in computing so we may make a website for fishing in plymouth and west devon - i cant find any istes for this area!

on that note - what would you all like to see in a web site based on a specific area - i.e. plymouth. things i was thinking about adding would be marks page, begginers pages, weather, tactics, rigs pages, current form, details of any local competitions, gallery and maybe even a page with some recipes. What you think? this would just be somethig i do in my spare time - probably have a kinda of forum on there like this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Iif i was you id give up shore fishing for a year or two and take up boat fishing.by this i mean paying a skipper to take you out and then WATCH + LEARN.successful skippers take many years learning to give their crew a good days fishing.but you do have to start somewhere of courseand i do beleive this could be a good place to start.you can also buy nautical maps showing you all the wrecks,rough ground,rock pinnacles and depths.another option would be to buy a small boat,i mean like 17/18ft and use it in the estuarys and then when you become confident you can go off shore a bit in calmer seas.nothing is impossible ,.but there are ways of going about things.good luck.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Just a thought but couldn't you buy a boat and keep it for personal use for a year or so but invite experienced boat anglers in your area to come along for a free trip - then pick their brains. Also take anyone who wants to go - for the price of a bucket of bait they get a day afloat - and if you blank it ain't cost them nothing. might be a way to build up your knowledge of the area before actually charging someone who might be p**sed off at blanking.

BTW is a tree surgeon anything like the normal kind because I've got this problem with my back you see and I need a bit of advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts