World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all - me and a friend of mine are thinking about going into business - thinking about getting a boat...

now, as we are shore fishermen we dont know a great deal about offhsore marks, so does anyone think it would work if we ere to hire out the boat to anglers and that they can decide where they want to go - basically the boat is theres for the duration, to go where ever they want and to fish in which ever place they want for as long as they want? obviously the price would be much lower than in 'proper' charter boats as there wouldnt be as much experience on hand or knowledge of the marks.

i'd be interested to hear your ideas - would this idea work at al - would YOU hire a boat for a day or half day and use it as your own (that is with us skippering with the right qualificaitons and insurance etc)?

cheers

· Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think a spell on a charter boat learning hte ropes would be beneficial. at least then we can offer knowledge and advice. As you say anglers want to catch and any help we could offe would only help our business. Also i agree - a local skipper may be a good idea.

Cheers for the feedback by the way, keep it coming!

· Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks again fellas for the thoughts. on the point of letting people take the boat out on their own - that wouldnt happen, we would skipper the boat and have all the neccessary safety equipment etc - hell we were even going to go on courses to become qualified and insured of course, first aiders and even thought about life guards! Also although we would have the suitable qualification to take out paying customers i agree totally that that would be no substitue in the long run for first hand knowledge and experience.

perhaps i'll become a tree surgeon instead...

· Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i aint gonna give up on the idea completely - just postpone it - i thikn we need to get a better understanding of hte local area first, the marks etc - perhaps in a year or two things will be more on our side. Taking tourists out on trips of the coast line wouldnt be such a bad idea - or even a ferry service running from port to port for a while.

not tree surgery then....anyone know what the insurance would be like for a freelance amputation service - kinda like avon only you dont have to wait for the goods - we call at your door, ask if you need anything lopping off, and out comes the chain saw (a relic from the tree surgery idea)?

i amy ask the local charter skippers if they have any room for a deck hand - that may help us out.

· Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi prawncocktail - slightly confused by your appology there lol as for the boat - we havent got anyhtign yet, just widnow shopping at the mo. we have afew business ideas that we're looking at - we've both got degrees in computing so we may make a website for fishing in plymouth and west devon - i cant find any istes for this area!

on that note - what would you all like to see in a web site based on a specific area - i.e. plymouth. things i was thinking about adding would be marks page, begginers pages, weather, tactics, rigs pages, current form, details of any local competitions, gallery and maybe even a page with some recipes. What you think? this would just be somethig i do in my spare time - probably have a kinda of forum on there like this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.