World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good people, I have tried searching through the forum for an idiots guide to fitting a new deck and stringers from start to finish. I have a small 4m open boat that needs this doing and I would like to undertake it myself.please can someone point me In The right direction of threads on here that they think would help me the most, if they know of any? I have searched but can't seem to find a start to finish type one?
Many thanks
John

·
Registered
837 Posts
Some people prefer to use cellotex type material for the stingers but this one is a good example of workmanship!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot mate, I will have a look now. Yes I've seen the cellotex way, there's a build on here that I've seen from dinghyfisher, on a small dory, looks really good.
Thanks again

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some people prefer to use cellotex type material for the stingers but this one is a good example of workmanship!
Wow that is good workmanship!
Now I'm a bit mixed up.......
Some people say that using wood as stringers doesn't let the glass fibre hull flex as supposed to? And could cause hard points on the hull? Where as the cellotex way does let the hull flex as supposed to?????
If using wood? Do I stick straight to hull first with something like silkaflex of would I leave a gap and fill with it?
Baffled...?.???...

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
stick the ply ribs down with bonding paste and then glass over with 3 layers of 1.5oz mat.

i rebuilt the boat in the above link for its owner.

wilsons use ply on all the boats apart from there 24 which uses cellotex for the ribs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stick the ply ribs down with bonding paste and then glass over with 3 layers of 1.5oz mat.

i rebuilt the boat in the above link for its owner.

wilsons use ply on all the boats apart from there 24 which uses cellotex for the ribs.
Thanks for that, really good input and the pics of the build help explain a lot to me, looks like a really nice job done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts