World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Okay thanks understood! I will maybe try closer to the Tropicana this weekend when the tides get within that range again. Would you recommend taking a look at the beach/mud terrain at low tide?
Yes, BUT... You only need to look at what you'll be casting onto when the tide comes in e.g everything from a chuck beyond the sand line and then up the beach. Don't go out on the mud, although there are sometimes firmer areas that seem OK there is also a sudden small patch of mud that's like quicksand without warning and you don't want to be one of many people that end up having to be rescued.

If you go down at ~3 hrs before high and get ready to fish from about 2.5 hrs setting up on the edge of the sand line, you can see plenty of the ground you'll be fishing on. Don't worry that the sea seems nowhere near you at 3 hours before, it'll reach you very quickly as it absolutely belts in over the last few hundred metres of mud. I recently went out and saw two chaps heading further out and setting up tripods while I made camp in what looks like the middle of dry beach. Half an hour later, there were making a hasty retreat.

Any way that a worm or two will stay on the hook in a fair old tide rip works for me, especially fresh dug local blow lug. I sometimes tip with little bits of squid or even a sliver of elastic band to stop the fresh worms washing off too fast in the tide.

As you suggest, tides get better again at the weekend. And maybe this week's hooly might have subsided enough to be able to stand up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, BUT... You only need to look at what you'll be casting onto when the tide comes in e.g everything from a chuck beyond the sand line and then up the beach. Don't go out on the mud, although there are sometimes firmer areas that seem OK there is also a sudden small patch of mud that's like quicksand without warning and you don't want to be one of many people that end up having to be rescued.

If you go down at ~3 hrs before high and get ready to fish from about 2.5 hrs setting up on the edge of the sand line, you can see plenty of the ground you'll be fishing on. Don't worry that the sea seems nowhere near you at 3 hours before, it'll reach you very quickly as it absolutely belts in over the last few hundred metres of mud. I recently went out and saw two chaps heading further out and setting up tripods while I made camp in what looks like the middle of dry beach. Half an hour later, there were making a hasty retreat.

Any way that a worm or two will stay on the hook in a fair old tide rip works for me, especially fresh dug local blow lug. I sometimes tip with little bits of squid or even a sliver of elastic band to stop the fresh worms washing off too fast in the tide.

As you suggest, tides get better again at the weekend. And maybe this week's hooly might have subsided enough to be able to stand up.
I have read lots that the mud can be dangerous so yeah will be keeping my wits about me when taking a look at low tide! Awesome thanks for the suggestion I’ll try something along those lines on the weekend, hopefully the weather is nice.

I popped into a local tackle shop last week and the guy recommended using rag and lug on each hook to “cover all your options”. Is this a legit method? Also I recently discovered middle hope bay and really liked it there, would the same approach as the beach be useful there or do I need to consider some other factors? Thanks :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I popped into a local tackle shop last week and the guy recommended using rag and lug on each hook to “cover all your options”. Is this a legit method? Also I recently discovered middle hope bay and really liked it there, would the same approach as the beach be useful there or do I need to consider some other factors? Thanks :)
Did this person have some rag to sell by any chance? ;-)

Have not fished Middle Hope but would suggest a recce anywhere around there to know what you are casting onto as the ground is mixed along that section of the coastline.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Did this person have some rag to sell by any chance? ;-)

Have not fished Middle Hope but would suggest a recce anywhere around there to know what you are casting onto as the ground is mixed along that section of the coastline.
Yeah i got some lug and rag today, thyers fishing shop in burnham. Yeah okay good suggestion I shall do! Here’s to my first catch over the weekend👍🏽

21 - 24 of 24 Posts