World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good, durable, beachcaster 12". for under £80. preferably for a fixed spool reel.
Bought gear about 5 years ago and now its time to update, but havent checked out the market yet, and dont want to be ripped off by big name stuff!!!!

Also,
Has anyone had any problems with crimps on traces? any advice on the use of them?

Thank you
:confused:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
For a decent beachcaster try at the lower end rods like odessa etc from shakespeare.

The powerstcik are supposed to be ok from penn.

Reel wise, shimano aerlex abouit 50 quid is a decent fixed spool, plenty of guts, brutus by shakespeare is ok, alos emcast by diawa.

you could go cheaper on rod and reel, depends what ground u are fishing on.

If its quite rough you want a reel and rod with a bit of bollocks, if you do get caught up however, DONT walk away from beach with rod and reel pointing toward snag, reel with slip and u wil eventually feel gears go, on all reels this is a bad idea, even the shimano is not bombproof, best thing is to put rod down, let out slack and tug away with line wrapped around a piece of wood or gloved hand.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Sorry missread, If you have 80 quid have a look on veals website, plenty of decent lower range rods there, also look at all of shakespeare range, some even like the cheaper ones they do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
JamesB said:
Also,
Has anyone had any problems with crimps on traces? any advice on the use of them?

Thank you
:confused:
Sorry James, no advice worth offering on your rod dilemma, but others seem to have that sussed anyhow!

As for crimps, however, it seems they can often be a subject of some controversy. It's possible if the wrong ones are used, or they're not applied correctly, they can weaken the trace they're used on to the point of it becoming dangerous... :eek:

I guess if you want ultimate safety, then steer clear, and stick with powergum stop knots instead. However, personally, I find crimps useful, particularly when making stops for impact shields, and multi-hook (non-blasting) paternoster rigs.

My advice would be to firstly make sure you have a robust trace line. I like to use 80lb line, which gives a fair bit of confidence, and can take a bit of wear without becoming dangerous.

Second, make sure you get the softer, copper type crimps, rather than the s/steel jobbies, as I think these need a much harder pinch to get results, more likely to cause line damage.

Third, make sure you get some decent crimping pliers, as these are designed not to make dangerous indentations in the line.

I can honestly say I've been using them for over 10 years now, and whilst I'm no Mackellow, I do like to give the casting my all at times, and I've never had a crimp cause one of my rigs to break in all that time.

HTH,

Cheers,
JB.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for advice everyone, going now to put a new tank of fuel in the tackle shop owners ferrari!!
haha

James,
:D

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
The Sea Angler tested the Ron Thompson Extreme Stick 12ft Beachcaster (4-8oz) with an Okuma Beachcster Pro Edition 380 and gave an outstanding report about 2 years ago. On stregth of it I bought the pair About £70 I think. Very pleased with both - performs as well as gear costing twice as much.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers pedro!
Yeah i think that is the main consideration is the strength, definatly look into that one. thanks for the advice

·
Registered
5 Posts
I Would Advise You To Use Crimps If You Want.
I Have Used Them For Fishing Heavy Rock Marks In The North East And Scotland Sometimes Having To Snap The Line Purposely When Snagged And It Has Never Broke Of At The Crimped Piece.i Think Its A Case Of Someone Reports It In A Mag And It Suddenly Becomes A Fact.make Sure The Line Your Crimping Is In Good Condition And Your Using The Right Size Crimp For Your Line Thickness.i Suspect That Problems In These Areas Have Led To Failures In The Past Rather Than Problems With The Crimps Themselves. Tight Lines Old Bean

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Piscadore not having a go m8 but that capital letters stuff really hurts my eyes :( And James as I probably paid for the thing the least you can do is tank it up :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts