World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

I am trying to write a half decent fish log (some copies will be made available for FREE). &nbsp; I obviosly do not know all of the species and sub species that are fished for sport, and am apealing for your help to build a comprehensive list.
The following was kindly given to me by a friend, but is somewhat limited.
If anyone can give me additions to the list (no mucking about please,this is a serious project) and also give me help defining species and sub-species I would be happy to give them a copy of the log when it is finished.
Perhaps anyone who intends helping could look at the board before submitting so that we can avoid duplications.
Obviously we all fish in different regions, so perhaps it would be a good idea to list by region as well (Hey, perhaps someone in England could catch a fish notmally found in another region - that would be good news)

Looking forward to your help

Angler Fish
Barbel
Bass Large Mouth
Bass Sea
Bass Small Mouth
Blackhead
Bream
Bream Black
Bream Common
Bream Sliver
Brill
Bull Rout
Butterfish
Carp Blue
Carp Common
Carp Crucian
Carp Ghost
Carp Mirror
Carp Silver
Catfish
Catfish American Bullhead
Catfish Black Bullhead
Chub
Clingfish Shore
Coalfish/Coley
Cod
Comber
Corkwing
Crilse
Dab Long Rough
Dace
Dentex
Doby Diminutive
Dogfish Greater Spoted
Dogfish Lesser Spotted
Eel Conger
Eel
Flounder
Garfish
Gilthead
Goby Black
Goby Common
Goby Fries
Goby Painted
Goby Rock
Goby Sand
Grayling
Gudgeon
Gurnard Grey
Gurnard Red
Gwyniad
Haddock
Halibut
Herring
John Dory
Lamprey Sea
Ling
Lumpsucker
Mackerel
Meagre
Minnow
Monkfish
Montagu Blenny
Mullet Red
Mullet Thick Lipped
Mullet Thin Lipped
Perch
Pike
Pilchard
Pipefish
Piper
Plaice
Pogge
Pollack
Pollock
Pouting
Ray Blonde
Ray Cuckoo
Ray Eagle
Ray Small Eyed
Ray Spotted
Ray Spotted Eagle
Ray Thornback
Redfish
Remora
Roach
Rockcool
Rockling Five Bearded
Rockling Four Bearded
Rockling Shore
Rockling Three Bearded
Rudd
Ruffe
Salmon
Sandeal Greater
Sandeel Lesser
Sardine
Scad
Scaldfish
Scorpion Fish
Sea Scorpion
Sea Snail
Shanny
Skate
Smelt
Smouthound
Sole
Sole Dover
Steelhead
Stickleback
Stickleback Ten Spined
Stickleback Three Spined
Sturgeon
Swordfish
Tadpole Fish
Tench
Tompot Blenny
Tope
Topknot
Trout Blue
Trout Brook
Trout Brown
Trout Golden
Trout Rainbow
Trout Sea
Tuna Longfin
Tuna Yellow Fin
Turbot
Twaite Shad
Vendace
Weever Greater
Weever Lesser
Whiting
Witch
Wolf Fish
Wrasse Ballan
Wrasse Corkwing
Wrasse Cuckoo
Wrasse Goldsinny
Wrasse Rock Cook
Wreckfish
Zander</font>

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
<font color='#000000'>This sounds like a great project&#33; I&#39;ll be thinking of some other species over the next few days, if I can ;) in the mean time, this is a pinned topic
</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Mullet Golden Grey
Gurnard Tub
Blenny - dunno the names of them all
Poor Cod (not that I can tell the difference from Pouting most of the time - Mike, can you post on this
)

Think rockcool, should be rock cook

No sign of Mersey Trout, probably best left out &nbsp;

Catergorised by fresh/saltwater would be a good idea.</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Here&#39;s an idea. Why not get a book on British fish species from your local library? Make sure its a relatively recent one coz names change over the years. Two other things - 1. There are two skate species which are meant to frequent British waters, the common and long nosed (I think). 2. The sea trout and the brown trout are the same species (Salmo trutta). They are not sub-species of the same thing but appear to be different modes of life cycle for the same species.</font>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
<font color='#000000'>alis shad
torske
burbot
blue whiting
john dory

giz an hour and i&#39;ll rack me brains some more
)</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Good list there boys it will be one #### of a mission to catch some of those species mentioned as some are only occasional visitors to the British Isle, well boys good luck. next time I go fishing I&#39;ll keep a log and we can compile what we catch on-line if you want. I may be able to set something up if I have the spare time to do so.</font>

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (fishing_fanatic @ July 20 2004,21:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'>So I take it the idea is to include freshwater fish as well.</font>[/b][/quote]
<font color='#000000'>yep Freshwater as well (it will have sections for Sea, Game and course)</font>

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font color='#000000'>A big thank-you to all who have helped with this, I think I must have them all now. &nbsp;Give me a bit of time and I will let you know when it&#39;s done, then arrange copies for all who have helped, (if wanted)

Thanks again

Clive</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
<font color='#000080'>Fishing Fanatic,
Yeah I thought that was strange but 5 of the first 10 are freshwater fish.....and it means I could write down 5 instead of 2 &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#000000'>what about silver eels or are they same as normal eels during there migratory transition between sea and freshwater?</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Oh yeh rather an exotic one but here we go sunfish. If I think of any more I will be sure to post them Ive actually got a book somewhere that has all the fish of the British Isle in, I&#39;ll dig it out and have a good hard look</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Another unless it has a different name, the stingray, wolf fish all though this is deep water species, rat fish deep water species again, blue ling all though not 100% sure whether this species exists, Saithe, Lemon Sole</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Chris thanks for the input but I think that horse mackerel are the same as scad and that spanish mackerel are not located within british waters all though I could be wrong about that.</font>

·
Registered
6 Posts
<font color='#3BB9FF'>sorry forgot to mention you missed off orfe&#39;s as well i thik there is &nbsp;afew golden etc an also goldfish&#33;&#33; &nbsp;
</font>

1 - 20 of 39 Posts