World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>I am about to retire and became infected with the sea angling bug last year. I bought a couple of cheap telescopic rods from a supermarket, (please no laughter) but would now like to upgrade to some decent kit. I intend to fish from beach and boat. I am not on a tight budget and would like to buy some decent gear that would be appropriate for a relative beginner. Has anyone any ideas as to where I should go, or what I should read, to get advice.

I have realised that I did not saythat I live in Hornchurch in Essex.</font>

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>I wouldnt suggest that you but any item on the recomendation of magazines as they tend to be sales and sponsorship related.

Do you know anyone that has some fishing experience that you can tag along with and learn from them as this is probably the best method of learning. Try reading magazines such as total sea fishing or sea angler as they have a couple of useful tips.

As for getting started, most people who start fishing tend to start with a fixed spool reel and not a multiplier as they are difficult to master in the begining, but if you know some one who fishes with one you should skip the fixed spools and go straight for a multiplier as they are more reliable.</font>

·
Registered
408 Posts
<font color='#000000'>You can&#39;t go far wrong by sticking to Shimano, Abu + Diawa, particularly in the reel department. Work out what type of ground you fish and what species you intend to catch then have a look at the reports / ad&#39;s in the magazines.</font>

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font color='#000000'>F _ F and FF

Thank for your help, I have been avidly reading since I posted my plea for help. It occured to me that if I took some lessons in casting I should be able to judge my ability and buy appropriate tackle.

F _ F, I noticed your posting on Conoflex Vampire and looked it up in the mags. I discovered that Conflex are not stocked by a number of dealers. As they will obviously recommend what they have in stock, I think the best route for me is to take your advise and speak to other anglers and read lots. I must be patient even though there are thousands of fish out there just waiting for me to catch.

Once again

Many Thanks for your help

Fred</font>

·
Registered
18 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i will just let you know of the one place i found via this site that has been a great help for me is Veals

www.veals.co.uk

they were a great help to me as living in london i find it nearly impossible to find a shop that stocks a good range of sea related stuff

And a nice free catalogue to browse though &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>If you tell me where you plan to fish and whether its with fixed spool or multiliplier I can try and advise you on what setup to get.

Information such as species, ground etc.</font>

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font color='#000000'>Good Morning F - F

Now you have really made me think.

In the beginning ( sounds biblical), I shall be fishing in England mainly from beach and pier, and sometimes from boat. Area will be from Ipswich round to Ramsgate, but mainly Thames estuary. The ground will be varied anything from smooth sand to rocks. Species - mainly bass and cod but will go after anything that&#39;s available. Later when I am more experienced I would not mind going after conger.

I will also be fishing in Portugal for several months of the year and here again it will mainly beach with some boat. Area will be the Algarve, and partly the west coast, where it tends to be more surfy. The ground can be sloping beaches but is more likely to be rocky. Species will be predominantly bass, bream but here again I will take what&#39;s on offer.

I currently use a fixed spool, but my casting technique is diabolical. I would like to progress to a multiplier, if and when I am up to the progression.

We have a family here so we will be travelling between here and Portugal several times a year. I am expecting to duplicate some, if not all of my kit, as we do want to travel relatively light. I only mention this as you may feel that the tackle has to be capable of air travel and this might affect your recommendations. One journey in a tube is all that is planned, then it will stay there.

Thanks for taking the time to help, it is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Fred</font>

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi fred, I cant really advise you on what gear might be suitable for fishing in Portugal as I have never fished there.

I can recommend the following equiptement though. When I fish estuaries and sandy beaches I use a conflex vampire MkII coupled with a Daiwa millionaire 7HT, if you buy the rod and reel second hand should cost you about £150 - £170 for the two and about £310 new.

When I fish from rough and rugged ground I use a Conoflex Highlander and a Daiwa SL30SH. The SL30SH can also double up as a light boat reel.

On the cheaper side of things the Abu Conolon is a good all round rod, that should set you back around £90.

As for the boat I use a Shakespeare ugly stick 20lb class rod coupled with a Daiwa SL250H and where I fiish they seem to handle most situations and should be suitable for light congering as well.

Hope all this helps, Im sorry I cant give you information on other rods, but I havnt used any that are still in production and havnt a clue on there suitability</font>

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font color='#000000'>Good morning F _ F

Thanks for all the info, I was intending to have a look in the tackle shops at the gear you recommend as I feel it is important to get a feel for both rod and reel. The problem is, not many seem to stock Conoflex. I&#39;ll track down the manufacturer to see if there is stockist in this area. The Shakespeare and the reels are not not difficult.

I am off to Portugal this week-end so I will be able to have a look at what tackle is available there, plus do a bit of boat fishing, with hired tackle.

I will keep you posted.

Fred</font>

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>No problem Fred, but if you know some one that has these rods (the conoflex ones) I suggest you try them out before you spend all that money on them, as they may not be too your liking but Im sure the boat gear I have suggested will be okay.

These were only suggestions and I dont want to be responsible for making you buy gear that doesnt suit you, If you are in the Cardiff or Pembrokeshire area and you want you can try out these rods yourself.</font>

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font color='#000000'>Good morning F _ F

I know the recommendations do not come with a guarantee, I am just grateful for your help. I have managed to track down three local Conoflex stockists and will visit them on my return from Portugal. I intend to take my time, which is unusual for me. It would be so easy to rush into buying, and then regret it later. The silly thing is, &nbsp;because I&#39;m not on a tight budget, I can afford to buy some expensive tackle, but it does not follow that this will be the best for me.

I will not be retiring for a few months so time will be limited until the end of the year. If I do find myself in Pembrokeshire I will take you up on your offer.

I will keep you posted

Fred</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts