World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a few hours on the clock of Solent Warrior now. Does she work out as a 'fishing cruiser'?

New Haven Sea Warrior, I would suggest, is the link between early privately run small/medium displacement fishing boat . . . if it floated, then it was pushed into service . . . leading to the current, high speed, modern cruiser style plastic offerings. Very nice these new style craft are too. However, there is an undefined something in 'classic old' that, for me, has a draw. Cars, trains, lorries, post war to the eighties they turn heads, nothing vintage, just a draw, character, nostalgia???

So, Solent Warrior is an early eighties model, 28ft x 9.5ft, 34" draft and displacing approx 4 tons. Power is a Ford Mermaid Majestic 6c, IC TC 180hp inboard diesel. She is build to an internal yacht finish. Its very obvious as one looks through the used boat ads, considering the number of NH Sea Warriors built over the years, (they are still in production as the 'Mitchell 28'), the number for sale is very limited and they hold their price. A lot were home finished, to a variable standard, even the 'painted shutter ply' jobies command a surprisingly high asking figure? More evidence of this scarcity is demonstrated to me by a local marina that has an amazing number of Sea Warriors, rarely coming up for sale.

Why do owners stick to them? The accommodation/fishing area is about 50/50, the saloon/wheel house/galley of the standard layout as per 'Sea Warrior' is adequate for two/three for a weekend. Fishing space, 4 in comfort.

Handling, I have heard a few negative comments, so what have I found? I have not found handling to be a problem, especially in the confines of the marina, she will stear when going astern, she is easy to put onto her berth finger, and is not affected unduly by side winds.

So to sea, the semi displacement hull exhibits the extreme fine entry bow reminiscent of the Nelson type hulls of the era. How close the Sea Warrior hull is to a 'Nelson' form, I'm not sure, but it certainly rides like one, cutting through big seas, putting up a big bow wave, which is thrown well clear. However because the water moved is large, beam on wind will blow spray into the cockpit, I dont find this a problem as any boat will be wet at speed with beam on wind!

She is capable of 17kts, however, is very happy at river speeds 6 to 8kts, has a sweet spot at 9.5kts and cruses at 11 to 12kts with 1,900rpm on the engine, that returns a very acceptable 1.75gls ph. Fast cruise is 12 to 13.5kts at about 2,100rpm.

We have been working on Solent Warrior since December, generally tidying, improving, removing redundant wiring looms! A job I am most pleased with is the 'self launching' anchor that didn't self launch! Tweaking of geometry and adjusting anchor and effective chain weight, gravity launch and winch retrieve is now achieved totally from the safe confines of the cockpit, and we still have 9 metres of 7mm chain to 100m of 14mm warp.

A fishing platform? Round style semi displacement, narrow (by modern standards) beam. As per any mono hull there is a roll at anchor with a beam on sea, but its of a motion and speed that I find acceptable. She sits to wind and tide better than any boat I have owned previously, especially as I have a canvas type awning cover that extends back over the cockpit almost 6ft, makes a great rain/spray/wind shelter, but the down side is, it should create negative windage? So why does it not seem to affect the way she lays at anchor? Discussing these ideas with my regular boat partner yesterday, we came to the conclusion that the ratio and shape of whats below/above the waterline is a perfect compromise? To prove the windage theory we rolled the canvas sides up, no change.

So personally, I have thumbs up for an old design, not quite as fast as the new breed of craft. I have a 'traditional' style of boat that I find pleasing to the eye, nothing fancy in the repair and maintenance that a spanner and screwdriver cant fix. The engine uses old style, non synthetic oils, which are cheaper by 30%? A full oil/fuel filter set including a Racor 500 cost £13.

She was originally purchased as a stop gap boat, I'm beginning to think the stop gap period may extend somewhat. There is one boat that is better, similar vintage, but a tad bigger which means more fuel and higher berthing fees. As one gets older do I want to go through the rebuild process again?

One negative point, Sea Warriors seem to be sensitive to weight distribution when underway at slow speed, weight distribution in terms of where crew stand when maneuvering. Three crew on one side and she heels, wow **!!!**. Does not seem to be a problem at anchor? I can live with a mark of 9 out of 10:clap2:

The above is a personal view, bassed on my need for weekend type accomodation for myself and my partner. The fact that I am a bit of a retro 60's-70's (Life on Mars) freak, prefering every thing from cars to music of that era. Undesputed fact, modern machinery is better when functioning, but more redaly fails and is expensive, dificult, if not imposible to repair, 'throw it away and get a new one', how green is that? These days I have 3 large wheely bins!! in the 60's I had one that was half the size of one wheely bin and it was more than adequate?

Flower power rules:notworthy :laugh: :wheelchai

ET's OPO

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
looks a nice boat was ya out yesterday near trinity terminal by the cranes on felixstowe dock by any chance ????

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
as said before when i win the lottery. that is a lovely fishing boat from top to toe ( bow to stern). classic hard wood look is very pleasing to the eye, making a more homely feel when cruising and fishing.

any way mate been down that stour yet, there is a few eels and bass showing with still plenty of small codling.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as said before when i win the lottery. that is a lovely fishing boat from top to toe ( bow to stern). classic hard wood look is very pleasing to the eye, making a more homely feel when cruising and fishing.
The work I have done is rewarding, much cant be seen, but the the hull polish, new teak mast and array makes her, to my eye, very appealing. Also very rewarding in that, I have been able to do a lot myself. Previous boat 'KT' was lovely but my poorly knee restricted where I could get to and therefore how much I could do, I prefer to get my hands dirty, rather than direct operations.

I still have my mate who is a great help, he did a lot of the basic fashioning work on the teak mast, and got hold of the 'wooden living gold' for a drink! You would not believe how much 'quality hard wood' costs these days!!!***!!!

The mast is oiled rather than varnished, much easier to maintain, used 'Danish Oil' over teak oil and got a wonderful satin finish enhancing the grain.

Before:
Stainless Steal spider of an 'A' frame :yucky:

and After:
Lovely recycled teak wood mast :)

As we did the tidy up, we kept all the old screws and SS fittings, a surprising amount has been or is earmarked for re use. Screws were a particularly useful item, lots coming from my previous boat.

ET's OPO

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
You have done great job, well done you must be really proud. One question, is that 240v power right next to the sink??

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thats an excellent article.You have inspired me to do one on my Mitchell 31 MK 11 when I get a few hours.

Ron
It would be good if more boat owners posted there reviews of the boat/s they own with pictures, very handy for people such as myself looking at buying a boatd in the future.

ET-OPO great review and a great looking boat.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It would be good if more boat owners posted there reviews of the boat/s they own with pictures, very handy for people such as myself looking at buying a boatd in the future.

ET-OPO great review and a great looking boat.
Hi Lucky Dave

I run a web site, non-commercial, with boat reports from owners and others and I am always trying to find people to allow me to use their thoughts on the site.
It has also reports on equipment with again views from users.

If anyone wishes to send me their thoughts on their boat and/or equipment all submisions would be gratefuly recieved.

It might help you when looking for a boat or something.

For a link see my sig at the bottom.

Regards

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts