World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

Has anyone used the new Icon M Sport MKIII Match/Power? If so, how do they compare to other rods in the price range, i.e. original M-Sports, Imax FR, etc?

If anyone has any other recommendations of rods between £100 and £200 I'd like to hear them, I currently use an Imax FR Plus and a Daiwa TDXS 129, but I fancy a change! I mainly fish light mixed ground around Cornwall (especially Fal, Helford and North Coast), casting no more than 6oz + double sandeel.

Cheers,
Brodie.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
I had a cast with the Imax match and now have a match plus. The blurb for the new range suggests the new match is more stiff like the match plus. Not sure why they wanted that. The original match was a very good rod for bites.

Reactions: BP206

·
Registered
283 Posts
Would have no hesitation in rec the rovex rangemaster rods punch way above their price range certainly lighter than the Leeda icons they still have plenty of poke when needed good bite detection well balanced all in all a cracking rod that's well within you're budget.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a 14ft Rangemaster last year, lovely rod until the tip snapped (faulty, just a one-off). I looked for them first but can't seem to find them anywhere, I think they might have been discontinued :(

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
The rangemasters are great rods for the money,I have a pair of the 14' ones. Another great rod for the money is the Tronixpro xenon match. Dont believe how Tronixpro describes this rod! They describe it as a scratching/light estuary rod but its much more than that! Use mine with 6oz and similar baits to yourself. Not as slim as the rangemasters and a bit firmer in the tip.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Summerlands £108.00 anglers corner and veals all have the rangemaster 13ft I'm sure someone has the 14ft a lot cheaper than above 179.00 .
£75 for the 13' is a good deal I think.

Ian.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I have recently purchased both the Match & the Power in the new MKIII, they’ve only had a couple of sessions out on the beach with me but so far I’m very happy with them. I was using 2 TF Gear Delta 14’ rods before these and don’t see a huge difference between them, Leeds’s slightly bigger on the but diameter and a tad heavier but I couldn’t honestly tell you I noticed it whilst fishing. I’m happy enough with them I’ve just ordered the Ultra version too for heavier beach/rock fishing, ideal really as the local shop sells them at £130.00 and for that money I can’t fault them.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I too suggest the Tronixpro Xenons, or even the Alphex rods, although I haven't (yet) had a cast of the Xenons, they look a lot of rod for the money, I use the Naga's, Cobra's, Alphex Conti's both GT's and TT's, and Vipers, so have had experience with Tronixpro rods, and as yet have had absolutely no regrets and rate Tronixpro rods highly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your replies, it's all very useful information for me Kevin, is there a great deal of difference between the Match and Power versions of the Icons?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Thanks for your replies, it's all very useful information for me Kevin, is there a great deal of difference between the Match and Power versions of the Icons?
Match is a softer tip than the power and will be suited to clean ground, the power sits in the middle of the 3 models plenty of backbone to it but still a nice tip on it.......... it was explained to me as a bit of a jack of all trades and if you were looking at buying one to cover a little bit of everything this is where I would go. Not saying the match can’t cope with a little bit of rough or broken type ground but it’s rated to only 6oz and if you’re fishing more testing conditions, stronger tides you may want more lead on the end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts