World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down here in Dorset the new improvements have been finished and offically opened for The New West Bay Harbour, giving greater sea protection for the area, ease of access and longer fishing times for the boats.

The lighting is superb along the walkways and although the fishing jetty will not be constructed for some while (having taken quite an effort from the local fishing community to see it finalised) the fishing potential here looks very promising.

Masses of rocks are in place (brought all the way from France) and they are already getting a good covering of algae. Hoping this will attract a mass of species inshore now the noise of work has finished.

We should see all the usual suspects returning when the warmer waters arrive,and hopefully these massive rock marks may encourage the Wrasse, and a good chance the conger will be attracted to these new homes with plenty of food on offer.

I would be very interested to hear from others who decide to give these new marks a go in the New Year.

Just remember all the relavent safety checks if fishing on rock marks, sea state, flotation suits, footwear and never go alone!

Best of luck and plenty of screaming reels for everyone in 2005 -"Lofty"

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Lofty,

Many thanks for the West Bay update. My daughter lives in Bridport and up until about 2 years ago I regularly fished the piers.

Have the fishing restrictions been lifted? when I was down this summer there was a restriction on the East pier although it was finished.

Please keep us informed.

Thanks

Drew

&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Drew,

The local paper reports the first competition fished from the new pier, just a few small bits, but at least we're all allowed back on!!!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Lofty,

Many thanks for the info. Perhaps we could meet up for a session sometime in the future.

Cheers

Drew

&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Drew,

Next time your down we should certainly meet up out on the new pier or there's the chance of a day on the water, which always appeals! There's quite a few of us mad keen anglers here, anytime your free.

Christmas commitments and now cancelled trips due to continual high winds have left us all with rapidly emptying freezers, and with the frustrating knowledge that the wrecks are stuffed with plump pollack, and that the big Ling will begin to make their appearance.

Even the boys out on Chesil had their competition cut short, mid-match, it's a very dry line time here in "Sunny Dorset" at the moment!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Guys
The weather seems to be stuffing all of us at the moment, and as Lofty say's the knowledge that the wrecks are probably holding some very good fish with more on the way, makes it even more frustrating on the south coast still it can't last forever. can it? so now is the time to make sure all your gear is up together and dream of things to come.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts