World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Wifey got me a Hobie yak for my 40th, quite unexpected but very welcome. Quite a long time paddler but i had a couple of questions for you experienced guys if possible.

First off - the thing came with some wheels that fit into the scupper holes and are okish. the thing is a absolute monster and an easy 50kg with not much loaded on it. I live a walk from the beach but access is down about 20 or so steps then onto sand. Bit of a long shot but could anyone recommend a descent trolley system that could deal with both? Hobie has a sand trolley but like everything they sell it is so expensive. At the moment the wife if helping me carry the thing down to the sand, but she is already getting the hump with lugging it down the steps.

Secondly - ive been taking out 3 rods with me and just fishing in my local bay with a little success. Ive generally been taking a rod rigged with a soft plastic, a drop shop rig, and a patternoster/running ledger with bait. Ive had zero success with the lure and drop shot, but ive been fishing over sand and oyster beds mostly. if you guys are taking multiple rods what bases do you try to cover or is it just a case of rigging when your out there to fit the situation?. I have been generally drifting and i think maybe using the wrong setup for this kind of fishing, considering the tides here are v. fast. I have ordered a anchor trolley so i guess that will change once i can anchor off features over reefs etc?.

Finally, how do you guys store your kayaks?, this thing takes up most of my garrage and at the mo its just sat in the middle right side up. I understand that this can dent the hull long term? do you have any suggestions/cheap gear ideas so i dont do any lasting damage?

Sorry for the bucket load of questions... Cheers Alex.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Regarding trolley see the other post but I don't know how you will get it up the steps.
I mainly lure fish and use a paddle tail on the point with a sandeel slug or similar on a short dropper a foot or so above, sometimes two droppers. Sometimes I use a Texas rig with a curl tail and cast over reef, structure or weed.
I don't usual bait fish.
I don't usually anchor, with a Hobie you can peddle slow and sit above likely spots without the need to anchor or use a drogue. Anchoring in a fast tide can be dangerous, watch lots of videos, Mark Crane? or snapper from Sea Angler magazine does good vids on YouTube.
My Revo 16 is on its side but will be upside down on a hoist system when I get a garage.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would avoid the wheels in scuppers, unless they are especially strengthened , they can cause damage.
As malks said, anchoring is dangerous in strong tides. i don't do it now, I like the freedom to move.
I have my yak stored on the outside of the garage wall on L shaped swinging brackets. Designed for that purpose and cheap.
I think you will need help with those steps.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Alex, I made a version of this
12mm ply (if memory serves me right) for the upright / back and 2 x 8ft lengths of 6" decking for the base. 4 swivels caster second hand off ebay. cheap to make and no lugging around the patio / shed. I didn't bother with the aquaraps support but just placed a bit of foam on the base for the yak to sit on. Wish I had a garage and hoist too.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
The Hobie scupper hole plug in cart is the best trolley for the Hobie on the market.

Have you got the stainless steel one with solid wheels?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Could you make a trolley with multiple wheels distanced in such a way that a couple of wheels are on the steps at all times so it would ride the gaps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is it the pro angler that you have because I can understand the weight issue if that is the one you have.
Hobie use the scupper hole trolley system so they must have faith in it, I don't think I would.

Depending on the size of the steps but perhaps it is possible to have a sheet of thin ply strapped on the under side of the kayak and slide the kayak down the steps so the ply is in contact not the trolley or kayak. Once at the bottom, back on with the trolley, however it may be just too heavy to reverse the process dragging the kayak up the steps.

There is a device called a step walker used by delivery companies to handle item up and down stairways which maybe of some use with mods doing to it in order to work for you. https://www.parrs.co.uk/stairclimber-sack-trucks-c137

Three shredded wheat needed perhaps.

Phil

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hobie use the scupper hole trolley system so they must have faith in it, I don't think I would.
The scuppers are reinforced so they should be ok, I just don't use that type as the balance point is just slightly forward of the seat so I would be taking up a lot of the weight

1 - 8 of 8 Posts