World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of adding a keel band to my boat. Anyone tried the stick on ones that came out a few years back?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I was thinking of adding a keel band to my boat. Anyone tried the stick on ones that came out a few years back?

Sick on ones?? I don't think they could have worked let alone be fitted, blimey I have never heard of such a thing.

Why, if I may ask do you want a keel band. The bands are usually stainless steel, galve' iron or bronze. Each type copes with certain problems, so it would be handy to know what your particular needs are.

Afishionado

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I believe there is a high-tec plastic keel band that can be fitted. Cannot remember what the trade name is but if you contact one of the boat builders - perhaps Arnie at Seahog boats - I am sure you will get a profesional opinion.
When I read about them they sounded OK - but never believe advertising claims.
Surely someone on this forum has first hand experience?

http://www.sailboats.co.uk/Product~Plastic_Keel_Band_Betastrip_Per_Metre_577200.html

The link is one product - There is something else but a quick Google search did not find it. If I come across it I will add. This is it:

http://gmtmarine.co.uk/index.html

Let me know if you use it - will need to do something on my boat for next year.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys,
It's just to protect from beach landings, possible damage if I ever use nylon type rollers, (which I have sitting in my garage), and the very occasional scrape on a rock.
The stick on ones weren't that expensive, if my memory serves me, and would seem worth it for the extra protection.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Fishforce

I have a s/s one on my Warrior.I had it put on when I bought the boat 5 years ago and it has been money well spent, as I launch and retrieve on slipways so no worries about grounding coming back in!!..

I have fitted nylon rollers to my trailer as said keel band chewed the rubber ones!!!!.......However launching and retrieving now so much easier with them on,goes on and off like a dream!!!!!......

Cheers Rexy

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
It's called Keelguard. It's easy to find on google :)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
One of our club members used a nylon/plastic keel band and used stikaflex to stick it to the keel. A couple of screws were used only around the bow area to hold the shape.
Worked a treat, you have to make sure the keel is free from grease and totaly clean.

Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Fishforce

No,I've never had a problem with the boat bouncing on nylon rollers.However,it is held on to the trailer with a pair of strops attached to the rear mooring cleats.

Cheers Rexy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts