World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dusted of a 14ft daiwa fixed spool rod which I have only used around 8 times,cost me around £120 or thereabouts...long beam its called.
Anyway I took it out only to find one of the guide linings has fallen out,on closer inspection the metal ring holding has rusted a tiny bit and actually snapped,tbh I was never really impressed with the guides on it as they didn't look of even average quality.
So now I'm thinking of getting the whole rod re-rung with better guides as it seems a shame to bin it as the blank is almost like new....there is defo another guide about to go the same way.

But which rings are best and likely to survive the salt water and stand the test of time?

I have a shakespeare blue metal k2 14ft which I got a few months after they first came out,cost me £67 and its still going strong without ever having this kind of problem and its seen hundreds of hours and fish...shame the daiwa wasn't of the same quality.

The other thing is who is good at ring replacement around the southampton-dorset area (6+tip) and reasonable with cost as my kidneys are just not worth selling due to a life of abuse!

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Pretty much anything from Fuji is going to last, as they only make guides out of high quality stainless steel. Try www.guidesnblanks.com.

Can't help you with a rod builder local to you.

·
Registered
20,599 Posts
I dusted of a 14ft daiwa fixed spool rod which I have only used around 8 times,cost me around £120 or thereabouts...long beam its called.
Anyway I took it out only to find one of the guide linings has fallen out,on closer inspection the metal ring holding has rusted a tiny bit and actually snapped,tbh I was never really impressed with the guides on it as they didn't look of even average quality.
So now I'm thinking of getting the whole rod re-rung with better guides as it seems a shame to bin it as the blank is almost like new....there is defo another guide about to go the same way.

But which rings are best and likely to survive the salt water and stand the test of time?

I have a shakespeare blue metal k2 14ft which I got a few months after they first came out,cost me £67 and its still going strong without ever having this kind of problem and its seem hundreds of hours and fish...shame the daiwa wasn't of the same quality.

The other thing is who is good at ring replacement around the southampton-dorset area (6+tip) and reasonable with cost as my kidneys are just not worth selling due to a life of abuse!

Thanks for reading.
:) Chris Ward, The rod doctor does all my repairs/refits and I can recommend him for his work and prices or for a single ring most tackle shops can handle it. I did post about cheap rings a few years ago, I recommended spraying them with WD40 before use as I'd had the same problem with a cheap rod but the rings didn't like salt but WD40 sorted them. :)

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply fellas...I'm wondering now if its really worth the cost as it wasn't exactly pricey to start with.
I see daiwa do what looks to me the same rod under the crosscast name but with stainless steel frame guides....the frames on these eyes really are a joke as at least 1 other has a cracked lining from where rust has started, I can't believe they would sell such cack under the daiwa name!
I might have a go at doing it myself....get some eyes and thread and break out the hi-speed drill :BigGrin:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Thanks for the reply fellas...I'm wondering now if its really worth the cost as it wasn't exactly pricey to start with.
I see daiwa do what looks to me the same rod under the crosscast name but with stainless steel frame guides....the frames on these eyes really are a joke as at least 1 other has a cracked lining from where rust has started, I can't believe they would sell such cack under the daiwa name!
I might have a go at doing it myself....get some eyes and thread and break out the hi-speed drill :BigGrin:

No reason not to do it yourself, plenty info on here. Another vote down that part of the world for Chris Ward and also the guides, almost any decent Fuji, possibly MNAG if you want silver or BMNAG if black. Put the high speed drill away, you will hurt yourself or the rod. Some of the finest beach rod builds / re-builds anywhere are Stan P (terminator on here), Rossco, Rich Stewart, all done 100% by hand, no lathes or drills. :):)

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Thanks Stan....the drill bit was a joke btw :smile2:
Fair enough but I`ve seen a good few videos where muppets actually try it on a high speed drill bodge up, blanks go hurtling, one whacked a geezer on the face, total carnage, (but funny):D

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will have to have a look out for those vids on the tube,could do with a giggle :roflmao:...anyway Chris basically confirmed what I thought,that being eyes and labour would mean I paid for the rod twice and that's not worth it.
Although I might have a go myself, in reality it's not worth my money and time but it could be a useful skill to have to be able to replace a damaged guide...and best to practise on a cheapie rod.
I have decided to replace the rod with one of quality so purchased a century excalibur sre,can't wait to give it an outing. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts