World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
862 Posts
Many thanks for the invite Dave, I am coming back to fishing after a very long break and enjoyed reading the club posts the last day or two. I plan to retrieve my 70s vintage gear from the back of the garage tomorrow, all Abu, couple of rods and reels, I'm but not sure of the model numbers, but they will definitely be in need of some TLC.
cheers
Greg

· Registered
9 Posts
An opportunity for new members joining the group to tell us a little about themselves and their vintage tackle related activities.

PS. Sorry the old intro thread was deleted a while back.
i have got a mitchell 624 a 600 and an intrepid seastreak and a millionaire 6hm and a couple of milbro solid glass rods that do everything uptide,downtide spinning and boat cant fault hem in the slightest i have more modern kit but i never use it i love the old school gear

· Banned
465 Posts
Hi Guys

I posted this intro on the main forum, but since I'm real 'old-skool' and wouldn't swap my kit from 'back in the day' for any amount of new stuff, I thought I'd best post this here too, particularly since I think I'll be spending most of my time on this particular part of the forum :BigGrin: Indeed, I'm struggling to see much benefit in new equipment over the stuff I used late 80's and into the 90's. The cost also makes the old stuff seem even better value.

After a 30-year (w0rk) break, I'm returning to sea fishing, with my eleven year old lad who has expressed an interest for some time.

We have a boat trip booked for Thursday with Escape Charters of Cardiff in the Bristol Channel and are looking forward to a week in South Devon in the Summer, around Beesands/Slapton Sands.

Unfortunately I suffer M.E. (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and so am very limited in energy/mobility and have to pace myself extremely carefully. I will be paying for Thursday for some time afterwards, but if I don't push myself occasionally, with the massive restrictions of the illness, life simply wouldn't be worth living. I just count my blessings that I can still presently still do so here and there, with enough time and care. A friend is coming with his lad and so is at least kindly doing the driving.

I still have most of my tackle from childhood including venerable Diawa Millionaire 6HM/RM (beach) and Sealine SL175H (Boat/heavy shore). I was just gutted to find several rods with irreparable damage in the garage and that I must have also inexplicably let my beloved 80's original 1st edition Paul Kerry Supercast go at some point.

A little shopping has consequently been in order and I've picked up a lovely and comparatively cheap Daiwa D Wave Uptide Rod 9ft 6" 4-10oz and Daiwa Seahunter Z Boat Rod 7ft 6in 20-30lb. I also couldn't help myself bidding on (and winning) a Diawa Moonraker-S to replace the beloved original Mk1 Supercast.

Not having a TV until I was 16, it was also a particular joy opening my old tackle box and being able to show my lad what I used to do with my time instead of TV/Games Console; a dozen neatly packed rigs still wrapped around small coarse fishing line spools right ready to go to save time on the boat/beach.

Anyhow, I'm very glad to find this forum and have already appreciated reading a number of threads trying to update myself.

I picked up this beauty to pair up with my existing 6RM for £65 today. It's been barely used. Just a second Moonraker-S to pick up and that's the re-tackle complete. Can't wait for Thursday's boat trip and I'm immensely grateful for the shore tips on fishing the Bristol channel on here.

Kind regards
Tim

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys

I posted this intro on the main forum, but since I'm real 'old-skool' and wouldn't swap my kit from 'back in the day' for any amount of new stuff, I thought I'd best post this here too, particularly since I think I'll be spending most of my time on this particular part of the forum :BigGrin: Indeed, I'm struggling to see much benefit in new equipment over the stuff I used late 80's and into the 90's. The cost also makes the old stuff seem even better value.

After a 30-year (w0rk) break, I'm returning to sea fishing, with my eleven year old lad who has expressed an interest for some time.

We have a boat trip booked for Thursday with Escape Charters of Cardiff in the Bristol Channel and are looking forward to a week in South Devon in the Summer, around Beesands/Slapton Sands.

Unfortunately I suffer M.E. (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and so am very limited in energy/mobility and have to pace myself extremely carefully. I will be paying for Thursday for some time afterwards, but if I don't push myself occasionally, with the massive restrictions of the illness, life simply wouldn't be worth living. I just count my blessings that I can still presently still do so here and there, with enough time and care. A friend is coming with his lad and so is at least kindly doing the driving.

I still have most of my tackle from childhood including venerable Diawa Millionaire 6HM/RM (beach) and Sealine SL175H (Boat/heavy shore). I was just gutted to find several rods with irreparable damage in the garage and that I must have also inexplicably let my beloved 80's original 1st edition Paul Kerry Supercast go at some point.

A little shopping has consequently been in order and I've picked up a lovely and comparatively cheap Daiwa D Wave Uptide Rod 9ft 6" 4-10oz and Daiwa Seahunter Z Boat Rod 7ft 6in 20-30lb. I also couldn't help myself bidding on (and winning) a Diawa Moonraker-S to replace the beloved original Mk1 Supercast.

Not having a TV until I was 16, it was also a particular joy opening my old tackle box and being able to show my lad what I used to do with my time instead of TV/Games Console; a dozen neatly packed rigs still wrapped around small coarse fishing line spools right ready to go to save time on the boat/beach.

Anyhow, I'm very glad to find this forum and have already appreciated reading a number of threads trying to update myself.

I picked up this beauty to pair up with my existing 6RM for £65 today. It's been barely used. Just a second Moonraker-S to pick up and that's the re-tackle complete. Can't wait for Thursday's boat trip and I'm immensely grateful for the shore tips on fishing the Bristol channel on here.

View attachment 1177575

Kind regards
Tim
Very glad to have you here, Tim, and thanks for that great introduction. You have some fine old tackle there and good on you (and Lad) getting back into fishing again. I will send you a Vintage Tackle Club Invite so that you can officially add yourself our ranks.

Cheers,

DAVE.

· Registered
23 Posts
i have got a mitchell 624 a 600 and an intrepid seastreak and a millionaire 6hm and a couple of milbro solid glass rods that do everything uptide,downtide spinning and boat cant fault hem in the slightest i have more modern kit but i never use it i love the old school gear
cant fault you in the slightest man after my own heart

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have Mitchell 624,602a 602 standard and 622 and a host of solid glass rods and a Mitchell 300 I got for xmas when I was a boy I love old school tackle its what I grew up with and its what I use
Welcome, bluecat. I still use my Mitchell 600AP and 602AP sometimes. The 600AP was my first beach reel and I have owned it since about 1979.

· Registered
23 Posts
I have Mitchell 624,602a 602 standard and 622 and a host of solid glass rods and a Mitchell 300 I got for xmas when I was a boy I love old school tackle its what I grew up with and its what I use
iwould also like to thank you for the invite I have modern day stuff as well but I choose to use what iknow milbro rods mithcell reels and now a couple of penn85 reels most of my fishing is from my boat in loch long

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
iwould also like to thank you for the invite I have modern day stuff as well but I choose to use what iknow milbro rods mithcell reels and now a couple of penn85 reels most of my fishing is from my boat in loch long
Some great old stuff there, BC, I have much of that gear myself. Don't for get to click accept (or whatever it says on the invite) to add you to our number. Cheers.

DAVE.

· Registered
272 Posts
Hi, I've just managed to secure myself a 1973 Abu 7000. It was to match up my 484 which was my very first beach set up.

I used to fish a number of matches in my younger days . I still have the first rod rest I made . Hopefully one day soon I will be able to get back out and put them to use.

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, I've just managed to secure myself a 1973 Abu 7000. It was to match up my 484 which was my very first beach set up.

I used to fish a number of matches in my younger days . I still have the first rod rest I made . Hopefully one day soon I will be able to get back out and put them to use.
Welcome. Great old Abu gear you have there. I started with an Abu 484 back in the 1970s and still use one occasionally now, great rod. Good to read that you plan to fish with them. I've sent you an invite so you can sign up to the group.

Cheers,

DAVE.

· Registered
221 Posts
Hullo, is it invite only to this part of the forum or can anybody join?
I'm new to sea angling, after a looong break from coarse fishing many years ago so much is new to me.

By chance, and not wishing to have a huge outlay until I've found my feet, I've got two Brent beachcasters (believed to be Conoflex made) married to new reels. Once I get the hang of this casting malarkey, will start looking for some reels that better match the rods. Any recommendations?

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm new to sea angling, after a looong break from coarse fishing many years ago so much is new to me.

By chance, and not wishing to have a huge outlay until I've found my feet, I've got two Brent beachcasters (believed to be Conoflex made) married to new reels. Once I get the hang of this casting malarkey, will start looking for some reels that better match the rods. Any recommendations?
Welcome, SH. Feel free to join.

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Or are you looking for something of a similarvintage to your rods and relatively cheap ?

· Registered
221 Posts

Or are you looking for something of a similarvintage to your rods and relatively cheap ?
Maybe. I'll be guided by those with a greater knowledge of sea angling than me.

My current reels are Vigor Lineaeffe FD70, bought because they were new, cheap & recommended. They are fixed spool which is fine until I can perfect my casting techniques, which at the moment need a bit more practice. Then I'll hopefully move onto multiplier reels.

Its all still a bit new to me so I'm hopeful that as the weather improves & I have good fishing marks nearby, that I can get out more & improve both skill, knowledge & catch quota.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.