World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am a new member to the site. Used to fish Shoreham to East Preston regularly but then due to work and family committments I stopped for about 15 years (poor excuse I know !!!)
Last summer i was talking to a colleague and fishing came into the conversation. I discovered that he loved fishing. I promptly invited myself on his next trip !!!

I have now been back fishing for about 6 months and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I only get the chance to fish on a Friday night or Saturday at moment due to work but will try to get out whenever an opportunity arises. Have fished Shoreham arm and the marina a few times but mainly go off the beach at Lancing.

I have been trawling the board for a little while now and picked up some excellent tips from you all.

Please forgive me if i ask any silly questions !!

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum Phil. If you don't know the answer, then question can't be silly:) so ask away - you'll find 99.9% of anglers will give you good tips and information.
I'm a Lancing/Shoreham angler myself and if you want some good fishing company then why not join the SAS. We have regular meets and are a fun crowd with a wide mixture of abilities. Email or pm me if you're interested, it's free and all we need are your name and email address.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Hi

I am a new member to the site. Used to fish Shoreham to East Preston regularly but then due to work and family committments I stopped for about 15 years (poor excuse I know !!!)
Last summer i was talking to a colleague and fishing came into the conversation. I discovered that he loved fishing. I promptly invited myself on his next trip !!!

I have now been back fishing for about 6 months and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I only get the chance to fish on a Friday night or Saturday at moment due to work but will try to get out whenever an opportunity arises. Have fished Shoreham arm and the marina a few times but mainly go off the beach at Lancing.

I have been trawling the board for a little while now and picked up some excellent tips from you all.

Regards

Phil
Welcome to the site matey:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to the forum Phil. If you don't know the answer, then question can't be silly:) so ask away - you'll find 99.9% of anglers will give you good tips and information.
I'm a Lancing/Shoreham angler myself and if you want some good fishing company then why not join the SAS. We have regular meets and are a fun crowd with a wide mixture of abilities. Email or pm me if you're interested, it's free and all we need are your name and email address.

i have one for you mesito:
if you caught a fish and it swallowed the hook and you could not get it out no mater how you tryed. what would you do.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Welcome aboard, Phil. Had spells away from the sport myself due to family, work and beer committments. Hope you can make it to some of our meets - a good way of getting back up to speed quickly!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Welcome to the forum Phil.
Your in safe hands with the guys down that way,
and at times we all ask silly questions without realising itso dont worry about it have fun

·
Registered
238 Posts
if you caught a fish and it swallowed the hook and you could not get it out no mater how you tryed. what would you do.
id cut the line as close as i could to the mouth and let it go
the hook will find its way out sooner or later and with less harm to the fish

L

·
0 Posts
Hi there and welcome - petes advice is spot on many hooks will corrode away in just a few days unless you using stainless steel jobbies.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If I am fishing exclusively for flatties then I'd most often be using fine wire hooks which can straighten out without undue pressure on the fish using long nose pliers or a bar with a notch cut in the end.
If as you say the hook is irretrievable then I'd cut the line as near to the eye as possible and hope the fish has a fighting chance - I did read somewhere that flatfish have extremelly corrosive digestive system. I don't know that for certain however, but it's got to be better option than slicing through the flesh.
If the fish was for the pot then I'd kill it and cut the hook out rather than forget about it and have it in my own finger at a later date.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
welcome to the web,,,,,,,,,there are many on here who will give u sound advice...and sometimes ,,,i like to be silly,,,in a very serious world,,,it helps TIGHT LINES

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I did read somewhere that flatfish have extremelly corrosive digestive system. I don't know that for certain however, but it's got to be better option than slicing through the flesh.
You would be right sir....after all, they eat muscles WHOLE...shell and all. Dont fancy the chances of them passing it without their stomach acid breaking it down:blink:

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I often gut Bass and have found hard back Crabs in them 3-4" across in them.
So much for fish feel pain !!
If you cant get to the hook then it`s more than likely just in the throat of the fish but not in the stomach, therefore I would have thought it was sea water corrosion that would get rid of the hook rather than anything to do with the fishes stomach juices.
Have a good look next time you gut a fish and you will find quite a distance from the mouth to the stomach. When i have kept deep hooked fish ,never have i found the hook in the stomach.
The same goes for flat fish, the hook won`t be in its stomach, so just the action of sea water should corrode it afer a time, but it won`t be the day or two like the Rex Hunts of this world say, more like a week or two or more.
Stick a hook in some sea water and give it a try, i have!!!!
I think that the flesh around the hook might die and give way,alowing the hook to come out the fish befor the hook corrodes enough to break up.

Welcome to the site Phil T by the way.

Alan

Alan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi

Regards

Phil
Hi and welcome to the board I to have not been sea fihing for years till recently and the advice and friendship picked up in the last 4 weeks or so has been 500% dont be afraid to ask any question someone will give you an answer.

Hope to catch you out and about very soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts