World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
go for the shimano charter special 2000ld.

lever drag and a level wind.

harder wearing than the abu's imho.

C

·
0 Posts
The Penn 535 is a great reel but given the choice of that or the Shimano TLD15 I would go for the shimano mainly because of the lever drag.

T

·
0 Posts
May be a bit big, but I am selling an almost new Torium 30 for £75 plus postage.

Stunning reel, but I have them coming out of my ears at the moment and need to slim down the collection....

·
Registered
464 Posts
TLD 15. Loaded with Braid. Recommended to me by at least 3 charter skippers as tough enough to take whatever british waters can throw at it. Lasts for years. Just remember to wash it and back off the clutch after each trip.

I've got one!

T

·
0 Posts
I kind of agree with what Terry says about the TLD's, but I do have a reservation.

They are tough as nails and will handle pretty much anything with not a whole lot of care given back. IT is for this reaon that charter skippers rate them. They have enough to do without worrying if the fishing gear is going to work.

My grump (I always have a grump about something) is that they are not nicest reel to actually use. They aren't very fast, smooth or comfortable. But, as said, they are a workhorse.

Tom

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'll agree with that Tom. But you would want one in your box on a trip to do some wrecking. It might be 4.2:1 but you have the control.

PM on the Torium as well.

·
Registered
464 Posts
IMHO the quality of these reels have lessened over the years. I've see too many people experiencing trouble with the clutches. They seem to wear on just the pull-up of drift fishing. Braid can get trapped (and damaged) between the spool and casing. Just don't last. But all this is my opinion. No doubt, somebody will have used one for years without any problems.

Ebay is full of them. That always makes me question things.

T

·
0 Posts
Why No? Whats wrong
No offence Potter, but apart from an ABU5500 I still use for a bit of Bass fishing I wouldn't touch another Abu reel with a barge pole.

30 years ago they were the mutz nutz and have sold a gazillion reels based on that reputation, but in the 21st century there are dozens of much better ones out there, beating the original Abu's hands down. Couple that with the latest series from Abu and particularly the 7000 appearing to be made from fromage frias, paper mache, and double sided sticky tape and all does not bode well when attempting to haul in a crash diving 20lb Pollack, bullish 50lb Tope or angry 60lb Conger. Do that to the reel more than once and the fomage frais turns to creme freche, the paper mache "recycles" itself and the sticky tape loses it' stick.

Tom

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Tom, Totally agree re the Abu 7000, I had a 7000 C4 LD...absolute pants...:(...used oit a few times, it started seizing up...( I had been warned about that BTW) got it repaired and sold it on.....it initially cost me approx £100 I think, I got £50 for it..:(.they are now on Fleabay for £60 new, with free P+P....says it all I think....:(

Tho', I still have a circa 70's 6000, in as new cond, it gets abused ,and still comes back for more....:):)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yes, in my industry it's called "Value (Or accountancy based) Engineering". You take a basically sound product and see what you can take away to make it appear the same. But be cheaper to manufacture. If you can shave 30% off the cost for 5% less reliability. The accountant wins. Providing it outlasts the warranty period. Which in Ebay terms, it's the time it takes to click "Confirm payment" in some cases.:sad:

·
Registered
308 Posts
A good all round reel for the type of fishing you might do would be the Daiwa slosh 30, the slosh 30 is a nicer reel to use than the Penn 535.

I'm guessing you might do a bit of wrecking and possibly come the winter uptiding the channel after the Cod ... as a general all round reel the slosh 30 is a very good reel to have and it’s in your price bracket. It’s not so small that you can’t use it on the wrecks but it’s not too big to use for general all round fishing, Plaice/Bass etc ...

With regards to reel manufacturers having their reel manufactured in the Far East, it’s not only ABU that has taken this decision. Which PENN reels have ceased manufacture in the USA, and are/will in the future to be manufactured in the Far East??? …

PENN/ABU/Shakespeare are the same parent company and once an America Corporation gets their hands on anything it’s the green back that comes first and secondly “the green back” …

1 - 17 of 17 Posts