World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

This is my first time on a forum so please forgive any newbie mistakes. I've been fishing for over thirty years now and still making mistakes. I'd like to think I learn from them, I'd like to think I learn even when I blank. So why do I still blank ?? ???

I'm now in here to share some thoughts and ideas and hopefully pick up on a lot more from all of you out there. My fishing career started off on the sandy beaches of Northumberland and progressed onto the heavy kelp filled rock marks. Since then I've moved around the UK a fair bit. I fished and lived in Devon for a numbe of years. I really enjoyed the fishing down there from the rock marks fishing for wrasse and pollock to the estuaries for flounder. Lots of variety down there. My next excursion was to Arbroath where I felt at home back amongst the kelp for the red codling. Unfortunately I did have time to get out as much as I'd have liked to. From there I ended up fishing the north Essex beaches around Clacton, Walton and St Osyth etc. I have to be honest I know the local lads love fishing these marks and do so very well. A whole load better than I ever did. This just wasn't for me though. There nothing wrong with it I was just out of my comfort zone and preferred the North East beaches and rocks. I'm now exiled to the midlands and couldn't be any further from the sea in the UK. I'm now starting to fish the coast of West Wales, around the Borth and Aberdovy area is where I shall be consentrating. So any advice or help for this area will be very much appreciated. I'd like to catch some coddling a bass from the shore. I've also noticed what appears to be some very nice looking estuaries in this area. I'd love to fish them with light gear and see if they hold any good flounder.

Right sorry for going on. Thanks for having me on here and catch up soon.

Reactions: skidmk

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
Welcome m8 you've certainly been about. Unfortunately is not my area but just wondering is there no canals around where you live for a cheeky we bit of perch, pike roach

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome m8 you've certainly been about. Unfortunately is not my area but just wondering is there no canals around where you live for a cheeky we bit of perch, pike roach
Thanks mate. Yes there are canals and I may try some perch fishing. Thing is though nothing gives me the feeling I get when I'm on the beach. Even if I don't catch it's still a day/night on the beach so a win win situation as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Evening all,

This is my first time on a forum so please forgive any newbie mistakes. I've been fishing for over thirty years now and still making mistakes. I'd like to think I learn from them, I'd like to think I learn even when I blank. So why do I still blank ?? ???

I'm now in here to share some thoughts and ideas and hopefully pick up on a lot more from all of you out there. My fishing career started off on the sandy beaches of Northumberland and progressed onto the heavy kelp filled rock marks. Since then I've moved around the UK a fair bit. I fished and lived in Devon for a numbe of years. I really enjoyed the fishing down there from the rock marks fishing for wrasse and pollock to the estuaries for flounder. Lots of variety down there. My next excursion was to Arbroath where I felt at home back amongst the kelp for the red codling. Unfortunately I did have time to get out as much as I'd have liked to. From there I ended up fishing the north Essex beaches around Clacton, Walton and St Osyth etc. I have to be honest I know the local lads love fishing these marks and do so very well. A whole load better than I ever did. This just wasn't for me though. There nothing wrong with it I was just out of my comfort zone and preferred the North East beaches and rocks. I'm now exiled to the midlands and couldn't be any further from the sea in the UK. I'm now starting to fish the coast of West Wales, around the Borth and Aberdovy area is where I shall be consentrating. So any advice or help for this area will be very much appreciated. I'd like to catch some coddling a bass from the shore. I've also noticed what appears to be some very nice looking estuaries in this area. I'd love to fish them with light gear and see if they hold any good flounder.

Right sorry for going on. Thanks for having me on here and catch up soon.
Welcome mate.
I'm from the midlands as well , Worcester area, fish the Bristol channel most of the time.

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
Thanks mate. Yes there are canals and I may try some perch fishing. Thing is though nothing gives me the feeling I get when I'm on the beach. Even if I don't catch it's still a day/night on the beach so a win win situation as far as I'm concerned.
I'm 100% with you m8 but when tide times and conditions are against me I'll get the ultra light gear out & head to the canal. For me it's all about getting a rod in the water rather than location, having said that harbours & rock marks are where I get my kicks

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome mate.
I'm from the midlands as well , Worcester area, fish the Bristol channel most of the time.
Thanks mate,

I've always fancied a chuck down in the channel for the codling. Will have to tap into your knowledge of the marks down there sometime.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 100% with you m8 but when tide times and conditions are against me I'll get the ultra light gear out & head to the canal. For me it's all about getting a rod in the water rather than location, having said that harbours & rock marks are where I get my kicks
Yes I agree that any fishing is better than no fishing. I do a bit of trout fishing as well. I know you have many good trout pools up your way.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aye but that's old school lol. LRF is the way forward :)
Haha what can I say? I'm just an old school kind of bloke. I've read a lot on LRF and it does appeal it just finding the time. I already spend six months at sea.( got to pay the bills & buy the bait). Have you ever noticed in Sea Angler that every month the article on LRF they feel the need to dress the LRF lads up in baseball caps, sunglasses and bright hoodies? I think I'd get turned away at the jetty for not being trendy enough haha.

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
Haha what can I say? I'm just an old school kind of bloke. I've read a lot on LRF and it does appeal it just finding the time. I already spend six months at sea.( got to pay the bills & buy the bait). Have you ever noticed in Sea Angler that every month the article on LRF they feel the need to dress the LRF lads up in baseball caps, sunglasses and bright hoodies? I think I'd get turned away at the jetty for not being trendy enough haha.
When you read the article take a close look at the rod / reel set up its never the same as the one he's fishing with, all doctored up m8, not worth the paper it's printed on

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you read the article take a close look at the rod / reel set up its never the same as the one he's fishing with, all doctored up m8, not worth the paper it's printed on
You exactly right on that one mate. The Q &A is a joke as well. I think they make up the questions themselves so they can give the answers they want. Quite often the same old questions recycled and worded differently but still the same old question. How many times does A.Y. repeat the fact that you need to be able to wrap your thumb around the spool of a multiplier and you can't do that with a level-wind? Sorry for the rant, just pees me off.

P.S. I do t buy it anymore.

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
You exactly right on that one mate. The Q &A is a joke as well. I think they make up the questions themselves so they can give the answers they want. Quite often the same old questions recycled and worded differently but still the same old question. How many times does A.Y. repeat the fact that you need to be able to wrap your thumb around the spool of a multiplier and you can't do that with a level-wind? Sorry for the rant, just pees me off.

P.S. I do t buy it anymore.
Hahaha bang on but what he fails to tell you is if your on a boat fishing for tope get your thumb out the bloody way or you'll have no skin left lol

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hahaha bang on but what he fails to tell you is if your on a boat fishing for tope get your thumb out the bloody way or you'll have no skin left lol
I don't know the figures, I'm not in there line of work but I'd imagine they must have taken a hit over the last ten years or so now that there are forums like this. Where you can read and discuss matters that are more relevant to you and get more honest opinions not read reviews that have basically been written by the tackle manufacturer and given to the magazine. Then told publish this or we withdraw our advertising money. In reality this is what happens. Forums are going to leave the mags way behind.

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
I don't know the figures, I'm not in there line of work but I'd imagine they must have taken a hit over the last ten years or so now that there are forums like this. Where you can read and discuss matters that are more relevant to you and get more honest opinions not read reviews that have basically been written by the tackle manufacturer and given to the magazine. Then told publish this or we withdraw our advertising money. In reality this is what happens. Forums are going to leave the mags way behind.
Aye totally but saying that i think I learnt a lot in the days of yawn lol.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aye totally but saying that i think I learnt a lot in the days of yawn lol.
I suppose for anyone starting out there will be so useful bits in there. I know I did actually pick up so thing from there when I was a kid and I'm not to big headed to admit there would no doubt be something in there that I could learn now. I'm just not keen on forking out for it when there plenty free advise out there. I mean if a complete newcomer popped up now and asked can anyone show me how to tie a pulley rig I'm sure they would get loads of people offer to show them. Friendly bunch that we are haha.

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
I suppose for anyone starting out there will be so useful bits in there. I know I did actually pick up so thing from there when I was a kid and I'm not to big headed to admit there would no doubt be something in there that I could learn now. I'm just not keen on forking out for it when there plenty free advise out there. I mean if a complete newcomer popped up now and asked can anyone show me how to tie a pulley rig I'm sure they would get loads of people offer to show them. Friendly bunch that we are haha.
Also I'll tell you what I learnt, the pages are glossy and don't burn proberly in the fire lol. Words of wisdom

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also I'll tell you what I learnt, the pages are glossy and don't burn proberly in the fire lol. Words of wisdom
Useful tip for anyone out there thinking of starting a fire lol

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do try other types of fishing but it like having a wife and a girlfriend. Sea fishing being the wife. You can go and have a bit of fun with the girlfriend but you always end up back at the wife.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thanks mate,

I've always fancied a chuck down in the channel for the codling. Will have to tap into your knowledge of the marks down there sometime.
Well I ain't no expert.
There's a few different marks down by Portishead, some easy uns and some tough muddy uns.
A lot of it is down to the hight of the tide.
Not much in the way of cod down there at the mo.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I ain't no expert.
There's a few different marks down by Portishead, some easy uns and some tough muddy uns.
A lot of it is down to the hight of the tide.
Not much in the way of cod down there at the mo.
Thanks for that Mick. I'm away working at the mo so no idea when I'll even get out next never mind get down that way but like I say it's somewhere I've always fancied. Will maybe try a post closer to the time.

Reactions: mikeyfelley
1 - 20 of 23 Posts