World Sea Fishing Forums banner

new or second hand

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would be interesting to know how many andlers out there when considering buying themselves another rod if they would go for a brand new rod in say the 140-160 quid price bracket or go for a second hand centuary tip tornado / conoflex/ top range diawa Im not including zzipys because they would normally be out of this price range but if you are prepared to spend the time hunting about you can find some real bargains Buying a rod that maybe has rings gone or needs a rebuild there are plenty of online videos that can show you how to do this yes you need to have a bit of the diy in you and some folk cant do this I hope that no one takes offensive at this comment but some folk cant just like I cant use the modern tech with computers Im hope less!!!!!! But stripping a rod down to its bare bones and doing it up and then using it to catch has something that shop bought rods cant offer be interesting to see what other folk think the only thing buying second hand is that the basic b!ank/spigot have to be sound the cosmetic things can be done to your own spec ie colour of shrink tube reel fittings / ABU grip lock takes some beating up to you lads and asses on your thoughts The best to you all and please forgive me if I dont reply to everyone if i gey any ans!!!!! this is an o?d amazon fire tablet well past its sell buy date need to get something new!!!!!

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
It would be interesting to know how many andlers out there when considering buying themselves another rod if they would go for a brand new rod in say the 140-160 quid price bracket or go for a second hand centuary tip tornado / conoflex/ top range diawa Im not including zzipys because they would normally be out of this price range but if you are prepared to spend the time hunting about you can find some real bargains Buying a rod that maybe has rings gone or needs a rebuild there are plenty of online videos that can show you how to do this yes you need to have a bit of the diy in you and some folk cant do this I hope that no one takes offensive at this comment but some folk cant just like I cant use the modern tech with computers Im hope less!!!!!! But stripping a rod down to its bare bones and doing it up and then using it to catch has something that shop bought rods cant offer be interesting to see what other folk think the only thing buying second hand is that the basic b!ank/spigot have to be sound the cosmetic things can be done to your own spec ie colour of shrink tube reel fittings / ABU grip lock takes some beating up to you lads and asses on your thoughts The best to you all and please forgive me if I dont reply to everyone if i gey any ans!!!!! this is an o?d amazon fire tablet well past its sell buy date need to get something new!!!!!
:) I've several second hand rods, boat and beach. Not because they're cheaper but because I've upgraded and found I liked the ones I'd sold better or I've wanted a particular rod only to find it's been discontinued so looked for a second hand one. This is mainly where I have a rod I like and decided I wanted a pair of them but the only option was to buy a second hand one, Daiwa WKT 13, MTI Bass or Zipplex Federation for beach and Shakespeare Sporting Braid 12-20 and 20-30 or Daiwa TDU Uptide. Mostly now discontinued but still available S/H. :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Cant beat second hand if you know what your looking for , top of the range or other. Ive just got 2 zziplex txl gt,s for less than £ 500. Both of them in mint nick.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your right you can make rods to suit different needs I wanted a rod to fish live baits for bass in the piles on southend pier alas am no longer allowed!!!!! but I got the top section of a 3b test curve carp Rod I found a piece of blur water pipe and using contact adhesive they fitted lovley a 2/12 foot piece was then shrink wrapped new stainless eyes and an abu griplock completed the job It is very powerful and belive it or not I have an old bakerlight penn reel with a bit of filing fits lovley
loaded with 50 lb line straight through it realy is a tough bit of kit it bends but has s lot of power Its just s pity I can't use for the intention it was made for I still take some times but use macky strip for pollack

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have to save up for a year to afford 500 quid jackjock. but I get your drift on hunting in the second hand markets to find really good gear there was a 13ft tip tornado on ebay last week and I went to 145 and with 2 hrs left really thought I got it needed new rings and some shrink wrap only to be beaten with 15 mind to go buy a 150 bid I didnt even see it I was in the shower confident that it wad mine.!.!! bummer!!!!!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I would have to save up for a year to afford 500 quid jackjock. but I get your drift on hunting in the second hand markets to find really good gear there was a 13ft tip tornado on ebay last week and I went to 145 and with 2 hrs left really thought I got it needed new rings and some shrink wrap only to be beaten with 15 mind to go buy a 150 bid I didnt even see it I was in the shower confident that it wad mine.!.!! bummer!!!!!
You bid it to early mate , wait until the last ten seconds and put in what your willing to pay for the item.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Most of my beach rods this last 15 years have been through ebay. You have to be careful to make sure that the rods are genuine and the description correct. Many shortened versions come up for sale with no explanation, often a new tip ring is the only clue (something like that is worth a question to the seller to have an accurate measurement of the tip length checked). It's not uncommon for a cheap rod to have a "Conoflex" label or similar stuck on the butt!

Apart from being very careful, I have found ebay quite a reliable source of good rods. Usually I get a quality Century or Conoflex for around a third of the new cost. Best of all, after a couple of years use, I can sell them for about what I have paid!

My first Century off ebay was a Tip Tornado Boron which turned out to be quite rare. Followed by a G1, Carbon Metal Mk1, CM Crest, SS and a couple of others along the line.

Just waiting for a T700 or T800 to show up now, though may be a couple of years until the price is right. They will still be exceptional rods in 2020!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most of my beach rods this last 15 years have been through ebay. You have to be careful to make sure that the rods are genuine and the description correct. Many shortened versions come up for sale with no explanation, often a new tip ring is the only clue (something like that is worth a question to the seller to have an accurate measurement of the tip length checked). It's not uncommon for a cheap rod to have a "Conoflex" label or similar stuck on the butt!

Apart from being very careful, I have found ebay quite a reliable source of good rods. Usually I get a quality Century or Conoflex for around a third of the new cost. Best of all, after a couple of years use, I can sell them for about what I have paid!

My first Century off ebay was a Tip Tornado Boron which turned out to be quite rare. Followed by a G1, Carbon Metal Mk1, CM Crest, SS and a couple of others along the line.

Just waiting for a T700 or T800 to show up now, though may be a couple of years until the price is right. They will still be exceptional rods in 2020!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
your right about bieng carefull will not part with cash until I have seen the rod which does limit me to the south east there are some bargins to be bought just put in a 64 quid bid for a mk1 tip tornado will see what happens you sound like you have had some good rods and selling them on again is a nice touch I think that conoflex rd are going to be sort after now they hsve closed fown which is such a shame another good hritish firm gone to the wall all the best ken

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
will learn my lesson mate but really thought I had it with such a zhort time to go still you live and learn!!!!!
Like I said , the crafty bidders wait till there's no time to go that way you cant come back at them. One other little tip always put some thing always on the end of your maximum bid as a example , £32.00 ------ £32.52, most people will nearly always bid the straight numbers ie £32.00 . [ MINES A DOUBLE VODKA PLEASE ].

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like I said , the crafty bidders wait till there's no time to go that way you cant come back at them. One other little tip always put some thing always on the end of your maximum bid as a example , £32.00 ------ £32.52, most people will nearly always bid the straight numbers ie £32.00 . [ MINES A DOUBLE VODKA PLEASE ].

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
your spot on mate thanks for The advice will get you 3-4 vodkas if we ever meet that's s handy litte trick to know will remember next time Im on eBay looking for bargins cheers snd hope you're catching when you're out all the best ken

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Not just 2nd hand bargains on ebay. Some great end-of-line deals on new gear and sometimes you get the big name companies (Fox for example) trying to get a new range recognised.

Probably a decade ago now Fox were selling a range of sea rods through various outlets (inc. ebay) at very good prices. I took a chance on one boat rod as the spec was so good (Fuji Alconite guides etc), that was a great rod so I bought a few more from the range.

Watch this forum for tips about bargains and then move quickly. I bought a Shimano top spec Continental style rod for less than half price and then gave the details on the WSF tackle section. Amazingly the remaining rods were still for sale at that dealers a week later!

By that time I had found out how good the rod was in comparison to my other Conti style rod - so I bought another! Why so many were buying cheap and nasty when they could have had the Shimano still has me beat!

If you have the time to browse you will find your bargains!

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
If I knew the person selling I would happily buy second hand upto £200 but blindly over the internet, afraid anything over £50 for me is too much to risk a piece of crap arriving in the post. I do appreciate that the more you pay the less chance of a broken or dodgy rod but for £100 there are lots of new rods about.

·
Banned
217 Posts
My only thought with the issue of second hand rods is to know what you are buying. There are plenty of Zziplex / Century rods for sale, for top money, that are up to 20 years old, have had various rebuilds and god knows how many owners. Some of the AFAW rods are getting on for 10 years old it doesn't necessarily make for a bad rod but if half a dozen anglers have used and abused it over its life it is more likely to give you problems. There are bargains to be had but the guys that get them tend to have done their homework, ask the right questions and know a bit about the model they are buying.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts