World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any suggestions on a new outboard for my seahog hunter. 2 or 4 stroke, make and hp. At the moment i've got a 40hp volvo penta which is causing no end of grief and nobody wants to touch it,so i'm looking for something new and reliable to get my confidence back as i can trust the volvo.....any suggestions more than welcome :confused:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
oby, I can recommend Mercury, 2 or 4 stroke they have always had an excellent record, even the water skiers (who give engines grief) use them.
ChrisP has one, & he is the "oracle", so the case is rested!
blueskip

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Volvo Penta outboards have no been made since the 60's so you have done well to keep it going so long.

Hunters are rated to 70hp I think, they will take that power but I always think they are a bit low at the back with so much weight on the transom, especially if you hang a small engine on there as well. They fly with a 50hp and a calm day and to me they look right on the water with that size.

There is not much difference between 2 and 4 stroke, the 4 is usually more fuel efficient but not allways. It is quieter than a 2 and heavier. Where they are good is slow running, you can troll with the 4 without oiling the plugs up.

I only got Mercury as that was the make my local dealer supported so I have bits available. There is not much to choose from between the manufacturers. Where you can save is if you have a Tohatsu dealer near you, their 4 stroke is a rebadged Suzki so you can save a few bob there. Tohatsu (Nissan) are the only company to warrant their engines for racing so that says something about them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Obey,
As Chris says, a 50 4 stroke is about the max I would fit on a seahog. I owned one for 15 years, 12 of those years with a yam 30hp 2 stroke and 3 with a yam 50hp
4 stroke fitted.To say it flew with the 50 fitted is an under statement. The first thing you want to do, is check the transom on the hog, if it flexes in anyway it will need looking at! I had to rebuild the transom on mine prior to fitting the 50 4 stroke, water had entered in from the top of the transom and caused the ply to delaminate, basically no strength left in the wood. Sorry about the tale of woe. As Chris also mentioned the Tohatsu is a very good buy, because locally the Suzuki has a good name, and they are the same engine apart from the badge and price! Another twist to it all, is the Yams and Mercury powerheads in the larger 40hp to 100hp range are the same, but again the prices are different. I bought my latest boat as a package, and it has a Mercury 90hp 4 stroke which has carbs, if I was on the look out for a new engine, I think I would go for one with EFI because the fuel saving is even greater.

Cheers Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts