World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went out yesterday for my birthday.

Now, my dad hates to travel, and i hate fishing grays. I knew the only way to get him out was to take the dive and fish there.

Picked a mark i new was alot more broken ground than usual and that i was sure in my dreams would hold some decent bass .

Picked up 10 packs of monster rag, and fished hard changing baits every ten minutes . High tide was at 1 , i arrived at 10 which was an hour later than i wanted, but hey ho.

Dad had a tiny tiny bass about an hour after high tide , wind was kicking up . Glad i bought the shelter today

I looked up , to see the whole top section of my cobra gt doubled over and nodding on the rod id flicked under the jetty!!!!! Could this be the decent bass ive been after for weeks ?

LOCKED INTO THE JETTY AND STILL FEEL BOUNCING! FFS !

pulled and held the rod for maybe 1 minute before i decided to just loosen off my drag and put the rod down. As i did, i can see dads tronix tip bouncing about !!! Have a shoal just moved in ? Has what snagged me up moved onto his bait.

No need to strike , rod locked over but i cant see no thumping or bumping around, but dads got this serious look on his face and keeps repeating "if this is a fish its a fkujdkg monster !!! " i stayed seated until i saw he was close and he shouted , nearly in tears lol "get the net its a bass massive bassss!!"

You guys need to understand my dad is very much a pleasure fisherman ie he dont go round the country like a madman chasing species like i do , and is more than happy flatty bashing .
So i could very well understand why he was freaking out!

Fish really woke up under the rod tip, as soon as i saw it was a bass i loosened his drag a bit, the penn battle 2 felt like butter of course, and kept telling him to just stay calm while i tried to get a net under it. The lead sleeve insert he brought me down hadnt even been put in so was struggling, especially as the thing was head thrashing and i could see the hook , a very light hook up also!!

When it slid over the net , as jealous as i was i was absolutely ecstatic .

"YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!" I SCREAMED AS LOUD AS I COULD WITHOUT EVEN MEANING TO !

Me and my dad have fished grays lots, never caught anything decent really , just the odd schoolie etc, but this thing was like a submarine !!

I thought around 5lb mark as it looked bigger than my 4lb one, strangely only went 3lb14z, which we didnt even care about. The fish looked huge! Was only a few cm short of the width of my xl tronix drop net !!

Anyway, i was freaking out inside praying my dad didnt keep it ,so im unwrapping his rig from the net so i can drop her back down for a breather before pictures and weighing, he says dont worry about that just get some pictures and weigh her .i thought that was her lot when he said that .i would of legit had a falling out with him, and then i think he fell in love with her too . She was perfect. Perfect condition, honestly i cant believe how big it was we were both gobsmacked! He said you gotta be mad, i said " dad, i beg you..... please put her back, PLEASEEEEEE!!!!"

anyway. I think he could see how much i loved her and i think he fell in love to , as after weighing her and pictures, during which she had 3 more dunks in the water to keep her ok ,he was freaking out with me saying i hope she dont go belly up and climbing all sorts of ledges to get her in the drink ..

We had trouble releasing her out of the net, so after a few minutes recovery in the net, he held her by the bottom lip , and just dropped her ever so gently the 2ft or so he couldnt reach !!!!! And she bolted off straight away into the chocolate coloured water.

Theres only one thing i love more than catching fish, and thats seeing my dad catch .
I do anything for my dad to come fishing. I buy all his rods, reels, tackle, bait etc. Anything for time with him is worth it

Fantastic day !!!!
Love you dad xxxx

Ps, pictures dont really show how big she was, his hands are like shovels hes 6ft and 19 stone lol

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Told ya the bigger ones would be up the river soon lol fair play, i give it a miss this weekend,i thought there would of been too much fresh water in the river, obviously i was wrong lol i dont think i would of put it back myself though, good eating size mmmm lol

·
Registered
617 Posts
Only one thing better than your write up---your attitude, especially towards your old man. Well done the two of you

·
Registered
380 Posts
Great report and pics. Well done on returning the fish.
Great to read a fantastic father son relationship. :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Went out yesterday for my birthday.

Now, my dad hates to travel, and i hate fishing grays. I knew the only way to get him out was to take the dive and fish there.

Picked a mark i new was alot more broken ground than usual and that i was sure in my dreams would hold some decent bass .

Picked up 10 packs of monster rag, and fished hard changing baits every ten minutes . High tide was at 1 , i arrived at 10 which was an hour later than i wanted, but hey ho.

Dad had a tiny tiny bass about an hour after high tide , wind was kicking up . Glad i bought the shelter today

I looked up , to see the whole top section of my cobra gt doubled over and nodding on the rod id flicked under the jetty!!!!! Could this be the decent bass ive been after for weeks ?

LOCKED INTO THE JETTY AND STILL FEEL BOUNCING! FFS !

pulled and held the rod for maybe 1 minute before i decided to just loosen off my drag and put the rod down. As i did, i can see dads tronix tip bouncing about !!! Have a shoal just moved in ? Has what snagged me up moved onto his bait.

No need to strike , rod locked over but i cant see no thumping or bumping around, but dads got this serious look on his face and keeps repeating "if this is a fish its a fkujdkg monster !!! " i stayed seated until i saw he was close and he shouted , nearly in tears lol "get the net its a bass massive bassss!!"

You guys need to understand my dad is very much a pleasure fisherman ie he dont go round the country like a madman chasing species like i do , and is more than happy flatty bashing .
So i could very well understand why he was freaking out!

Fish really woke up under the rod tip, as soon as i saw it was a bass i loosened his drag a bit, the penn battle 2 felt like butter of course, and kept telling him to just stay calm while i tried to get a net under it. The lead sleeve insert he brought me down hadnt even been put in so was struggling, especially as the thing was head thrashing and i could see the hook , a very light hook up also!!

When it slid over the net , as jealous as i was i was absolutely ecstatic .

"YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!" I SCREAMED AS LOUD AS I COULD WITHOUT EVEN MEANING TO !

Me and my dad have fished grays lots, never caught anything decent really , just the odd schoolie etc, but this thing was like a submarine !!

I thought around 5lb mark as it looked bigger than my 4lb one, strangely only went 3lb14z, which we didnt even care about. The fish looked huge! Was only a few cm short of the width of my xl tronix drop net !!

Anyway, i was freaking out inside praying my dad didnt keep it ,so im unwrapping his rig from the net so i can drop her back down for a breather before pictures and weighing, he says dont worry about that just get some pictures and weigh her .i thought that was her lot when he said that .i would of legit had a falling out with him, and then i think he fell in love with her too . She was perfect. Perfect condition, honestly i cant believe how big it was we were both gobsmacked! He said you gotta be mad, i said " dad, i beg you..... please put her back, PLEASEEEEEE!!!!"

anyway. I think he could see how much i loved her and i think he fell in love to , as after weighing her and pictures, during which she had 3 more dunks in the water to keep her ok ,he was freaking out with me saying i hope she dont go belly up and climbing all sorts of ledges to get her in the drink ..

We had trouble releasing her out of the net, so after a few minutes recovery in the net, he held her by the bottom lip , and just dropped her ever so gently the 2ft or so he couldnt reach !!!!! And she bolted off straight away into the chocolate coloured water.

Theres only one thing i love more than catching fish, and thats seeing my dad catch .
I do anything for my dad to come fishing. I buy all his rods, reels, tackle, bait etc. Anything for time with him is worth it

Fantastic day !!!!
Love you dad xxxx

Ps, pictures dont really show how big she was, his hands are like shovels hes 6ft and 19 stone lol
great bass,hope you pointed it in Suffolk direction when he went back

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
could feel the excitement in your post!!! :cool:...well done, on the release!!..cracking report!!..oly..:cool2:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
First of all well done to your Dad.

Secondly, well done to you for persuading your Dad to put it back.

Most excellent report and photos.

:rofl::)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, he now answers his phone "danny bass speaking".

When i start speaking , he says "i gotta go, facebook posts are going mental , their screaming for more "

HAHAHAHA

1 - 20 of 25 Posts