World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After realising it was over 3 years since I last went pike fishing my mate Andy and I decended on Glasson Dock for a few hours dead baiting. Seeing as the Met Office had forecast a lovely warm sunny day we looked forward to a super day.

Arrived just after 10.30am and for the first 2 hours it did nothing except rain!!!!!!(thank you Dianne Oxbury )

Anyway, we set up and tried our luck, a lad fishing on the point had what appeared to be a nice pike shortly after we arrived and there were 2 lads fishing toward the cafe caravan, during the day they had some jacks.

We decided to try some different styles so over the next few hours we tried various types of ledgering and float fishing. All good fun.

The lad on the point then struck into a REALLY good fish and after about 10 mins battling with it and getting it almost to the net it spat the hook and disappeared. He was REALLY pi**ed off, threw his tackle about, sat in his bivvy for 10 mins or so, came out, packed up and went home(NOT a happy bunny )

Toward the end of the day I put a popped up deadbait out about 25 yards. It had been out for about an hour or so and I had begun to pack up my other rod, Andy said to me "Keep an eye on your other rod" I noticed it was giving line, After a few seconds I struck into what I knew straight away was a decent fish. Sure enough, after a few minutes I landed my new PB pike of exactly 13lb.

Carefully unhooked, few piccies taken, it was returned with a swift and powerfull flick of the tail(giving me a facefull of dockwater ) but I couldnt care less.

All in all, a great day's fishing. Great weather(eventually) great company. Looking forward to the next trip .

·
13,170 Posts
Well done on that fish!

The lads in my local tackle shop keep on at me to go piking. But TBH I'm terrified of catching one. Not of getting bitten; but I understand a pike can die of shock if not properly treated. And I am officially the World's Most Clumsy Anger.

A fish like that would scare me to death.

·
Registered
20,784 Posts
Hey gulp, the main thing with pike especially when fishing with fish baits is not to delay striking and avoid deep hooking the fish.
Long nosed forceps, pliers and wire cutters along with a good unhooking mat are all that's needed really and watching someone that's done it before is a great help.
My local club won't let anybody fish for pike unless they've attended one of their pike "teach ins" where they explain about safe rigs, bite detection and unhooking. Everybody gets to handle a live pike and is shown how to avoid injury to both pike and angler.
And generally, the smaller the pike, the less well behaved they are on the bank and harder to unhook due to having less room in their mouths to remove deeper set hooks.
I've waffled on a bit but basically, go piking with an experienced pike angler and you'll soon get the confidence to do it yourself.
All the best, Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts