World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes ive took the bait and orded a new colapsible pot ready for the bank holiday, Which I might also try on a fresh water drain at some point like anderby to cach eel!!

Now ive got 2 crab pots I might experament abit and have one at good old faithfull Anderby Creek beach and aparently Sandylands is dooing quite well!!

Hope to see you all soon, I may even probably nip onto Mablethorpe beach at high tide to say hello.

Bye for now, Richard

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would check local bylaws before you set your nets as I think you will need a License of some sort to place nets in a drain. The likelihood of getting caught are quite high as local licensed eel netters will report you. Also if you intend to use them on the beach I would avoid areas where the Holidaymakers gather as you could be liable if someone injured them selfs on the nets or stakes. Sorry to be a sourpuss. Tight lines Rob.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Looks like I might be sourpuss'ish mk 2.

I got myself 2 collapsable pots from E-Bay and badgered the EA into letting me have a license so I could legally trap those darn Turkish Crayfish that have found their way into the Upper River Waveney. First trip down I hid those traps right out of the way on a bit of the river where I've never seen anyone. Tucked right into a undercut on the bank and very carefully hidden.

Three days later gone. The string to the post had been cut. Some bugger had found them. I'm guessing a canoeist must of spotted them when paddling past.

It seems like carte blanch these days, it's as though as soon as someone sees something it makes it rightfully his or hers. When I was growing up I darn't even touch the fyke nets out over the marshes no matter how long they looked like they'd been left.

I dunno.

·
Registered
25,005 Posts
Looks like I might be sourpuss'ish mk 2.

I got myself 2 collapsable pots from E-Bay and badgered the EA into letting me have a license so I could legally trap those darn Turkish Crayfish that have found their way into the Upper River Waveney. First trip down I hid those traps right out of the way on a bit of the river where I've never seen anyone. Tucked right into a undercut on the bank and very carefully hidden.

Three days later gone. The string to the post had been cut. Some bugger had found them. I'm guessing a canoeist must of spotted them when paddling past.

It seems like carte blanch these days, it's as though as soon as someone sees something it makes it rightfully his or hers. When I was growing up I darn't even touch the fyke nets out over the marshes no matter how long they looked like they'd been left.

I dunno.
Seems to happen with traps/snares on land too!!!! Unfortunately seems like the people nicking them are knowledgable on the type of places theyd be set and would see a hidden trap easly!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Yes ive took the bait and orded a new colapsible pot ready for the bank holiday, Which I might also try on a fresh water drain at some point like anderby to cach eel!!

Now ive got 2 crab pots I might experament abit and have one at good old faithfull Anderby Creek beach and aparently Sandylands is dooing quite well!!

Hope to see you all soon, I may even probably nip onto Mablethorpe beach at high tide to say hello.

Bye for now, Richard

Where did you get the pot from mate

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would check local bylaws before you set your nets as I think you will need a License of some sort to place nets in a drain. The likelihood of getting caught are quite high as local licensed eel netters will report you. Also if you intend to use them on the beach I would avoid areas where the Holidaymakers gather as you could be liable if someone injured them selfs on the nets or stakes. Sorry to be a sourpuss. Tight lines Rob.
Well when on the beach I always make shure the tide is over my pot b4 I go just incase anyone walking along starts to feel light fingerd! Then the second low tide is at night when theys no1around so i should be ok on the no win no fee part of things, as for the licence yes will be looking into that before I go on a drain!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi m8 i have had lots of crey fish in 1 of those but never had any eels and i put 1 where i was watching 2 1 daytime and not a thing. if you are using them in fresh water or as i found out for crey fish your ment to have a licence. i got a slap on the hand for been bumb and not knowing

·
Registered
113 Posts
cool, I am glad this post came up again. i didnt see it first time around.

I brought two of these pots on monday from ebay for next time I go to the Humber at immingham with a friend. just going to try and catch some crabs for fun then let them go again. we will get there at low tide and set the nets up then fish (with rods) until the tide comes in and goes out again then bring the nets in.

I know there are loads of crabs there due to the amount of bait that was nibbled off of my hooks last weekend :eek:hmy:

what is the best way to weigh the nets down so they dont float away with the tide? we will have ropes to them too :showoff:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Me and the kids did a bit of this in the summer, I just tied a couple of 5oz leads to them the first time. Later I got hold of some 12mm steel bar about 25cm long and bent it to same curve as the pots and tied rapped 3 inside each pot for a neater job.
It was great fun had loads of edibles, shores and velvets no lobsters yet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
cheers for that idea pinkfoot, I will use some stainless from work so it does not go rusty :clap:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
SS! You will have the poshest crab pots in the north sea. lol

You might want to grind a couple of groves in the bar to give the tied wraps something to sit in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts