World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back from10 days of great fishing we have fished two tides a day for the past 9 days
mackerel have been patchy but they are there.as have been pollock to 2lb in abundance on the rock marks also very big whiting in the deep shore channels to 2lbs great sport on light gear lots of plaice to 1lb on worm baited hockeyes.tub gurnard on featheres and plenty of weavers.fished aberaron for mullet on floated bread and maggots 8 fish nothing under three lbs a first for my boy.went bass plugging Yesterday evening in a thunderstorm lots of schoolies my boy hooked into a 4 pounder on a chug bug first for him (returned) we got a good soaking but well worth it. looking forward to next weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Welcome back Lendus,,,sounds like an excellent trip.
Seriously made up for your lad,,,,,bass off the top,,,,doesnt get much better than that. :)

Terry F.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey there fella im off too new quay in 1st week august any tips for shore marks im after any help u can give .hope too hear a reply soon ...is the shellfish factory area producing any fish and where close too new quay itself can i take macky from the beach !!!!????

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Lendusaworm said:
Back from10 days of great fishing we have fished two tides a day for the past 9 days
mackerel have been patchy but they are there.as have been pollock to 2lb in abundance on the rock marks also very big whiting in the deep shore channels to 2lbs great sport on light gear lots of plaice to 1lb on worm baited hockeyes.tub gurnard on featheres and plenty of weavers.fished aberaron for mullet on floated bread and maggots 8 fish nothing under three lbs a first for my boy.went bass plugging Yesterday evening in a thunderstorm lots of schoolies my boy hooked into a 4 pounder on a chug bug first for him (returned) we got a good soaking but well worth it. looking forward to next weekend.

I'm intrigued by the 2lb whiting - that's a very good specimen by normal standards (at any time) in Cardigan Bay! Tell me more! (in other words I wanna catch one!)

Cheers mate - John

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
amazed me two john we usually catch small summer whiting around the 6oz mark and they are usually in abundance a blidy nusance worse than dogs. but for some reason the pollock are in at a good size as well as tub gurnard search me mate! but good sport i aint knocking it. the mackerel have gone out to around ten to twelve miles according to the potters as they went looking for them yesterday for pot bait and they where only joeys. porbeagle shark have been spotted by the dolphin watchers just off shore so its all hapening ive fished these waters for over twenty years and have only caught whiting of this size in feb to march. the fish farm is fishing well early morning from low water up good size bass and mullet being taken on lure and fish bait's get down on the low to the waste heap produced by the fish farm and get your bait there and fish near to it as the water rises be carfull if you dont know the area take a rope and phone and dont fish alone and specially if its wet. tight lines ...clive

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Lendusaworm said:
amazed me two john we usually catch small summer whiting around the 6oz mark and they are usually in abundance a blidy nusance worse than dogs. but for some reason the pollock are in at a good size as well as tub gurnard search me mate! but good sport i aint knocking it. the mackerel have gone out to around ten to twelve miles according to the potters as they went looking for them yesterday for pot bait and they where only joeys. porbeagle shark have been spotted by the dolphin watchers just off shore so its all hapening ive fished these waters for over twenty years and have only caught whiting of this size in feb to march. the fish farm is fishing well early morning from low water up good size bass and mullet being taken on lure and fish bait's get down on the low to the waste heap produced by the fish farm and get your bait there and fish near to it as the water rises be carfull if you dont know the area take a rope and phone and dont fish alone and specially if its wet. tight lines ...clive
This is turning into a wacky old year isn't it! Interesrting to hear of shark being spotted as an angler on Nick Hughes' boat out of Aberystwyth had a screaming run that ended with a 150lm mono trace being chomped - while tope fishing the other day.

Mwnt might also be worth a look then. In May it too was alive with small whiting and doggies, but if they've moved on, and the pollack are about, it'll be worth a bash with redgills/jellyworms while fishing baited feathers on the sand for various stuff.

Did you get the whiting from the breakwater, or up on the headland?

Cheers - John

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is turning into a wacky old year isn't it! Interesrting to hear of shark being spotted as an angler on Nick Hughes' boat out of Aberystwyth had a screaming run that ended with a 150lm mono trace being chomped - while tope fishing the other day.

Mwnt might also be worth a look then. In May it too was alive with small whiting and doggies, but if they've moved on, and the pollack are about, it'll be worth a bash with redgills/jellyworms while fishing baited feathers on the sand for various stuff.

Did you get the whiting from the breakwater, or up on the headland?

Cheers - John

i dont usually fish mwnt untill the small jellyfish are in the water seems more productive and i fish big flapper baits on a pully rig due to the depth and fast running fish they hook themselves. if im fishing two rods hard on the bottom.

i fish aberystwyth in winter only for the cod on the shore as my boating days are over due to back probs. did a lot of shark and tope fishing on the endeviour boats with good results thats another story!

whiting where caught in the deepwater chanell at end of harbour wall near to the rock breakwater 130 yd casts to get in there watch the boats going out and you will be casting in the right place its snag free in there but once you are out of it wind like fury or use a pully rig to get that weight off the snags.

tight lines ....clive

1 - 12 of 12 Posts