World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would really appreciate some advise on buying a new reel, this is only my second season beech casting and uptil now I have been fishing a fixed spool.

I would like to buy a Penn 525 mag but I don`t know the difference between the 525mag, the magT or the new super mag !

Registered
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the Forum.

As Swelleyman has suggested, look through the older threads on the Forum, you will find all your answer and more.

Cheers

Drew

Registered
Hi Bob

Mag 525 is the first mag reel brought out by Penn - braking is controlled purely by magnets (ie no brake blocks) (of course oil thickness and line level also play a part in control). Mags - of which there are 4 - are controlled by a slider on the left hand end plate. Each click of the slider from the slow to fast position makes the reel progressively faster.

Mag525T, is a varation of the Mag525 - used for tournament casting. It has one magnet and is controlled by a large 'screw' on the end plate which the caster adjusts once the lead has been launched toward the horizon.

Supermag is the Mag525 with higher quality bearings and 6 magnets instead of 4 (also has a gold coloured handle to match the spool). The increased number of mags gives an option to run the reel slower than the original with the same oil/line settings.

I am a big fan of the orig Mag525 (havent tried a supermag yet). They have everything for me: Cast well, can handle a wide range of scenarios (clean to semi-rough ground) great winching power and a ratchet. They probably arent as refined and don't cast as well as the Abu Mag Elite, but as far as fishing is concerned I think they win on just about every aspect.

Having said all that, I still love my mag elite... well who couldn't :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.