World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Can anyone recommend a good spinning reel around the £60 mark? I&#39;m looking for distance casting to get better reach and easy retrieval. If cost wasn&#39;t a factor what would be the best reel for me?

Thanks &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
<font color='#000000'>there aren&#39;t really specific spinning rods so your looking for anything thats fairly small (in sea fishing standards) that will match your rod nicely and hold a lot of line - generally, the more line on your spool means the further you will be able to cast your lure. i use a shimano baitrunner 5000GTE which i have found to be really smooth, and the extra baitrunning facility is used when i do a bit of coarse fishing.</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>Thanks I&#39;ll check it out, I want to do a bit of experimenting with line as well to see if I can find a maximum casting distance when everything is together.

What is the single most limiting factor in casting  (apart from technique and weather)

- Rod length
- Rod material
- Line strength
- Line Diameter
- Lure weight/shape
- Reel technology
- Spool size

or something else?</font>

·
Registered
25 Posts
<font color='#000000'>starting with line strength, if its casting distance you want than your after a pretty thin diameter - i use 12lb but wouldn&#39;t go lower than 10lb for sea fishing because you have to think about rock abrasion,etc.
you get extra distance with heavier lures but you should never go too heavy - modern lures of about 3" - 6" are normally fine and you shouldnt need anything bigger. the metal lures cast great and i would reccomend a dexter wedge which casts like a bullet and is a good fish catcher.
look for the larger spools to hold a lot of line but don&#39;t overdo the reel size.
use a rod that is at least 9 foot and go up to about 12 foot, with the longer usually getting better distance. i use a greys grx spin which is 11 foot. i shouldn&#39;t worry too much though because the difference of a foot either way wouldn&#39;t be noticeable when casting. Go for something quite stiff and whippy with a springy tip, but to be honest im not too sure about rod action myself.
if you know a reliable tackle shop then i would seek advice from them - a knowledgeable owner would easily set you up with the kit you need, but watch out for the ones who just want your money. if you fish from rocks/ breakwaters then you may find long casting is not necessary, in which case you might be better looking for some tackle that you are comfortable using rather than gear designed to cast far with.</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>IMHO any well known &#39;branded&#39; rod/reel for spinning (I use a shakespeare rod and abu reel)  9 - 11 ft rod depending on your own preference, and a reel that feels balanced on it.

As far as casting distance for spinners is concerned. (1) distance isnt normally an issue, any whippy casting technique will throw a lure far enough to catch fish ... but having said that ... (2) most important is to fill the reel correctly - that is: fill it right up to the rim of the spool (take the first couple of casts easy to prevent it all tangling up).  Line coming off an under-filled spool will have a lot of resistance from rubbing against the spool lip which will knock yards off your cast (you will see what i mean if you have a test cast with a half full and a full spool).  Braided lines can also add a few extra yards because they are generally about 3 times thinner than equiv breaking strain mono (resulting in a reduction in diameter of line coming off the spool leading to less resistance against the spool ip).  

So in summary: 10-15lb line, or 20lb braid.  Stick to any branded balanced rod/reel combo between 9 and 11 ft that tickles your fancy, and fill that reel to the limit.  You should even be able to find something suitable in the poor excuse for tackle shops we have over here... but I personally would avoid your favourite place where you probably purchased the telescopic number.</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts